Doenjang - Korean Soy Paste

murphyscreek

Veteran
Local time
6:24 PM

After that miso recipe challenge earlier in the year, have been really enjoying trying some of the variations. Really like this Korean version called Doenjang. Has anyone else have much experience with it. Am currently working on a apple/doenjang marinade recipe for the apple challenge.

I haven't tried this - only Gochujang which is the red spice paste (similar packaging). Despite the fact I love hor chilli I have trouble with it. Its so strongly flavoured it seems to take over any other taste. Is the Doenjang smoked? I only ask because it looks as if it might be from the picture.

I haven't tried this - only Gochujang which is the red spice paste (similar packaging). Despite the fact I love hor chilli I have trouble with it. Its so strongly flavoured it seems to take over any other taste. Is the Doenjang smoked? I only ask because it looks as if it might be from the picture.

It doesn't taste like it is smoked. It also isn't so strong a flavour, and have found I've needed to add more than I thought to a marinade to get any flavour benefit. It's actually (to my palette) pleasant enough just to taste raw by itself. This is the only brand I've tried though, so they might not all be so.

Back
Top Bottom