Does your partner cook?

What, you don't get the hint? :D
If I put 1 avocado on the list and he gets 3, we end up having 2 rotten avocados I have to throw out. The hint is we should waste money? 😟

Well at least I can get him to go to the right store. I write it at the top of the list in large letters. But he invariably will come back with stuff not on the list, or extra of the stuff on the list that we don't need (and is perishable).
Ciao Bella,
My Ray quite good when he go shop we be married almost 41 year so he now understand what I need an what I like. I no have issue if he see any thing he want an like an he get it once in while he get some thing I no see before an ask what I can make! Most of time he follow list well some time if they out off this or that he call me an ask if some thing else do. I quick re think meal an say OK get this or that. I guess I lucky.

Sarana x

Uh, why did he offer?
Maybe like when I offer to take the dog out for her plops:

I say: "You look busy...you want me to take Kate out?"

I think: "Please say no! Please say no! Please say no!"

That way, I get credit for being nice without having to actually do anything. It's a gamble, but sometimes it pays off. :laugh:

Yeah, no. I'll be sitting at the computer starting to place the online order and ask if he has anything he wants me to add. He will say, "I'm going to the post office near there, make me a list." Obviously he wants to go.

My husband is a darling, the best I can have. But he is scatterbrained (he has diagnosed ADD) and he isn't experienced with cooking at all. He does all other household chores, but cooking never was his thing. And now for at least two weeks I am not allowed to cook, so it's going to be interesting to see what he comes up with :laugh:
The kitchen always explodes when he's in there, so he has a lot of extra work.. :rolleyes:

My wife used to cook in emergencies, i.e. the local restaurant was closed. With the advent of motorbike food couriers and internet ordering, there are fewer emergencies now.

If I'm cooking Thai food, she does stick her oar in to tell me that I'm preparing it wrong; and on occasions she will take over.

Assuming you have a partner, do they cook? If so, are they as good as you and do they cook as often? My partner used to cook but no longer does - he used to be better than me and taught me quite a lot. He was a 'house husband' for many years so did all the cooking for me and the kids.

If you used to have a partner (or several previous partners) then of course please join in and tell us how the cooking worked between you.
:laugh: 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣:laugh:

Well, he can cook some things, but he makes such a mess that I rarely allow it because even when he tries to clean up after himself when doing so, I find greasy dishes and utensils or actual food particles stuck on them. So I rewash them and he gets irritated about it. And he leaves the stove in a wreck and the counters too. It's just easier to do myself and yeah, because I have more experience and can cook a broader range of things, my food usually tastes better, too.

One night I had planned on making fried rice (really a veggie stir fried rice combo). I had the rice prepped beforehand and had a late day at work, so he offered to cook. I told him how I typically do it and he was dismissive. I was in the kitchen doing paperwork while he was cooking and I saw him put everything in the wok at once (I cook most everything separately and add the asparagus, snow peas, and green onion at the end, which I had told him), and at one point he put the lid on the wok, which steams the rice and makes it mushy. That's when I spoke up. He got mad and said, "Am I cooking this or you?" So I shut up. And it was a soggy, overcooked mess when it was served. I got to hear something he rarely says: "You were right." He asked if we should toss it and I said no. I ate it anyway and the flavor profile was alright, it was just the texture. So that's the last time he will likely be cooking that dish.

:laugh: 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣:laugh:

Well, he can cook some things, but he makes such a mess that I rarely allow it because even when he tries to clean up after himself when doing so, I find greasy dishes and utensils or actual food particles stuck on them. So I rewash them and he gets irritated about it. And he leaves the stove in a wreck and the counters too. It's just easier to do myself and yeah, because I have more experience and can cook a broader range of things, my food usually tastes better, too.
Yeah, this! I was allowed to go down the stairs for the first time this morning ( I can do that once a day now) , and the kitchen had stuff on every surface. I sorted it to what needs to be in the bin and what needed to go in the fridge, leaving it a lot more organised when I went back up. I guess cooking is more difficult when you're disorganised.

You're doing a pretty fine job though!

I just don't know what it's like anymore, cooking organisation has been drilled in to me in cooking school. I am a lot less organised in other areas of my house, lol.
Thanks! To be fair to myself, it’s less about disorganization with me and more about distraction.

I can start setting things out, and maybe I need some herbs, so I go outside to get herbs, and see that the flowers need watering, so I do that, come back in set out some more stuff, go to get a pot, and see that the pots aren’t put up the way I like, so I stop what I’m doing and fix that, then I get an onion out, and see a couple of potatoes have sprouted, so I toss those, but now the trash needs emptied, and that’s not counting the number of times I have to stop and help MrsT with something (lately, that’s stopping mid-cooking because she can’t figure out how to do something in her Weight Watchers app)…

I remarked in a rather exasperated way last night that we were eating far too late, because when I’d gone into the kitchen at 5PM to put together a simple salad, I didn’t actually get started until 5:45PM.

Thanks! To be fair to myself, it’s less about disorganization with me and more about distraction.

I can start setting things out, and maybe I need some herbs, so I go outside to get herbs, and see that the flowers need watering, so I do that, come back in set out some more stuff, go to get a pot, and see that the pots aren’t put up the way I like, so I stop what I’m doing and fix that, then I get an onion out, and see a couple of potatoes have sprouted, so I toss those, but now the trash needs emptied, and that’s not counting the number of times I have to stop and help MrsT with something (lately, that’s stopping mid-cooking because she can’t figure out how to do something in her Weight Watchers app)…

I remarked in a rather exasperated way last night that we were eating far too late, because when I’d gone into the kitchen at 5PM to put together a simple salad, I didn’t actually get started until 5:45PM.
I thought that was called ADD (attention deficit disorder)? If you have that it's a very minor case, IMO. I too have it to a slight degree. Look, a squirrel!!! No, I really do get distracted by squirrels. I will start to make coffee or tea and see one at the back sliding door begging and I will switch to making a peanut butter sandwich for the critter, and then forget to make my coffee (or tea). For a few minutes, anyway.

I don't toss my potatoes when they sprout, I just wash them and remove the sprouts, then peel them. I didn't know it was bad to do that?

Back
Top Bottom