Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:50 AM
Have you ever made dosas? I haven't ever tried but I think they are notoriously difficult. Traditionally they are made from a fermented batter made of rice and gram flour. I've seen them on TV being made in India on street stalls - large, paper thin and made in a few seconds.

26529198725_4d7067b6d0_b.jpg

Jamie Oliver has a recipe which is made with gram flour and wheat flour but the batter isn't fermented so I'm not sure its technically a dosa. https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/amazing-indian-dosa/

According to Wikipedia:
Dosa is a type of pancake or crèpe originating from the Indian subcontinent, made from a fermented batter. It is somewhat similar to a crepe in appearance. Its main ingredients are rice and black gram ground together in a fine, smooth batter with a dash of salt.
I'm going to look up Madhur Jaffrey recipes. Meanwhile, have any of you made dosa and if so, how did you make the batter?

Last edited:
I've found Madhur Jaffrey's recipe which may well put everyone off trying it! I'll post as a Recipe thread and link back here.

Never heard of them before!
They've featured on some TV food shows such as Rick Stein's India and The Hairy Bikers but in most cases I've seen, the street stall experts do it and the celebrity chefs have a go and fail!

I started the thread because @murphyscreek mentioned elsewhere that he had tried making them without much success.

I've found Madhur Jaffrey's recipe which may well put everyone off trying it! I'll post as a Recipe thread and link back here.

They've featured on some TV food shows such as Rick Stein's India and The Hairy Bikers but in most cases I've seen, the street stall experts do it and the celebrity chefs have a go and fail!

I started the thread because @murphyscreek mentioned elsewhere that he had tried making them without much success.

Just looked it up on madhurs book, too much effort for me.

Russ

Page 119 in her book, too many things, I like simple.lol. I'm doing Indian night here for family tomorrow night. Was just flicking through madhurs book and found dosas.
I'll prolly make onion bhagees and samosas for entree and tandoori chicken and lamb and silver beet chop curry. Kids quite happy to have that.

Russ

Page 119 in her book, too many things, I like simple.lol. I'm doing Indian night here for family tomorrow night. Was just flicking through madhurs book and found dosas.
I'll prolly make onion bhagees and samosas for entree and tandoori chicken and lamb and silver beet chop curry. Kids quite happy to have that.

Russ

Must be a different book. I agree its lots of steps and tricky.

Back
Top Bottom