Does bread dominate your diet?

I make 2-3 granary loaves of bread a week at the moment. I'm looking to get that back to wholemeal but we are but enjoying the lightness behind the granary load with heat of the summer.

That is a lot of bread for two people - here I make about one loaf a week to 10 days. We don't eat it as a supplement to main meals unless its a meal for which it would be integral - cheese on toast for example.

That is a lot of bread for two people - here I make about one loaf a week to 10 days. We don't eat it as a supplement to main meals unless its a meal for which it would be integral - cheese on toast for example.
That's normal. It always had been for us. We were both from much pourer families and bread was the way meals met the needs of 6 people in both families. His parents still use bread to finish off a meal.

That's normal. It always had been for us. We were both from much pourer families and bread was the way meals met the needs of 6 people in both families. His parents still use bread to finish off a meal.

It was the same when I was growing up too. Bread accompanied every meal. Bread and dripping for supper quite often. Its different now though - I can't afford the calories so I maybe eat only one slice a day, if that. Yesterday I had two small slices - one with a boiled egg for lunch and one toasted with garlic rubbed into it and crumbled in soup for dinner.

Bread does not dominate my diet, but it is certainly a substantial part of my diet, especially if you consider flour tortillas to be a form of bread. As for bread with eggs, even though I am not a fast-food fan, I am a sucker for a McDonald's sausage, egg and cheese McMuffin. Another one of my guilty pleasures.

CD

I grew up and mum always had bread and butter on the table for dinner, she was a lefty, and couldn't slice bread to save herself, the loaf would end up on a 30 deg angle from her cutting. I guess that's why I'm anal about slicing bread in perfect thickness. I love sammiches with thick spread butter, my grandkids are event worse than me, d.i.l has given up trying to get them to use minimum butter,lol. We prolly go,through a couple of pound a week. I love white bread, wife has brown or seeds bread.
Daughters friend is a baker so we get bread free ATM. One of each.

Russ

Some cultures are more reliant on bread than others. Here in the UK it is common to eat toasted bread for breakfast, and a sandwich for lunch. Decades ago it was even common to have buttered bread as a side to an evening meal.

During the winter months I find it difficult not to gravitate towards something on toast for breakfast - eggs, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes etc. Cold cereals or fruit simply don't appeal. Likewise at lunchtime - a healthy salad on a cold winter day is never going to win over a comforting fully stacked sandwich.

How much does bread feature in your diet?

I like to eat brown bread sandwiches mostly in my breakfast.

Not a lot for us. Gluten free bread is expensive and not that nice and I dont have the space or equipment at the moment to make my own (no oven and no space for a bread maker). Also working mainly from home I rarely have to make lunch to take out with me.

Well, bread gets bad press in the weight loss industry with low-carb eating plans dominating the diet market. However, there there are many types of bread that are healthy and can easily be included in a healthy eating plan. ... Have healthy ingredients.

Every day we have sourdough at my house. A large bread board and knife have their own spot on the kitchen counter.

I make 2 large loaves every weekend, freeze 1 (which comes out wednesday night) the other is left on the bread board ready for the week.

IMG_20200728_124509_213.jpg

We have it as toast, sandwiches, dipped in oil and vinegar, made into amazing croutons for salads and soups, bread and butter pudding, stuffings and anything left is made into crumbs for more desserts or coating chicken and pork.

Every day we have sourdough at my house. A large bread board and knife have their own spot on the kitchen counter.

I make 2 large loaves every weekend, freeze 1 (which comes out wednesday night) the other is left on the bread board ready for the week.

View attachment 53760
We have it as toast, sandwiches, dipped in oil and vinegar, made into amazing croutons for salads and soups, bread and butter pudding, stuffings and anything left is made into crumbs for more desserts or coating chicken and pork.
In the UK my Croatian wife found it impossible to buy reasonable priced quality bread. So we started a sour dough mother. Here we have within a kilometre 6 independent from scratch bakers all with traditional wood fired ovens. They use winter wheat from northern Croatia with a very high protein content. Two even use "peka's" to bake. There is no need for to bake bread apart from on religious holidays when they close. I made this poolish method loaf for the Christmas closure. We have a wood fired oven and bbq in the garden which could not be bothered to light up as it was raining.
1609310818262.png

ChefBasics This is the same type of oven that most houses here have. Ours has a door on it. I have cooked pizza in it once. With the bakeries we have nearby I had a life is to short moment. We use it in the summer for cooking because it gets to hot inside.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBzz2CE9yGg&ab_channel=45DegreesSailing
Great looking bread! Most houses have a wood oven? Thats brilliant! I wish houses in england all came with one. I have built my own in the garden and use it as often as possible for breads, roasts, braises and my favourite - crumble. Something about a crumble in the wood oven just makes it amazing.

Great looking bread! Most houses have a wood oven? Thats brilliant! I wish houses in england all came with one. I have built my own in the garden and use it as often as possible for breads, roasts, braises and my favourite - crumble. Something about a crumble in the wood oven just makes it amazing.
One of the best retail business to have here is hardwood sales for private and restaurant use. The cuisine in Dalmatia is very limited. The wood fired grill or oven is king. Every market has a stall that cooks pigs, lamb goat and chickens on the spit for takeaway. Fast food joints like McDonald or Domino's have tried here and failed because they don't use wood. This is a Balkans Burger. There are Burger shacks all over Croatia and Serbia cooking like this.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-l0ore9EH4&t=22s&ab_channel=AlmazanKitchen

Has anyone else noted this phenomenon where frying food makes it more tolerable?

Interesting, I don't think anyone I know has a wood oven. Maybe this is regional?

Back
Top Bottom