Recipe Easy Xia Jiao (Har Gow) Prawn Dim Sum Appetisers.

Francesca

Local time
10:57 AM
After, looking at the next Cooking Bites Cook Along list of Suggestions, it caught my attention to look for an easy method to create a favorite Prawn Dim Sum Appetiser ..

Here is the récipe, I shall use as an experiment on Friday morning .. Need to go pick up the ingredients at La Mercat de La Boqueria Central Market and El Corte Ingles Supermarket .. Shall snap a photo and place here after I prepare the Xia Jiao ..

Recipe Copyright: James Martin - The B.B.C. Food Recipe Website ..

To keep it simply, simple this recipe uses Transparent Rice Wrappers which are available in Asian Markets around the world, including Bio ..

For the Prawn Dim Sum:

250 grams jumbo fresh prawns peeled and de-veined
50 grams bamboo shoots finely sliced ( I do not care for so I shall not employ ) .. I plan to sub bok choi minced finely .. ( a Chinese Cabbage which I will sauté in a very light Evoo, let cool and place in ice wáter and mince the bok choi .. )
1 tablespoon Bio Sesame Oil
1 tablesp. Japanese or Chinese Rice Wine ( one can sub Spanish Dry Fino Sherry )
1/ 4 tsp. White Pepper ground or White peppercorns to ground
1 tsp. Bio Cane Sugar or Caster Sugar.
1 Tsp. Salt ..
16 Ready made dim sum wrappers .. ( Found in Asian Markets worldwide )

For the Dipping Sauce:
3 tablps. Bio Soy Sauce
1 tblsp. Sesame Oil
2 dried red Cayenne chili peppers crumbled ( called guindillas ) and are available in all Latin Supermarket Sections or Grocers ..
3 tablesp. Rice Vinegar
1 tablespoon of BIo Cane Sugar (or industralised if you prefer)

1. For the dips, place the soy sauce, sesame oil and one of the crumbled chili peppers into a clean bowl and whisk together ..
2. Meanwhile, place the rice vinegar, sugar and the remaining chili pepper into a sauté pan and heat until the sugar dissolves .. Remove from the heat and allow to cool .. Then pour into the bowl ..
3. For the prawn dim sum: Place the prawns into a food processor or blender or use as I do a stand up Mixer and blend the sliced de-veined and peeled prawns. Transfer to a bowl and add all the other ingredients, except the Rice Wrappers and combine thoroughly.
4. Put the rice wrappers on a clean work Surface, and place a small spoonful of the prawn mixture in the centre of each wrapper .. Fold the wrappers over the prawn mixture to créate a semi circular or half moon and press the edges of the wrappers together with damp fingers to seal the wrappers and crimp the edges with a fork ..
5. Place the parcels into a bamboo steamer over of a sauce pan of simmering wáter and cover .. Steam for 4 minutes to 5 minutes or until the prawn mixture is cooked and remove from the steamer and serve immediately ..
6. To serve, place the dim sum onto a serving plate or in bamboo baskets with a bowl of the dipping sauce on side and chopsticks.

Serve with a delicate White wine or Hot Sake ..

Last edited:
Bio and Organic are different in Spain:

Bio or Ecological or Substainable is 100% Natural and No additives. ( Rural Boutique farmers, Tiny Farmer´s Markets etcetra ) ..

Organic is also 100% Natural however, controlled politically.

After, looking at the next Cooking Bites Cook Along list of Suggestions, it caught my attention to look for an easy method to create a favorite Prawn Dim Sum Appetiser ..

Here is the récipe, I shall use as an experiment on Friday morning .. Need to go pick up the ingredients at La Mercat de La Boqueria Central Market and El Corte Ingles Supermarket .. Shall snap a photo and place here after I prepare the Xia Jiao ..

Recipe Copyright: James Martin - The B.B.C. Food Recipe Website ..

To keep it simply, simple this recipe uses Transparent Rice Wrappers which are available in Asian Markets around the world, including Bio ..

For the Prawn Dim Sum:

250 grams jumbo fresh prawns peeled and de-veined
50 grams bamboo shoots finely sliced ( I do not care for so I shall not employ ) .. I plan to sub bok choi minced finely .. ( a Chinese Cabbage which I will sauté in a very light Evoo, let cool and place in ice wáter and mince the bok choi .. )
1 tablespoon Bio Sesame Oil
1 tablesp. Japanese or Chinese Rice Wine ( one can sub Spanish Dry Fino Sherry )
1/ 4 tsp. White Pepper ground or White peppercorns to ground
1 tsp. Bio Cane Sugar or Caster Sugar.
1 Tsp. Salt ..
16 Ready made dim sum wrappers .. ( Found in Asian Markets worldwide )

For the Dipping Sauce:
3 tablps. Bio Soy Sauce
1 tblsp. Sesame Oil
2 dried red Cayenne chili peppers crumbled ( called guindillas ) and are available in all Latin Supermarket Sections or Grocers ..
3 tablesp. Rice Vinegar
1 tablespoon of BIo Cane Sugar (or industralised if you prefer)

1. For the dips, place the soy sauce, sesame oil and one of the crumbled chili peppers into a clean bowl and whisk together ..
2. Meanwhile, place the rice vinegar, sugar and the remaining chili pepper into a sauté pan and heat until the sugar dissolves .. Remove from the heat and allow to cool .. Then pour into the bowl ..
3. For the prawn dim sum: Place the prawns into a food processor or blender or use as I do a stand up Mixer and blend the sliced de-veined and peeled prawns. Transfer to a bowl and add all the other ingredients, except the Rice Wrappers and combine thoroughly.
4. Put the rice wrappers on a clean work Surface, and place a small spoonful of the prawn mixture in the centre of each wrapper .. Fold the wrappers over the prawn mixture to créate a semi circular or half moon and press the edges of the wrappers together with damp fingers to seal the wrappers and crimp the edges with a fork ..
5. Place the parcels into a bamboo steamer over of a sauce pan of simmering wáter and cover .. Steam for 4 minutes to 5 minutes or until the prawn mixture is cooked and remove from the steamer and serve immediately ..
6. To serve, place the dim sum onto a serving plate or in bamboo baskets with a bowl of the dipping sauce on side and chopsticks.

Serve with a delicate White wine or Hot Sake ..

@Sandra

Simply simple !

I have had these at a local Asian Restaurant and truly enjoyed them .. So, I shall give it a try ..

I shall give them a Japanese twist as I shall use Japanese Bio substainable products ..

I shall pick up a tiny bottle of Bio Sesame Oil from a friend in the Restaurant business tomorrow ..

Shall let you know how it goes ..

Goodnight ..

Back
Top Bottom