Early Christmas Shopping

I'm of a mind to pretty well ignore Christmas this year. As long as I'm stocked up on booze it will be fine. I always have enough food. We abandoned present giving last Christmas (no visitors fue to Covid). My kids are all grown up and there are no grandchildren and to be honest, they can ill afford to spend money on presents. I very much doubt the kids will come here for Christmas dinner as I simply don't feel safe in an enclosed environment with others. They both work in jobs where they interact with the public.

Sorry if I sound negative. I'm not really, as I've never been keen on Christmas so its a relief not to bother! The worst aspect is the TV becomes virtually unwatchable during the Christmas period.
I try to ignore it every year. I suffered through it with cheer and feigned joy when the kids were young, but now I don't bother with the pretense. To me, if I feel like giving a gift or doing something nice for someone it is sporadic at any given time of the year. I've always felt that way.

I think I will try to find a way to get out of town and go somewhere warm (safely, of course).

Something about me living in this day and age wishes that was two guys who fall in love, but never on Hallmark :laugh:
Hallmark's finally catching up with the times. Several of their movies the last couple of years have featured same-sex couples.

If they'd only join up with Cinemax and do some Hallmark: After Hours Christmas movies. :eek: :laugh:

Hallmark's finally catching up with the times. Several of their movies the last couple of years have featured same-sex couples.

If they'd only join up with Cinemax and do some Hallmark: After Hours Christmas movies. :eek: :laugh:
Ohhh...my my, Santa....

One year my wife bought me a rather expensive suitcase (I was travelling extensively at the time). In the week after Christmas she saw the same suitcase in the sales somewhat cheaper so she returned mine on the pretence that I didn't like it. Then she returned and bought one in the sale from a different salesperson.

She is not only from Yorkshire and so was her father but her mother was from Glasgow.

One year my wife bought me a rather expensive suitcase (I was travelling extensively at the time). In the week after Christmas she saw the same suitcase in the sales somewhat cheaper so she returned mine on the pretence that I didn't like it. Then she returned and bought one in the sale from a different salesperson.
we did something similar one year, though not on the pretence of not liking it but actually because they didn't fit. hubby had bought me a matching bra and knickers set in lace... they didn't fit at all, so we had to take them back. we ended up with 2 bras, 3 sets of knickers, all matching in lace and change because of things suddenly being in the sale. luckily I wad there to try things on so the sales assistance could see that the originals genuinely didn't fit or come close.

I am reminded of a time that I went to a local department store looking to return/exchange something that did not work out of the box and some folks were there to return a carpet shampoo machine, clearly, with nothing wrong with it. They had just bought it to use it to clean up the apartment they were moving out of and having done that, now brought it back with a complaint that it didn't work right. :laugh:

as for Christmas shopping, well with international post being what it is we've had to have everything bought, wrapped and posted about 5-6 weeks before Christmas to ensure they arrive the week before... so our Christmas shopping has already started.
there's also a couple of birthdays before and after Christmas that need taking into account as well, plus this year is our 25th wedding anniversary so we're keeping quiet about it and letting friends in Australia book holidays before people find out. that way we can have a quiet holiday to ourselves. thankfully not too difficult when family are in the UK (most of them). plus we want to meet up with a friend whose on the English cricket team, he and his family are coming over to Australia for the ashes...

I'm of a mind to pretty well ignore Christmas this year. As long as I'm stocked up on booze it will be fine. I always have enough food. We abandoned present giving last Christmas (no visitors fue to Covid). My kids are all grown up and there are no grandchildren and to be honest, they can ill afford to spend money on presents. I very much doubt the kids will come here for Christmas dinner as I simply don't feel safe in an enclosed environment with others. They both work in jobs where they interact with the public.

Sorry if I sound negative. I'm not really, as I've never been keen on Christmas so its a relief not to bother! The worst aspect is the TV becomes virtually unwatchable during the Christmas period.

We haven't celebrated Christmas for a long time but this year we have decided to get involved, we have bought an artificial wreath with lights for the front door and other lights for the front garden. The houses around our way always look lovely so this year we are going for it. It will be just us as usual.
Relaxing and doing whatever. Fingers crossed this year we will be able to visit tvc's family on 27th.

Christmas-related, I tidied up outside, put the lawn furniture and all that away, so next step is to get the lights up.

I mentioned getting started on that, and MrsT expressed a little displeasure at wrapping our decorative rail fence in lights like I usually do, so I agreed to do something else, but she said no, she wanted those lights to stay, just more lights on other stuff. :eek:

I have it worked out, though. All of our outside lights are multicolored, so I'm going to get white lights to put in the shrubbery along the front of the house. I also have a metal plant stand that just so happens to be roughly conically-shaped; I may try to artistically use some greenery and lights to suggest an avant garde Christmas tree type thing.

Getting the white lights tomorrow. I'm off for Veterans Day.

Back
Top Bottom