Don't toss those over ripe bananas - banana bread

So aren't you going to share that recipe? I would not mind giving it a go. I have some almonds halves I want to add to my next bread or preferably loaf attempt.

Sounds good. When my mom has a good crop of bananas too many get thrown out. The more the merriment. The wine matter would be new ground for me though.
Lots of recipes for the wine - basically just add sugar, a little citric acid [some lemon juice] and yeast and off it goes. Makes a nce white wine - not the very best you may ever drink but fine at the price [good on a warm evening in the garden]:drink:

It has happened to me several times. My mom sends me bananas from her produce and before I know it they are getting ripe too quickly for me to eat them all. I would salvage some for a smoothie but invariably I would end up tossing some away.:(

Not anymore. I have made a decision not to ever throw out another overly ripe banana. Only two days ago I made my first bread from scratch and it was a Banana bread using my ripe bananas.

So next time before you toss them, think of how to use them to create something yummy.

I make banana bread a lot. I usually double whatever recipe I'm using, and freeze the 2nd loaf. I started adding in blueberries, and now that's my favorite way to make it. I mix in the blueberries last, and just toss some in, I never measure, just do it by sight. I don't have a recipe handy, but I often get my recipes from allrecipes.com

I'm too lazy to make banana bread apparently, lol, but since I'm a big time gardener and since I have lots of butterfly host and nectar plants, I now save my overripe bananas in the freezer for feeding the butterflies. I have one that has to go in there now that I forgot about and didn't eat before it started to get too soft for my liking.

I make banana bread a lot. I usually double whatever recipe I'm using, and freeze the 2nd loaf. I started adding in blueberries, and now that's my favorite way to make it. I mix in the blueberries last, and just toss some in, I never measure, just do it by sight. I don't have a recipe handy, but I often get my recipes from allrecipes.com

I like the way that sounds. Tossing in things. Baking doesn't offer much latitude so when I see that you can toss in stuff I get excited. I feel like I am going to toss a few things in when next I bake a bread.

I'm too lazy to make banana bread apparently, lol, but since I'm a big time gardener and since I have lots of butterfly host and nectar plants, I now save my overripe bananas in the freezer for feeding the butterflies. I have one that has to go in there now that I forgot about and didn't eat before it started to get too soft for my liking.

I might have said I was lazy myself, but the bread is a breeze. If I can make it, anyone can. Also, you can't be that lazy if you are an avid gardener, so go make some bread and stop feeding the butterflies all the goodies.

I might have said I was lazy myself, but the bread is a breeze. If I can make it, anyone can. Also, you can't be that lazy if you are an avid gardener, so go make some bread and stop feeding the butterflies all the goodies.

That is exactly why i am I lazy about baking! By the time I do everything I need to in the garden, I don't have the time or the stamina for anything else. Just getting the laundry done from week to week is a challenge. So many of these things that take up our days... if we stopped and thought about all the time it took, we'd likely never get anything done, lol.

I like the way that sounds. Tossing in things. Baking doesn't offer much latitude so when I see that you can toss in stuff I get excited. I feel like I am going to toss a few things in when next I bake a bread.

@ChanellG

That's how I feel, so much to do, so little time, but we do make time for those things we love. I used to be more exacting, and cooked fancier dishes, but these days I'm happy to find simple recipes and I can tweak with ingredients I have on hand. The blueberries add a lot to the banana bread, and it's delicious fresh or after having been frozen a while :D
:highfive:.

I know exactly what you mean Chantell G.Still I am going to make me some banana bread this weekend. I had left some of the bananas in the fridge: some freezing and some not freezing. The latter looks ugly so I might give them to the birds......or butterflies. This weekend I want to make my bread with a twist......

I know exactly what you mean Chantell G.Still I am going to make me some banana bread this weekend. I had left some of the bananas in the fridge: some freezing and some not freezing. The latter looks ugly so I might give them to the birds......or butterflies. This weekend I want to make my bread with a twist......

I usually peel and cut the bananas when they start getting too soft and put them in the freezer for smoothies. You're making me start to feel lazy, lol. It's getting too hot to think about baking anything, but maybe by fall I'll be organized enough to finally give it a go. Maybe a bread machine would help...

I usually peel and cut the bananas when they start getting too soft and put them in the freezer for smoothies. You're making me start to feel lazy, lol. It's getting too hot to think about baking anything, but maybe by fall I'll be organized enough to finally give it a go. Maybe a bread machine would help...

If the weather stopped me I'd probably never bake knowing how hot it is here most of the times. I did bake the banana bread last night as nights are best for me. Again it was a little dry especially at one end. I really don't know what that is about but I quickly took care of that and enjoyed it with the dogs. There was another little error but I am not going to speak about it now. I'll keep that a secret until I get the desire to spill. I just know it's good enough to be eaten and I am glad it is just one.

Last edited:
If the weather stopped me I'd probably never bake knowing how hot it is here most of the times. I did bake the banana bread last night as nights are best for me. Again it was a little dry especially at one end. I really don't know what that is about but I quickly took care of that and enjoyed it with the dogs. There was another little error but I am going to speak about it now. I'll keep that a secret until I get the desire to spill. I just know it's good enough to be eaten and I am glad it is just one.

Uh-oh, lol! What did you forget to include? It's warm where you are year round! Here it makes the most sense to back in the non-summer months. In winter it can actually help heat the house. Around this time of the year it is starting to be warm, but once the summer humidity kicks in, forget it. No one in their right mind is going to bake, let alone want to turn on the oven. It's hard (and costly) enough to cool the house, putting the oven on just means more energy and more money.

Uh-oh, lol! What did you forget to include? It's warm where you are year round! Here it makes the most sense to back in the non-summer months. In winter it can actually help heat the house. Around this time of the year it is starting to be warm, but once the summer humidity kicks in, forget it. No one in their right mind is going to bake, let alone want to turn on the oven. It's hard (and costly) enough to cool the house, putting the oven on just means more energy and more money.

Well I guess we are so used to the heat: it's just a way of life. Some summers are painfully hot though, but all that means is that us casual bakers will most likely bake at night when it's cooler. As an aside, my mom made me a coucou the other day (part of our national dish) which is made with corn meal and requires a lot of stirring. When she was finished she was perspire like crazy. I felt terrible that I had brought up the subject especially since I really could not help.Sometimes heat is not great but I vote for it over the cold winters.

Turning to my secret mistake, I decided to add some raisins which were not part of the recipe and mixed them with the flour before adding to the batter. When the bread was finished and I am tasting, I see small specks of white in the raisins......not cool....and that was my foul up. The secret is out.

Last edited:
Well I guess we are so used to the heat that it's just a way of life... Sometimes heat is not great but I vote for it over the cold winters.

Turning to my secret mistake... When the bread was finished and I am tasting, I see small specks of white in the raisins....

LOL, well at least it was a small thing. Floury raisins is minor in comparison to all the things that could have happened. I am with you on heat vs cold. I'd rather be hot than too cold any day. There are things you can do to escape the heat at least.

LOL, well at least it was a small thing. Floury raisins is minor in comparison to all the things that could have happened. I am with you on heat vs cold. I'd rather be hot than too cold any day. There are things you can do to escape the heat at least.

It was a small thing for a green baker. It was a last minute idea and I know there is something about the raisins all coming to the top and without checking to be sure, I felt like I had heard or read that covering with flour helps with even distribution. With that in mind, I added them loosely to the flour and added said flour to the batter. I don't know if mixing longer would have dealt with the issue but I will find out next time. I'll just look it up now.

Back
Top Bottom