Eating & cooking with the seasons

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:24 PM
Do you tend to cook according to the time of year? For example, do you eat more salads in Summer and more robust stews and soups in Winter? And do you tend to eat seasonal produce?

I'll eat any sort of dish any time of year. A curry is fine, summer or winter. And I'll eat a salad anytime of year, particularly if it contains seasonal produce. What about you?

We do tend to eat very seasonally. We also cook seasonally as well by which I mean we'll favour whatever produce is in season locally or had been lifted from our garden veg patch.

In summer we tend to favour salads and cold meals. In winter we'll stick with more stews, casseroles and soups. Autumn and Spring vary according to what the weather is actually doing that week.

Yes, but not religiously.

'Robust' dishes in the winter, middling to light in the summer. But I'll happily mix it up on occasion as the fancy takes me.

Salads all through the year, stews and casseroles mainly winter, although mid winter here and we are having smoked chicken fettucine pasta tonight . With lots of garlic bread and roll poly pudding.
Our produce allows me to,cook anything at any time, due to,freezing as well.
Russ

I have been known to eat salads in the summer, and soup in the winter; the last thing someone wants is to be even more overheated eating hot food in the warm weather as it makes them feel worse. That's my thought. :)

the last thing someone wants is to be even more overheated eating hot food in the warm weather as it makes them feel worse.

Quite true - I am very bad with hot weather. So if its really hot I wouldn't eat a hot soup, for example. Curry is different though. I'll eat a hot curry anytime!

Considering we only have the 2 seasons, pretty much goes anytime of year. In Summer we mostly use the induction burners inside and not the stove top or oven. I had sticker shock yesterday at the grocery, Hass avocados $2.49 each!:eek: Two weeks ago they were 2 for $1.00.

Considering we only have the 2 seasons, pretty much goes anytime of year. In Summer we mostly use the induction burners inside and not the stove top or oven. I had sticker shock yesterday at the grocery, Hass avocados $2.49 each!:eek: Two weeks ago they were 2 for $1.00.

In the UK they vary - but about $1 each at the moment. Oh well - not quite as bad as the price spotted by @rascal in early May! See here.

We like stews and broths in winter, lighter and salads in the summer months. You can't beat the first stew of the year :happy:

Do you tend to cook according to the time of year? For example, do you eat more salads in Summer and more robust stews and soups in Winter? And do you tend to eat seasonal produce?

I'll eat any sort of dish any time of year. A curry is fine, summer or winter. And I'll eat a salad anytime of year, particularly if it contains seasonal produce. What about you?

I tend to do that at times!! Certain dishes, I cook according to the time of the year. For instance, I make ice cream in the summer. Soups m& stews in the winter. I gorge on watermelon in the summer!! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom