Edible Papers

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
7:29 PM
Most Edible Papers are used in baking, for applying Frostings and Icings and for shaping Confections and certain baked goods like Nougats.

Often, Edible Papers are simply produced from Rice or Potato Flours and can be store bought or self made. Japanese Nori sheets are the exception in that they are made from Seaweed. Edible papers used in baking can be produced from Sugars.

Sugar Papers for Baking include Fondants, Oblatens, Icing Sheets and Frosting Sheets.

Rice Papers can be used to create Fried Vegetable and/or Meat filled Rolls such as Lumpia or Egg Rolls.

Nori has a wide variety of uses in Japanese Cuisine.

Are there other types of Edible Papers? Other uses for Edible Papers?

How have you used Edible Papers?

To make an Edible Paper, all that it is needed is Starch and Cellulose. A true paper mashes its ingredients together and then presses them out to form the paper and allow it to dry. This might allow for a large variety of Edible Papers.

I was curious to see if anyone ever thought to create edible Vegetable Papers other than using Potatoes.

I googled around for Vegetable Papers and it seems that these are possible, but there are no examples of them being used for food, instead they are used to create 'Vegetable Art'.

BTW: For those who have a mind to, I suppose you could ferment wet Edible Papers to create an alcoholic Beverage.

I don't think I've ever used them. But then I don't make a lot of cakes etc. I'd probably be more interested in using them in a savoury dish. I've seen use of vegetable gel sheets used in fine dining - but they are made with agar and are not paper-like.

There is a 'retro' sweet (candy) available in the UK called 'flying saucers' which are made from edible paper (rice, I think) filled with sherbet. I think they were first produced in the 1950's.

I think that these Edible Papers open up some new ways to create some interesting food preparations. Like the Fruit Paste thing I just explored, I may be looking at this sort of thing a bit in the coming weeks - or months.

The possibilities I see are three - 1) Holding things together to give them unique shapes, 2) containing things in envelopes like you'd do with Ravioli and such and 3) Sugar Sheets for some unique sweets and deserts.

Last edited:
I think that I would like to use some Sugar Papers (fruit flavored and colored) to create some edible Oragami.

Edible Oragami would make a great side to certain Entrees, like Sushi, Tempura, Udon or Yakatori. And you can attack the little buggers with chop sticks too. :hungry:

Back
Top Bottom