Eat Where the Locals Eat

Kate

Veteran
Local time
6:36 AM
When I'm traveling, I always try to eat at the places that serve local cuisine... and where the locals gather. I figure if the parking lot is full and it's not a touristy area in general, I'll be getting a good meal there.

When looking for local cuisine, what kind of restaurant do you prefer? We usually go for either the mom and pops or the family-friendly pubs. The food seems to be so much better at those kinds of places! :thumbsup:

It's a good plan to look for places frequented by locals - or non-locals, in the case of foreign restaurants when you're at home.

My local Chinese restaurant, for example, is frequently full of Chinese students, a pretty good sign of authenticity. And the local Italian place is run by a proper Italian family, I think maybe two brothers and their sons. In both cases, it's not fancy, and it's reasonably priced, and you go away feeling satisfied!

I also make sure to visit a few local eateries each time I travel. However, I have to say, in my experience, not all local restaurants serve tastier food than the ones frequented by tourists. I find that local eateries are a bit of a mixed bag, some of the food is delicious and authentic while others serve very basic but affordable meals. :wink: Still I always walk away feeling full and satisfied and the service is normally excellent.

Yes, always eat where the locals eat! It's the only way to find authentic food. I don't even enjoy fancy restaurants so a tiny one run by a local family is definitely the best choice for me!

I like to eat where locals gather, not just restaurants and fast food chains, but also at street markets or where street vendors sell food.

I have seen documentaries that question the hygiene of food served in such places, but that food is precisely the most tasty of those places, and I have never had any stomach discomfort or health problem eating them.

I like to eat where locals gather, not just restaurants and fast food chains, but also at street markets or where street vendors sell food.

I have seen documentaries that question the hygiene of food served in such places, but that food is precisely the most tasty of those places, and I have never had any stomach discomfort or health problem eating them.

Personally I don't think they have great hygiene but then again we only live once. Nowadays people are scared of everything, I figured if he still has customers that are alive I should also remain alive after eating his food. So I still go for it, and I'm still alive and well.

Yeah, that's the point, we are actually being taught to be scared just about everything we eat, or what we do, and even we are bombarded with advertising that tries to change our life style, but certainly we only live once and if we don't venture, we won't gain, in this case a taste experience from which you and I are survivors :)

I agree, it usually means more reasonable prices too, since locals don't have the patience for tourist prices.

In my neighborhood that can sometimes mean ordering without a clear English menu, but that's where your spirit of adventure comes into it! :)

Yes, but isn't it hard to find where the locals eat when you're a tourist? I suppose the cars in the parking lot concept is a good idea. But only if you're looking for local license plates.

Yes, but isn't it hard to find where the locals eat when you're a tourist? I suppose the cars in the parking lot concept is a good idea. But only if you're looking for local license plates.

Well, apps like Yelp and Foursquare can be very handy in this respect. Yelp in particular shows reviewers city of residence, so if a place has 25 reviews from locals vs. visitors, that right there is a good sign.

Sometimes it's obvious from looking at a place, the difference in decor between a place where locals grab lunch and a place meant to attract tourists is usually pretty big.

And then, of course, if you're overseas or in a neighborhood with a particular ethnic majority, you're likely to be able to spot when the majority of the diners are locals. And sometimes even if not, just the way people dress will tip you off; in San Francisco you can just look for the Alcatraz hoodies vs. layered black clothing :wink:

I definitely try and seek out "hole in the wall" type places. They usually have a lot more character!

Oh, and if you have time to research in advance I recommend Chowhound as a good website. The folks on there love sharing their recommendations :)

I like to eat at the local restaurants when in another area. They have good food and a friendly atmosphere. Plus you know thatyou are going to be satisfied because people love to go there and the parking lotis aalways full.

We always try the local cuisine as it can give us ideas to try when we get home. The whole point of travelling to another country is to absorb the local culture, not easy to do in a KFC of McD.

Yeah there are an awful lot of KFC and McDonald's around. They are very popular, but I prefer local fare when I go to another state or country. Their food is a welcome change from the ordinary.

Back
Top Bottom