Does your spouse???

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
10:50 AM
like the food you cook, it came up on another thread and I thought I might see if I'm the odd one here,lol. I love pretty much most stuff, but what really pees me off is she hates pork, seafood, white bread and a few other things. It's hard when I want to cook crayfish or oysters she has to have something else. Does you hubby/ wife/ partner eat the same foods as you or do you compromise ? Like I'm cooking for her tonight chicken and pumpkin risotto. I'll prolly only have a sammich.

Russ

Compromise.. he is a meat and potatoes guy, doesn't eat fish and I like fish, veggies and/or potatoes. So I usually make meat for him, fish for me and we share the sides or I just eat the sides. And let's add my mother, who lives with us, and mostly eats scrambled eggs/spinach, quiches or veggies - that sometimes makes three different main courses and shared sides.

Last edited:
Same here. DH does not eat shrimp, crab, lobster. So about 2 or 3 times a month, we have what we call "steak and shrimp night". When we first started doing it, he had steak and I had shrimp. Now it means we can have whatever we want that the other won't eat. DH does all of the cooking now, and we like to try new recipes, so if I don't like it, I don't blame it on DH's cooking but on the recipe. lol

Compromise.. he is a meat and potatoes guy, doesn't eat fish and I like fish, veggies and/or potatoes. So I usually make meat for him, fish for me and we share the sides or I just eat the sides. And let's add my mother, who lives with us, and mostly eats scrambled eggs/spinach, quiches or veggies - that sometimes makes three different main courses and shared sides.

Three different meals, that's me as well at times. Just as well I'm flexible,lol

Russ

I'm the cook 100% of the time (I doubt if my wife knows how to turn the cooker on), so she's pretty much stuck eating what I make, and I do have a pretty strict rule that the cook sets the menu. I'll be damned if I'm making two meals.

That said, I'd gladly make pizza three times a week, and she's gladly have pizza three times a year, so we try to compromise over that.

I do make my own red chile and he makes his. When he makes green chile, he divides it at end and puts potatoes in his and hominy in mine. When we make sauerbraten, I make potato dumplings for him and spatzle for me. Other than that, we eat pretty much the same things, though we both have different favorites but will eat each others for at least 1 meal.

I'm not married (don't start me on that theme) so never use the word spouse. The person I live with most of the time will eat almost anything I give him and seems to think what I make is great. But he is also happy with egg and oven chips! He won't eat anything sweet at all though. At home I generally eat very little of what I cook. I simply can't afford to do so or I'd pile on weight! I also like to eat later than he does.

My friend who I often stay with and cook for also thinks my cooking is wonderful but is a harsher critic. If he does criticise its justified and usually means I messed something up.

When my grown up kids were at home I frequently cooked several meals - daughter was vegetarian with fish, son was vegan - sometimes I'd make vegan for all but sometimes two or three different meals. It didn't bother me as I love cooking so much.

Last edited:
I'm not married (don't start me on that theme) so never use the word spouse. The person I live with most of the time will eat almost anything I give him and seems to think what I make is great. But he is also happy with egg and oven chips! He won't eat anything sweet at all though. At home I generally eat very little of what I cook. I simply can't afford to do so or I'd pile on weight! I also like to eat later than he does.

My friend who I often stay with and cook for also thinks my cooking is wonderful but is a harsher critic. If he does criticise its justified and usually means I messed something up.

When mine grown up kids were at home I frequently cooked several meals - daughter was vegetarian with fish, son was vegan - sometimes I'd make vegan for all but sometimes two or three different meals. It didn't bother me as I love cooking so much.

Sorry about spouse, there are so many "labels" that are given out now, a bit like the lgbgt? Labels. I was playing guess who with my granddaughter last Xmas holidays. It's where you ask questions about the identity of the person you are, I asked her is the person lbggt gender, my kids burst out laughing , granddaughter had no idea,lol.

Russ

Hubby is one of 4 sons brought up by in Manchester. They all eat anything (offer food until they youngest finally moved out and became a raw foodie).

So cooking for him is easy. Not so easy is cooking for me. The vegan scares the daylights out of many. But the biggest issue is that I can't even eat jam sandwich without checking each component for dairy. Dairy is so often found in bread, in most margarine and it can turn up in jam as well. Everyone says no, there's no dairy in jam but then I'll ask them if they use a knob of butter to help prevent foaming when they are boiling the fruit and they say yes, well that knob of butter is enough to kill me.

He'll eat anything I'll eat, and more. So he's easy to cook for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hubby is one of 4 sons brought up by in Manchester. They all eat anything (offer food until they youngest finally moved out and became a raw foodie).

So cooking for him is easy. Not so easy is coming for me. The vegan scares the daylights out of many. But the biggest issue is that I can't even eat jam sandwich without checking each component for dairy. Dairy is so often found in bread, in most margarine and it can turn up in jam as well. Everyone says no, there's no dairy in jam but then I'll ask them if they use a knob of butter to help prevent foaming when they are boiling the fruit and they say yes, well that knob of butter is enough to kill me.

He'll eat anything I'll eat, and more. So he's easy to cook for.

My jam is only 2 things berries and sugar. No butter no setting agents. I think you would like my jam.

Russ

My jam is only 2 things berries and sugar. No butter no setting agents. I think you would like my jam.

Russ
It's very common, one of those old wives tricks, to add a knob of butter to strawberry jam in particular. I have to be so very careful.

I've actually had anaphylactic shock to a 3mm diameter antihistamine tablet!

It's very common, one of those old wives tricks, to add a knob of butter to strawberry jam in particular. I have to be so very careful.

I've actually had anaphylactic shock to a 3mm diameter antihistamine tablet!

Yeah my mum used to use butter as well. And a marble for the bottom of the pan that rolled around. Wtf??

Russ

Yeah my mum used to use butter as well. And a marble for the bottom of the pan that rolled around. Wtf??

Russ
I've no idea on the marble. Could it simply be a case of preventing burning/sticking? The boiling of the jam would presumably have the marble rolling around a lot in a similar action tho using a marble or small stones in a jar with water in it to shake it up and clean the glass inside. Usually done for stubborn stains where you can't get a scrubber to.

Ok, a quick search found a single reference (only looked on page 1 of results though).

The next morning, grab your pot and put a couple of metal forks or glass marbles in the bottom (stops the mixture from sticking to the base).
Mrs. Cornish's Easy Apricot Jam

Back
Top Bottom