Does shape matter?

I find that crinkle cut fries taste different, which makes no sense, but I don't like them. Now, it could be because the fries were baked instead of fried. I believe one of the reasons crinkle cut fries were developed was for baking on a flat tray. The crinkles allow some hot air flow around the fries.

CD
We fried our crinkle cuts. I don't mind a little grease. I don't like baked fries of any shape.

I thought about this when my on-line delivery substituted crinkle cut oven chips (fries in the US) for my normal straight cut. I really don't like crinkle cut chips nor do I like crinkle cut crisps (chips in the US). I'm not sure why I dislike them so much. I mean, after all its the same product but just a different shape. 🤷‍♀️

Are there foods that you like or dislike when they are cut in a certain shape?
My husband doesn't like long skinny pasta, he prefers tubular. I like spaghetti, fettucine, linguine, etc. better. He will eat longer skinny pasta with seafood dishes, but I usually have to break them up before boiling.

I had typed up a reply, but I seen to have lost it somewhere, lol. Probably just as well. I'll phrase this one more politely.

Personally I don't care how my veg is cut up . It is the taste I'm more interested it. Fancy cut veg doesn't do anything for me because it was my job to prepare it that way when I worked in a restaurant. And bluntly, no amount of preparation or presentation cutting into fancy shapes is going to make an old carrot taste any better.

Pasta shapes usually it is whatever is in the house, usually. The macaroni n cheese pasta I made was because some shapes do hold sauce better than others. It wasn't macaroni I made, but a slightly larger tube pasta. That's fine with me.

Potatoes, yeah, I prefer thick cut straight chips but again if someone else has prepared them, I'm not going to complain that I don't like crinkle cut thin chips... I guess I was brought up to be more polite than most.

As for differences, hubby likes his veg large, as in several mouthfuls large. I prefer them smaller, to fit in my mouth in one and also for me to be able to swallow them with ease. I struggle to swallow stuff and if it is too large that doesn't help.

I also don't bite into an apple or nectarine etc, but use a knife. It's nothing to do with anything other than my teeth and the spacing it lack of between them. Biting into an apple forces the teeth apart which gives me toothache... It was not severe enough to need dental braces, though as an adult I really wish it had been treated because I'd not have the issues I have now with the pressure on the teeth causing them to split vertically.

Potatoes, yeah, I prefer thick cut straight chips but again if someone else has prepared them, I'm not going to complain that I don't like crinkle cut thin chips... I guess I was brought up to be more polite than most.
Well I don't complain, I keep my thoughts to myself on that. I might make a comment to hubby on my preferences out of earshot of others, though, but not exactly a complaint. I do like my chips crispy though and will request that when dining out, and if they are too light and not well-cooked in a restaurant after I asked that they be cooked crispy I might complain about that (although politely).

I don’t like the fuss of deep-frying, but I do usually pan/shallow-fry frozen fries/chips. A lot less fuss with all the fried goodness.

I don’t like the fuss of deep-frying, but I do usually pan/shallow-fry frozen fries/chips. A lot less fuss with all the fried goodness.
Air frying is good, I have that Emeril air fryer/toaster oven/convection oven/etc. I always coat my fries with oil, though, LOL. The way I see it, they still soak up the fried goodness but less waste of oil than deep frying. Oil is getting really expensive these days!

But pan frying is good too.

The bread and butter when served with battered fish should be left whole not cut into triangles; unless the fish is triangular.

The skinnier the fries/chips, the better for me. I love the thin type mostly found in France. I also like the thicker cut ones, but only want those from a place where people fry them professionally. Those places are found everywhere here and in Belgium, so I am in luck. This is because for me a fry must be crispy on the outside, and in case of a thicker fry soft on the inside. But never soft on the outside!

My toast must be cut in triangles, and my sandwiches must be crustless. I prefer my apples peeled and sliced. But I can't think of anything else I am picky with when it comes to shapes.

Never baked a fry in my life and not going to start. Cheers
Hahaha!!
Me neither!
My favourite chips are (a) cut by hand (b) deep-fried in oil. I don´t fry them twice, but that´s probably through idleness. I don´t do "air-fried" - I´ve only tried them once and I really wasn´t impressed.
When I´m cooking, I only fiddle around with the shapes of the vegetables if I´m presenting a plate for a lunch/dinner - for me and the family, it´s as it comes and on the plate while still hot!

I´ve only tried them once and I really wasn´t impressed.

After buying the airfryer, it took me about 10 attempts to obtain the results that I was happy with, i.e frying chips.

Now, the only time I deep fry chips is if I am subsequently cooking battered fish. Yes, I prefer chips deep fried but there's a minimal difference in my opinion.

Deep fried chips.

Air fried chips.

A friend here likes his served fish to be shaped like a fish. Not too difficult with whitebait, sardine or mackerel but not easy with cod.

Never baked a fry in my life and not going to start. Cheers

I buy them as a standby really. When I had kids living here it was useful. And now I use them maybe once or twice a week for partner's dinner. He only wants a small portion so its not worth me cooking from scratch. They are OK - some brands better than others.

Back
Top Bottom