Does anyone eat poached eggs?

True2marie

Veteran
Local time
9:45 AM
I am not going to lie, I am not a fan of poached eggs. Something about a runny warm yolk disgusts me. However, I do have family members and friends who gobble them down with their morning coffee.

Am I alone with my feelings?

Does anyone eat poached eggs?

PoachEgg2.jpg

I love poached eggs. It's my preferred way of cooking them as I find it so easy to do.

I don't think there is any rule that says the yolk has to be runny. Just cook them for slightly longer if that's your preference.:thumbsup:

I have tried a poached make by my chef when I was in collage and it was really nice. Then a few months ago I tried to make one myself and see how it would go. I looked up on YouTube so that I wouldn't make a mess out of it. To tell you the truth I didn't like it. I don't know what it was. I think Ill have to try it one more time, this time done by a pro.

We love (poached) eggs in purgatory:
Ingredients: For each person.
2 medium Eggs.
1 can of chopped Tomatoes
1 clove of Garlic ~~~ pressed.
1 Small Chili ~~~ finely chopped.
2 spoons (Extra Virgin) Olive Oil.
About 30 grams of a strong tasting cheese~~~ finely grated.
A pinch of dried Basil.
A pinch of dried Oregano.
Salt & Pepper to season.

Method Fry off the Garlic & Chilli in very hot oil until soft, and then without turning the heat down, tip the Tomatoes in. Add the Basil and Oregano and bring quickly to the boil. Add the eggs to the top of the mixture to poach, sprinkle on the cheese and cover the pan with a lid. When the eggs have poached, serve immediately with bread, toast, whatever. Absolutely delicious, and a great wintertime lunchtime warmer.

I absolutely love poached eggs, especially the recipe above which I was about to share as well but someone beat me to it, lol.

Even when just making regular poached eggs - they are so simple, there is no need to over complicate them. I've heard of people putting vinegar in the water to help the egg whites set, some people poach them in a shallow pan of water then ladle the water over the top of the eggs repeatedly, others say to swirl the water to keep the eggs from spreading apart too much. Another site recently suggested to strain the eggs in a wire mesh strainer to remove the excess runny whites. No need for any of this. Just crack the eggs in to little dish, bring some water to a simmer and gently lower them in. That's it. Who cares if there are some loose runny egg whites in the water. Just scoop out the poached eggs with a slotted spoon and plate them. Make sure to pat dry any excess water, then season with salt and pepper. This is probably the healthiest way possible to prepare eggs aside from a hard boiled egg.

The thing I like about the runny yolk, is it adds a nice richness and kind of fills in for "butter" on my toast, when I am trying to eat healthier.

You are not alone! My dad likes poached eggs. One time I asked him to make me some, and... I was pretty disgusted. I like my eggs scrambled, only!

I love them, too! That warm, runny yolk is the only way I will eat my fried eggs as well, and I much prefer a soft-boiled egg over a hard-boiled one for the same reason. The only difference for the poached egg for me is that I usually feel like I'm being healthier when I poach them instead of frying them in some butter or oil. They're my preferred method for having them with hollandaise sauce, too.

Poached eggs are probably my favorite way to eat an egg. They have a much cleaner taste that fried or scrambled. You taste just pure egg!

I just recently taught myself how to poach an egg and I am hooked.

I love them. I love them with everything. On top of toast with a little salt and pepper, or as an entree with a more savory combination of extras. I recently experimented with several different combos.

One night I made home fries (potatoes) and topped them with sautéed mushrooms and onions, a thick slice of ham, spinach, asparagus, cherry tomatoes, and two poached eggs. It was amazing, and super filling.

I think of poached eggs as a snobbier version of the soft boiled egg, or the over easy fried egg. The technique isn't one that is commonly taught or mastered in a normal kitchen, and those who do it are a notch above the average egg eater.

Back
Top Bottom