Recipe Easy no-churn ice-cream

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:45 PM
I used to make something like this back in the 70's! If you haven't got an ice-cream machine its perfect. Can't remember if it tasted over sweet. One might think so, given the condensed milk. It should turn out smooth and creamy.

Ingredients
  • ½ a 397g can sweetened condensed milk
  • 600ml pot double cream
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Method
Put the condensed milk, cream and vanilla into a large bowl. Beat with an electric whisk until thick and quite stiff, a bit like clotted cream. Scrape into a freezer container or a large loaf tin, cover with cling film and freeze until solid.

Recipe from Good Food magazine, August 2010

This sounds really good. I have never attempted to make ice cream before but I have had some
that one of my sisters made and it was delicious. She usually makes it for dessert at Christmas
time. It is very creamy and rich. You can't eat a whole lot of it but it is so good. You can add nuts,
chocolate or whatever to have a flavor to it instead of it being just vanilla.

I would like to try this and see how it turns out. I will save the recipe for a special occasion and give it a try.

I have made something similar using condensed milk and soda. I have not made it in years, I don't know if my family would eat it and do not want to have it sitting in the freezer tempting me.

Guinness® Ice Cream
YIELD: Makes about 1 quart

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup Guinness stout

PREPARATION

In a heavy saucepan whisk together the water and the cornstarch and simmer the mixture over moderate heat, whisking, for 2 minutes. Add the milks, the salt, and the sugar, heat the mixture over moderately low heat, whisking, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the sugar is dissolved, and remove the pan from the heat. Let the mixture cool completely, stir in the Guinness, and freeze the mixture in an ice-cream freezer* according to the manufacturer's instructions.

* Refers to an industrial freezer, as seen in supermarkets. Freezer compartment of a fridge-freezer will suffice

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/guinness-stout-ice-cream-12538

Guinness® Ice Cream

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup Guinness stout

PREPARATION

In a heavy saucepan whisk together the water and the cornstarch and simmer the mixture over moderate heat, whisking, for 2 minutes. Add the milks, the salt, and the sugar, heat the mixture over moderately low heat, whisking, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the sugar is dissolved, and remove the pan from the heat. Let the mixture cool completely, stir in the Guinness, and freeze the mixture in an ice-cream freezer* according to the manufacturer's instructions.

* Refers to an industrial freezer, as seen in supermarkets. Freezer compartment of a fridge-freezer will suffice

Thank you for this recipe, classic33. I know adding the cornstarch improves the ice cream but I forgot though if it was to make it softer or creamier. Anyway, this recipe is obviously for adults so I plan to substitute the beer with other ingredients to make it kid-friendly. I can either add fruits, crushed cookies, or chocolate as an alternative to beer. This would surely be a hit during summer, with beer for the adults and without for the kids.

Thank you for this recipe, classic33. I know adding the cornstarch improves the ice cream but I forgot though if it was to make it softer or creamier. Anyway, this recipe is obviously for adults so I plan to substitute the beer with other ingredients to make it kid-friendly. I can either add fruits, crushed cookies, or chocolate as an alternative to beer. This would surely be a hit during summer, with beer for the adults and without for the kids.
Don't use the home made Vanilla extract!

Guinness® Ice Cream

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup Guinness stout

PREPARATION

That's much easier than the other Guinness ice-cream, recipe. :D

Back
Top Bottom