Dried Cayenne Chillis

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
10:57 PM
We were given these yesterday. At a guess they will last us 10 years.

Dried chillis s.jpg

The tray is 330 mm (13") diameter.

Seed, toast and grind them and I'll bet the fresh powder won't last 10 years!:D

I do it simply for texture and color, not due to heat.

I'm not convinced that the seeds add to the heat and if they are finely ground I cannot see that the seeds affect the texture or the colour?

I'm not convinced that the seeds add to the heat and if they are finely ground I cannot see that the seeds affect the texture or the colour?

Yes the seeds and membrane add to the heat.Since the seeds are are generally a shade of white, they make the powder a lighter color, IMO.

I'm going to give grinding a go. It's apparent that some of the peppers have attracted mold so I'll separate the decent ones and grind them up. Once I fill a jar, I'll bin the rest. (I have a large jar of dried Thai hot peppers already which I'm guessing are at least twice the heat of the cayennes).

dried chilis s.jpg

Before and after. The whole and ground together in this image amounted to about 25% of those in the original image.

Dried chillis ground s.jpg

I don't think that chilli "powder" would pass muster with an Indian chef.

I tasted a little this morning. It tastes a little smokey and the hit is delayed by a few seconds but there is definitely a spicy hit. I shall try some in my "hot and sour potatoes" this afternoon.

I added ½ tsp to 350 gms potatoes and there was a definite kick (although I added 3 small fresh Thai chillis also).

potatoes s.jpg

Back
Top Bottom