Duck eggs

tina122321

Über Member
Local time
12:34 PM
I plan to start eating and cooking with duck eggs. Do you still use 2 eggs when a recipe calls for 2 eggs or do you just use one because they are bigger? I am also curious if anyone has ever served deviled duck eggs to people before and if it turned out good? Serving people food that is not familiar to them always seems hard to do.

Don't keep ducks but a friend does [we often get a few given] and they use one and a half chicken to 1 duck egg depending on the size [tricky I know but it depends on the recipe I supose - does it call for 2 large eggs or small]. As for the deviled eggs we've never tried them but TBH when faced with duck eggs most people seem to accept them ok - it's the less well known meats that people always seem to be afraid of.
PS - If cooking duck eggs on there own don't forget to increase the cooking time [I have been reminded to say]

I plan to start eating and cooking with duck eggs. Do you still use 2 eggs when a recipe calls for 2 eggs or do you just use one because they are bigger? I am also curious if anyone has ever served deviled duck eggs to people before and if it turned out good? Serving people food that is not familiar to them always seems hard to do.
Cook them the same way as chicken eggs and as @sidevalve says, 3 hens eggs = 2 duck eggs in recipes. Devilled eggs will work just as well using duck's eggs.

What we normally do with duck's eggs is to boil and eat with a dash of salt. For cooking, we never use duck's egg in place of chicken eggs because they taste different. But I don't see anything wrong in that substitution except for the taste. However, there are dishes that has specifically duck eggs for ingredient although I don't remember at the moment. With deviled duck eggs, I think it is popular in the US but not here in the Philippines. Our duck egg delicacy is called balut.

The medium sized hens eggs I buy are roughly 50-60g per egg minus the shell.
The ducks eggs I get given vary much more in size. They can be smaller than a hens egg but are generally larger 70-80g typically without their shell. Everything is going to depend on the sizing of the eggs and the variation. I usually just mix and match as a result. So if I need 2 medium hens eggs and have 1 large and 1 small ducks eggs, then I just use 2 ducks for 2 hens eggs.
I don't find ducks eggs taste different enough to bother worrying about what recipes use what. Ours are milder and creamier than hens eggs, but can be more rubbery if overcooked, so that is something to watch, but I can eat very raw undercooked eggs without issue and I know the source of these eggs (my landlady). We get through about 6-12 ducks eggs a week if that is any help.

At home we try try to weigh eggs as we can use bantam eggs to large duck eggs,I still stand by that duck eggs should be well cooked due to the ducks tolerance to salmonella

I've never tried duck eggs. I've seen @SatNavSaysStraightOn mention them before on this forum, and it's piqued my curiosity. I have never seen them sold around where I live, but if I ever encounter them in my travels, I'm going to try them, so I can see if I notice a different taste and texture. It never occurred to me prior to joining this forum that people eat duck eggs. Do people eat goose eggs, as well? If so, are they different still to hen and duck eggs? Is there any type of additional benefit to the duck eggs, do they have more protein than hen eggs, or is there some other reason for eating them?

Last edited:
I think you can get about any kind of eggs if you are in the right place. Cabellas the outdoor store has a lot of interesting foods in their cafe section if you ever get a chance to go there. Most of their foods are like wild game and the like though. I never tried duck eggs either. I am game for anything once though!

Do people eat goose eggs, as well? If so, are they different still to hen and duck eggs? Is there any type of additional benefit to the duck eggs, do they have additional protein, or is there some other reason for eating them?
Yes they do eat the, but getting hold of them is more difficult.
Goose eggs are much larger than both ducks and hens eggs. Is there any extra benefit? Yolks are bigger, about the dame nutritional content I think. Just different. Our landlady has ducks because she has a pond. Hens don't like ponds. The pond has an island so they are safe from predators.
People also eat quail's eggs, bantams eggs, pheasants eggs etc.

I think it's just that some societies seem to 'forget' other food sources exist and fixate on certain foods, rather like ignoring goats milk and sheep's milk as other sources of milk besides cow's milk. Both are much more nutritious than cows milk but only goats milk has become an option in shops in the last 20 years in the UK. Getting hold of sheep's milk is still very difficult. Ducks eggs and others (than hens) are only just starting to appear in the shops here.

@kgord I've shopped at Cabela's online, and I think I might have been in a store once, but I can't recall where. I didn't realize they had cafes. I don't care for wild game, but if they had other types of eggs, I would probably try them there.

@SatNavSaysStraightOn That's so true, people and societies have forgotten about deriving food from a variety of sources. I think a lot of that has to do with food industries, and their marketing attempts. Obviously, they make more money if people only, or primarily, turn to them for food, rather than raising their own or venturing a little outside of the norm. I do have a local feed store owned by a couple with a farm, and they stock less usual items. I haven't been there in a while, but the next time I go, I'm going to see if they have any duck eggs. I'd forgotten, I have heard of people eating quail eggs, and those are another I'd probably try. At least here in the U.S., there's a movement of going back to the land. I'm hearing about more people who are trying to move out of the cities and become more self-sufficient again. I love the idea of that, and hope to do the same one of these days.

Back
Top Bottom