Do You Use Your Broiler Pan ('Grill Pan' in UK)

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
6:40 AM
I don't know about everywhere else, but here in the US, every stove/range comes with one of these, a broiler pan:

I also know that 99.99999561% of people who have one of these nifty items don't use it. It gets put in the pan storage drawer or tucked away in some cabinet, and three years later, after happening upon it by chance, they'll ask, "Uhhhh, what is this thing, anyway?"

So, what about you? Do you have a broiler pan hiding out in your kitchen somewhere, and if so, do you use it?

In the UK this will be called a grill pan. Broiler isn't a word we use. I added a bit to the title.

I rarely use mine. This is partly because if I want to grill something (meaning put it under an overhead grill) then I use the halogen oven. Its much faster and uses less electricity. And if I want to use the oven to grill something its usually to brown the top of a Shephard's pie or something like that so there is no need to use the pan.

It can be useful for fish which are too large to fit in the halogen, though.

I use mine at least once or twice a week, sometimes more: to grill bacon, sausages, cheese on toast, pork and lamb steaks/chops, chicken thighs - in fact I'll be using it tonight to crisp up some chicken wings.

It lives in the top oven/grill when its not being used (unless I'm using the top oven, in which case its either in the main oven or on the worktop).

I use mine at least once or twice a week, sometimes more: to grill bacon, sausages, cheese on toast, pork and lamb steaks/chops, chicken thighs - in fact I'll be using it tonight to crisp up some chicken wings.

It lives in the top oven/grill when its not being used (unless I'm using the top oven, in which case its either in the main oven or on the worktop).

All of those go in the halogen oven for me unless it is a huge amount.

All of those go in the halogen oven for me unless it is a huge amount.
What's the cooking area of a halogen oven? I've looked at them a couple of times but they seem quite small. Our grill pan is 25x37 cm which is ok for the two of us most of the time - but I struggle for space when we have guests or when I do chicken wings.

What's the cooking area of a halogen oven? I've looked at them a couple of times but they seem quite small. Our grill pan is 25x37 cm which is ok for the two of us most of the time - but I struggle for space when we have guests or when I do chicken wings.

I will go and measure....

...its 30 cm diameter (circular) internal measurement. In practice a bit less, to allow for lifting container/basket in and out.

Back
Top Bottom