Dried Wild Mushrooms

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
1:38 PM
Do you use dried wild mushrooms?
I love using dried wild mushrooms with fresh mushrooms. I keep an assortment in the pantry. I am a little low on variety and need to order more. My go to dried wild mushrooms are Porcini, Morel, shiitake and Mixed.
Why dried wild mushrooms?
. They keep for a long time in the pantry
. I don't have to run to multiple markets to find fresh
. The soaking liquid is a wonderful addition to any dish
. I find the flavor of dried wild mushrooms more intense than fresh. A little bit goes a long way.
I use stock or wine to soak my mushrooms. Filter through a coffee filter lined fine mesh sieve. If I am using wine in a recipe I soak the mushrooms in wine. Red meat or game - beef stock, poultry or pork - chicken stock, seafood - shrimp. lobster, wine or chicken stock. The soaking liquid is a bonus flavor bomb. If you do not need the liquid for the dish you are making reserve it in the refrigerator for later use.

Two or three years ago, a friend in France sent me some wild mushrooms - LOADS of them - about 5 or 6 different varieties.
We made risottos, chicken dishes, rice dishes, pasta dishes - and I´d say the intensity of the mushroom flavour was definitely what made the dishes special.

I should have added a second and third question - What do use for soaking liquid? Do you reserve and use the soaking liquid?

Back
Top Bottom