Don't toss those over ripe bananas - banana bread

It was a small thing for a green baker. It was a last minute idea and I know there is something about the raisins all coming to the top and without checking to be sure, I felt like I had heard or read that covering with flour helps with even distribution. With that in mind, I added them loosely to the flour and added said flour to the batter. I don't know if mixing longer would have dealt with the issue but I will find out next time. I'll just look it up now.

I think when baking it's best to mix all your dry ingredients in one bowl, your wet in another, and then blend the moist into the dry. It probably would have been best to mix the raisins in the the finished batter/dough at the end before putting the mixture into the loaf pan and placing it in the oven, or even adding them in the pan and just letting them sink down.

So I baked yet another banana bread last night and I think this one is much better and I know I added the raisin with the wet batter. I have to tell you I pretty much did as I liked as they say around here: I did my own thing and it came out pretty well. I have baked so many banana breads in the last couple weeks, I am tired. I was aiming for perfection before I give banana bread a break. It's funny that everyone of them came out differently even when I used the same recipe. My favourite recipe is going to be the one that calls for butter instead of oil and just over a table spoon of milk as opposed to more milk called for in other recipes. I feel like I have the winning formula now.

Seems like you've arrived at success! Congratulations on finding the winning way that worked for you. I am still off regular cooking, let alone baking so I'll just have to live vicariously through your experiments for now. It's been so hot recently that I barely even want to eat let alone cook. I've been more focused on the garden as I was working so much that I have gotten behind. Now it's raining...

Seems like you've arrived at success! Congratulations on finding the winning way that worked for you. I am still off regular cooking, let alone baking so I'll just have to live vicariously through your experiments for now. It's been so hot recently that I barely even want to eat let alone cook. I've been more focused on the garden as I was working so much that I have gotten behind. Now it's raining...

Not cooking?!?!?That right there would kill me. While I do get a little frustrated on the odd occasion when I feel like I might be slaving away, I love my own cooking. Sometimes when I have to eat out because of my schedule, I am often not happy with what I get. Hence it's better to do my own thing. Then you say you are in the garden. Doesn't that make you want to cook or are you planting flowers? Well my garden story is a sad one. The great worker who stole seems to be gone for good but I miss him terribly. The garden is running to ruin and I don't know what to do save it. It has me quite sad. Since my tomatoes, I have not even had a fly.:( I really want to get the same guy back. He was like a machine.

I haven't been very happy with what I have been getting lately when picking up takeout. What I usually do though is when I go to a place like Whole Foods to get stuff for the house, I will pick up humus, guacamole, cheese, fruit, dolmas, salad greens, etc., so that I have food that I don't need to actually cook. Last night, for dinner I had a large salad with lettuce, cucumber, feta cheese and smoked salmon. Yum!

Just realized, I meant to pick up bananas last trip and forgot! I am growing everything in the garden, but it's not harvest time yet. Only thing I've picked is cherry tomatoes. And no, gardening doesn't make me want to cook - it just makes me want to do more gardening.

Back
Top Bottom