Recipe Dosas

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:03 PM
This is a Madhur Jaffrey recipe from Eastern Vegetarian Cooking. I've not yet attempted it and to be honest I'm a bit daunted! Has anyone else here made dosas?

paper-dosa.jpg

Image https://www.zoomcar.com/blog/9-dosa-joints-in-bangalore-that-have-achieved-cult-status/

fullsizeoutput_42ed.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_42ea.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_42eb.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes I have, though several years ago now. The fermented rice had a very curious and slightly unpleasant smell to it and it was something we decided not to do again, at least not in an unventilated kitchen . Best off done in a well ventilated garage or outhouse.

There are a number of other dosa that can be made and we preferred those. We actually have a tawa (think that's it's name) and learnt very early on that you don't even try to get the dosa to move off the tawa until it is completely cooked on one side . If it is sticking one breaking up, it's not cooked enough so leave it alone. They are not the easiest of things to make and do take skill and practice

Dosas are one of my favorite Weekend breakfast treats. Nothing like super spicy chutney, rice and dosas before starting that long list of Saturday chores.

Fortunately, I live near 3 Indian grocery stores that sell premade dosa mix. Very authentic. Maybe I will make a video this weekend.

Dosas are one of my favorite Weekend breakfast treats. Nothing like super spicy chutney, rice and dosas before starting that long list of Saturday chores.

Fortunately, I live near 3 Indian grocery stores that sell premade dosa mix. Very authentic. Maybe I will make a video this weekend.

That is very interesting. But its not just the fermented batter which is tricky to make - its the technique of cooking them paper thin. I'll be in awe if you can accomplish that. In fact, as I mentioned elsewhere I went to see 'The Hairy Bikers' (celebrity TV cooks) on tour recently. They did a series which was filmed in India and tried their hand at making dosas on a traditional dosa street stall - so they had the batter ready-made and the correct cooking pan/surface.

One of the questions asked by the audience in the show I went to was "In your travels, what was the most difficult thing you cooked?". Dave answered "Dosas - we just couldn't master the technique".

I've tried and failed. Even with a packet mix. I must try again. Same with local oatcakes (like savoury pancakes where the oaty batter needs to be fermented).
I'm thinking of buying the special pan and using it also for chickpea pancakes and English pancakes.

I've tried and failed. Even with a packet mix. I must try again. Same with local oatcakes (like savoury pancakes where the oaty batter needs to be fermented).
I'm thinking of buying the special pan and using it also for chickpea pancakes and English pancakes.
What's going wrong with the Staffordshire oatcakes? (they use yeast the same as bread rather than a fermentation by the way ). They are pretty easy to make tbh. Dosa are not so easy and I do find my tawa helps with them. But it took a while to get the hang of it and see through paper thin wasn't achievable by me at least, but my ones were whole, thinnish and very nice.

Back
Top Bottom