Does shape matter?

That´s a great reply, The Late Night Gourmet.
I, personally, despise the fact that the big supermarkets ALL across the Western hemisphere have this contorted idea that ALL vegetables have to be the same size. That philosophy, in my opinion, is not only misguided but also conducive to waste: waste at the farm (because they can´t sell the "smaller" or "misshapen" vegetables, and waste at the consumer end because, often, the smaller vegetables are more flavourful.
If I were to be dramatic: imagine that a large corporation decided that its employees had to be 6"1, blue eyes, brown hair. Imagine the scandal that would provoke.

If I were to be dramatic: imagine that a large corporation decided that its employees had to be 6"1, blue eyes, brown hair. Imagine the scandal that would provoke.
There used to be a US restaurant where all of the female servers were required to have large breasts. You ever heard of a chain called "Hooters"? They somehow got away with it. I am not certain if that chain still exists.

There used to be a US restaurant where all of the female servers were required to have large breasts. You ever heard of a chain called "Hooters"? They somehow got away with it. I am not certain if that chain still exists.
Yeah, they’re still around. There’s one not too far from me.

Yep - it`s still there; there´s one just over the river from Cincinnati, in Covington.
I´d be embarrassed to eat in a place like that.

In many supermarkets here you can but 'wonky vegetables' (and I do). They are a fraction of the price of the standard vegetables and I'm hard pushed to see much difference.

That´s a great reply, The Late Night Gourmet.
I, personally, despise the fact that the big supermarkets ALL across the Western hemisphere have this contorted idea that ALL vegetables have to be the same size. That philosophy, in my opinion, is not only misguided but also conducive to waste: waste at the farm (because they can´t sell the "smaller" or "misshapen" vegetables, and waste at the consumer end because, often, the smaller vegetables are more flavourful.
We have quite few farmers bring produce to our back door all season long and most of the time they're pretty much all the same size, ripeness and look pretty much the same. Some are sorted for size and varietal like asparagus and onion and red peppers in the fall are pretty gnarly though, so quite the range in fact.

Kroger (akin to Tesco) don’t intentionally sell “ugly” fruit and veg, but some of the smaller independents do, and make a point to offer it at a discount.

I think there was/is an online grocer that also sells it. I remember my niece pointing that out a few years ago. Buying ugly fruit/veg was seen as something of an environmental statement at the time, but I think maybe that’s waned a bit.

One nice thing about uniformly-shaped things with little/no bad spots is they’re much easier to peel/prep.

Kroger (akin to Tesco) don’t intentionally sell “ugly” fruit and veg, but some of the smaller independents do, and make a point to offer it at a discount.

I think there was/is an online grocer that also sells it. I remember my niece pointing that out a few years ago. Buying ugly fruit/veg was seen as something of an environmental statement at the time, but I think maybe that’s waned a bit.

One nice thing about uniformly-shaped things with little/no bad spots is they’re much easier to peel/prep.
Yes, it's Misfits.

Yeah I know, the horror stories even make it over here. It's an interesting phenomenon to me that in a country where the news goes wild about things like 'nipplegate,' a place like hooters exists. We're the 'sex capital of Europe' (ugh) but we have no stuff like that, not even in the red light district in Amsterdam. A club is a club, and well, a bar is a bar.

It's an interesting phenomenon to me that in a country where the news goes wild about things like 'nipplegate,' a place like hooters exists.
We’re complex about our sexualisation of women - it’s all about time and place!

Hooters isn’t as bad as some people make it sound. They even have a kids’ menu, and there are plenty of less-endowed women there. Around here, they’re pretty much considered a family restaurant. My SIL and her family eat there all the time, they like their hot wings.

We're the 'sex capital of Europe' (ugh) but we have no stuff like that, not even in the red light district in Amsterdam.
I think the closest one to you is probably Germany. They do have plenty of international locations. They used to have an airline, if you can believe that…<trots off to check>…nope, stopped flying in 2006.

Hooters isn’t as bad as some people make it sound. They even have a kids’ menu, and there are plenty of less-endowed women there. Around here, they’re pretty much considered a family restaurant. My SIL and her family eat there all the time, they like their hot wings.

I think the closest one to you is probably Germany. They do have plenty of international locations. They used to have an airline, if you can believe that…<trots off to check>…nope, stopped flying in 2006.
I knew a girl who worked there 30 years ago to pay for college. She said people brought their kids in frequently. I personally never would because I think it teaches kids to objectify women. They get enough of that through TV and movies, no need to add to it.

We have plenty of candy shops that sell boobs and other 'novelty items' in candy form to make up for it though :laugh: :rolleyes:

I don't think it's 'bad' , just curious how those two contrasts exist. I do know for sure it'd be an 18+ place here, they're quite strict about when you get to do this stuff!

We have plenty of candy shops that sell boobs and other 'novelty items' in candy form to make up for it though :laugh: :rolleyes:

I don't think it's 'bad' , just curious how those two contrasts exist. I do know for sure it'd be an 18+ place here, they're quite strict about when you get to do this stuff!
I went to visit my friend when she was working a couple of times. It was later at night so no kids were around. I didn't look down on her for working there but I know she had issues a few times with guys trying to grope her and one guy stalked her for a bit

I went to visit my friend when she was working a couple of times. It was later at night so no kids were around. I didn't look down on her for working there but I know she had issues a few times with guys trying to grope her and one guy stalked her for a bit
Yeah, I just PM'd you about it to avoid derailing the topic. But that's definitely a problem with these places, something I don't like at all. I don't like the red light district in Amsterdam either, it's not a comfortable place to be in as a woman.

Ok related to shape:

My husband's friend from high school is a fitness fanatic. I'm certainly not, lol. He and his wife were over for dinner about 6 years ago. At the time, I probably weighed 30 pounds more than I do now. After dinner hubby's friend said to me, "You know, I could put you on a training regimen and get you in shape in about 6 weeks." I looked at him squarely and said, "John, round is a shape."

Edited to add that I started laughing at the astonished look on his face and he was speechless for several seconds. His wife was horribly embarrassed at his rudeness but I just laughed it off. He never made any references to my physique ever again!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom