Does anyone on here meditate

Lullabelle

Midlands, England
Local time
2:18 PM
I find it very difficult to relax and switch off my brain so I was thinking about meditation. I have looked online and it is so full of stuff I don't know where to begin. Can anyone on here suggest/advise?

Yoga is a good place to start. I used to go to classes regularly, but lapsed a few years ago. Aiming to get back into it in the New Year. It really focuses the mind, and is a great workout too.

I find it very difficult to relax and switch off my brain so I was thinking about meditation. I have looked online and it is so full of stuff I don't know where to begin. Can anyone on here suggest/advise?
@Lullabelle
When you are sitting quietly, restfully, and close your eyes, do visions of various kinds appear constantly? Thoughts related to almost anything? I've used the following approach, but it takes concentrated effort at first: with the eyes closed, force your mind to imagine you are in an utterly dark place; you can see nothing but black. I have found I can fall asleep easily while doing this. The "shrinks", for whom I hold little reverence, may have a name for it.

My time on the potters wheel is my mindfulness time. Once the skills are accomplished the rhythm and dance of the wheel is very relaxing. You are very aware and not aware at the same time. Your hands know the movements and you are very aware of the clay flowing between your fingers yet time flies away unmarked. When you are done, you are relaxed and comfortable in your body and ready for other tasks.

My mom always said she could tell the days i had spent time on the wheel, she also said time i spent out in nature also seemed to have the same effect on me. I do love my time barefoot in the grass.

@Lullabelle
When you are sitting quietly, restfully, and close your eyes, do visions of various kinds appear constantly? Thoughts related to almost anything? I've used the following approach, but it takes concentrated effort at first: with the eyes closed, force your mind to imagine you are in an utterly dark place; you can see nothing but black. I have found I can fall asleep easily while doing this. The "shrinks", for whom I hold little reverence, may have a name for it.

My brain likes to think and organise. Yesterday morning I was awake before 6.30, turned over to snooze but brain decided to wake up and start planning the day which is what I do on a working day anyway so it is a natural thing for my brain to do, when I close my eyes to try and slow it down, doesn't work. My body needs sleep, especially my brain, but sometimes I run on nervous energy which isn't a good thing.

I will definitely give this a try, thank you :)

My time on the potters wheel is my mindfulness time. Once the skills are accomplished the rhythm and dance of the wheel is very relaxing. You are very aware and not aware at the same time. Your hands know the movements and you are very aware of the clay flowing between your fingers yet time flies away unmarked. When you are done, you are relaxed and comfortable in your body and ready for other tasks.

My mom always said she could tell the days i had spent time on the wheel, she also said time i spent out in nature also seemed to have the same effect on me. I do love my time barefoot in the grass.

This sounds lovely and poetic :)

I love being outside amongst nature, the feel of grass between my toes, but at this time of year there is little happening.

I enjoy jigsaw puzzles, they help to let my mind wander but I use a computer all day so at night I like to rest my eyes.

I've never meditated, but my wife's oldest brother does, he was tied up with Hare Krishnas for a while, even lived in India for a while. About 30 years ago we were between houses, we were staying at my wife's mothers place. Wife's brother was also staying there. We were all in the lounge one evening when we heard this huge crash, it came from a bedroom behind the lounge. We all looked at each other, then my m.i.l said, it's only Noel. He meditates on his head up against the wall with his back to the wall. She said he quite often falls over,lol.

Russ

My brain likes to think and organise. Yesterday morning I was awake before 6.30, turned over to snooze but brain decided to wake up and start planning the day which is what I do on a working day anyway so it is a natural thing for my brain to do, when I close my eyes to try and slow it down, doesn't work. My body needs sleep, especially my brain, but sometimes I run on nervous energy which isn't a good thing.

I will definitely give this a try, thank you :)

I've been thinking about taking Zumba classes. I figure if I tire out my body, my brain will follow and sleep at night. My aunt is about 70 and she zumbas. Lol. The exercise and cardio probably couldn't hurt either.
:dance::sleep:

Back
Top Bottom