Do you use tablecloths or napkins?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:14 PM
I only use napkins for food photos (yeah, I know :) ). In reality, if a napkin/serviette is needed then its a piece of kitchen paper! But, in some restaurants here they are provided. Many India restaurants still have crisp white linen tablecloths and napkins. I don't really understand why as their laundry bill must be rather high.

I don't posses a single tablecloth these days and it seems the trend in all manner of restaurants, including Michelin starred/fine dining, is for bare tables with placemats.

Do you own/use any linen napkins or tablecloths?

Yes.

We own several tablecloths, one for each season of the year, and one for Christmas, as well as a set for outside afternoon teas. There’s a cloth on the table most days (though not right now, I just took it off to wash) - funny thing is, you can count on one hand the number of times a year we eat at the table.

Most days we use paper towels for napkins, but we have cloth ones, and “fancy” paper ones.

There’s a cloth on the table most days (though not right now, I just took it off to wash) - funny thing is, you can count on one hand the number of times a year we eat at the table.

That is a bit odd. Why do you put a tablecloth on a table where you don't eat? Is the table top not good?

Paper napkins from work.

I'm attempting to become more environmentally friendly so I banned paper napkins from my house. I use cloth napkins. Tablecloths, I have a couple ones that I love but never use, I find table mats more practical for day to day use, especially since I eat alone most days.

Yeah, it’s fine, oak (it was my wife’s family table when she was a kid). I just think it looks…dressier with a cloth on.

I prefer a rustic and masculine look for my furniture, so no tablecloths for me.

I do have a good selection of placements for food photos, but no matched sets. If I were to set the table with placemats, they would all be different. :laugh:

CD

That is a bit odd. Why do you put a tablecloth on a table where you don't eat? Is the table top not good?
My "table top" looks very good, according to my husband, yet I still put clothes on everyday! Well sometimes they are just fresh pajamas, but still...

On a serious note, I have absolutely gorgeous kitchen tables that I would never want to cover with a table cloth (which hasn't always been the case). I have two of them that are identical and they both seat 8. I own table cloths but don't use them. I have a very nice Asian silk table runner (never used) that my sister gave me when she was with the state department and her territory was Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, etc. I have holiday themed tablecloths that were my mother's that I never use, though I did when the kids were young and still living at home. I have never been a festive, holiday type person but I did it for the kids to make the holidays special for them growing up. I also have some cotton-backed vinyl tablecloths that I used for outdoor dining when we set up the folding tables for garage dining during the pandemic. I do have some very nice cloth napkins, but usually we just use good-quality paper napkins when we eat our meals. I haven't used a placemat in over 20 years and don't plan on doing so anytime soon.

I do like a nice, crisp tablecloth when in a restaurant (it's been a long time since I have been in one). I don't like a bare, greasy table top that other diners have spilled their food and respiratory droplets on (yes, I know that the server wiped down the table and sanitized it, but how many times was the cloth used on other tables and has it been rinsed out thoroughly in between? Likely not.) I hate putting down my eating utensils on the bare table top. I always ask for extra cloth napkins so I can have my utensils resting on one when putting my napkin in my lap. Fine dining there is always a table cloth in my experience, as well as cloth napkins. If by some reason there wasn't a tablecloth, I would be resting my utensils on the bread plate I suppose.

On a related note, I have been known to keep sani-wipes in my purse and wipe down the condiment bottles and salt/pepper shakers on the tables in restaurants. I also keep hand sanitizer to use after touching the menu. Yeah, I know...

Back
Top Bottom