Eat Where the Locals Eat

Yeah, and even with stuff that seems familiar, like burgers or whatever, there will be local twists or variations. That's how I discovered putting lime on corn on the cob instead of butter :)

I love a good greasy spoon diner, especially for breakfast, but also those 3:30am "breakfasts" too, lol. Whenever I am in New York I hit them up all the time for breakfast and lunch. Even in NYC, their prices are still very reasonable and they help keep me from blowing my budget.

I will also try and ask around for where all the good off the beaten path joints are. Some of them are tough to find, and I would never have discovered them unless people told me exactly where they were. For example, in my parent's home town there is this unassuming little dive bar looking place that is hidden away on a little side street - but they happen to do these fantastic spit fire roasts of lamb, pork and chicken, and the food is off the hook. All home made and slow cooked and nothing like you would get at a chain restaurant.

When I'm traveling, I always try to eat at the places that serve local cuisine... and where the locals gather. I figure if the parking lot is full and it's not a touristy area in general, I'll be getting a good meal there.

When looking for local cuisine, what kind of restaurant do you prefer? We usually go for either the mom and pops or the family-friendly pubs. The food seems to be so much better at those kinds of places! :thumbsup:
I just look for the healthy foods. I don't care if it's a local place or not, as long as it's a vegan restaurant I will give it a try, at least once.

I agree with you sorting out places where the locals eat most is a great idea. It gives you a fair idea of what is popular and what is reasonable as well! Every now and then I do veer off to some of the tourist places and try the food out there!

Little mom and pop type cafes are some of the best places you can eat and the locals usually know where they are. There is a little taco restaurant near me that you would probably pass by and not even notice unless you knew where it was, and might not even enter it if you saw it. I go there all of the time and they serve the best little soft tacos I have ever eaten.

I have to say when I travel I don't usually bother too much about what the locals are eating. I am a little cautious to tell the truth and because my trips are always for business I like to play it safe. My travel takes me to Miami most of the times and truth of the matter is I don't even know what is considered a local dish there. Maybe someone in the forum can help me there. I'm happy to just eat at Chili's or TGI Fridays when I can squeeze some eating into the trip. Failing that it's whatever I can pick up along the way to keep me alive.

Just typing about the subject took me back about 20 years ago to a holiday in the UK. It was my first trip there and all I remember was having to make sure I got some English fish and chips.

eating where the locals eat just depends where you are,on holiday i will ask my hosts about eating out and have a look at the like it or loath it trip advisor ,
i do love street food with the locals if i feel its safe,and markets are a good place for local delicacies,

Wherever my family is travelling we see to it that we will not leave the place without experiencing eating their local foods even in their local restaurant. The reason why we are going to another place is to know their culture and its people and at the same time to taste their own local foods that is why as much as possible we avoid eating to KFC or McDonald's which we all know is everywhere around every country of destination.

I have to say when I travel I don't usually bother too much about what the locals are eating. I am a little cautious to tell the truth and because my trips are always for business I like to play it safe. My travel takes me to Miami most of the times and truth of the matter is I don't even know what is considered a local dish there. Maybe someone in the forum can help me there. I'm happy to just eat at Chili's or TGI Fridays when I can squeeze some eating into the trip. Failing that it's whatever I can pick up along the way to keep me alive.

Just typing about the subject took me back about 20 years ago to a holiday in the UK. It was my first trip there and all I remember was having to make sure I got some English fish and chips.

I guess you are already from the Caribbean so you know some good food, but when I am in Miami there is a chain I like called Pollo Tropical. I know I am safe eating there, although the servings are somewhat small and it can be pricey for just fast food. But it's a good safe bet for lunch!

I think Miami food has a big Cuban influence as well as Puerto Rican. I like Cuban food and trust their restaurants but have never really tried a Puerto Rican restaurant so can't judge.

I have a friend that travels alot and likes to search out the local hole in the wall for the best local food, he likes to eat what the locals eat, he says it is better tasting than the chains.

I always found, when traveling, that it's good to know someone in the place you're going. Think of it in the reverse: Your friend lives in the UK & is coming to visit you. You know all the great spots to visit with them & eat at. So, I would trust them blindly. It's their town & all the research in the world can't compare to tasting a restaurants food.

Back
Top Bottom