Edible water bottle to make a splash

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
11:02 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Published earlier this month, edible packaging made from water has won joint first prize in the UK round of an European competition for more sustainable products.

www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/sep/10/edible-water-bottle-to-cause-a-splash-at-eu-sustainability-awards

“[Ooho] is a good replacement packaging that would be really widely applicable across lots of different products. The potential for packaging reduction is really high for one of the petroleum products used across the world.”

Ooho designer Pierre Paslier, described the product as like a “man-made fruit”, which uses a double membrane to contain water. To carry larger quantities of water, a number of the capsules can be packed into a larger and thicker skin: much like an orange.

He told the Guardian: “At the end of the day you don’t have to eat it. But the edible part shows how natural it is. People are really enthusiastic about the fact that you can create a material for packaging matter that is so harmless that you can eat it.”

He added: “Somany things are wrong about plastic bottles: the time they take to decompose, the amount of energy that goes into making them and the fact we are using more and more.”

What a great idea! You only have to look at things like the Great Pacific Garbage Patch to realize we have to do something about the sheer number of plastics we consume and just throw away. Here in Japan recycling is pretty strict (which is good - it makes me happy that they are so diligent with it) but I know in other countries I've lived, people don't recycle properly and things like that. I think things like this which use more natural type things for packaging are wonderful.

Good idea!Not as good as my invention on April the first one year ,I managed to convince 4 colleagues I was leaving to run my new company and patent of dehydrated water just add water to use!

I wonder how much energy it would cost to manufacture these biodegradable water bottles it was never mentioned in the article. If it would cost less to make them compared with the plastic ones then this is indeed a better solution for a more sustainable earth.

I think this is an excellent idea. We certainly don't need any more plastic bottles! I think any biodegrdable solution is wonderful whether we end up eating the bottle or not. It saves on resources, is less polluting and may be healthier as well. I have heard that drinking from warm plastics can be cancer causing.

I have heard that drinking from warm plastics can be cancer causing.
I'm pretty certain that that is related to the type of plastic used in the bottle and the BPA issues (Bisphenol A) that have recently hit the headlines, however it may well not actually be the issue that it has been made out to be.... or that the alternatives are just as bad (BPF and BPS)... http://time.com/3742871/bpa-free-health/

Good idea!Not as good as my invention on April the first one year ,I managed to convince 4 colleagues I was leaving to run my new company and patent of dehydrated water just add water to use!
Absolutely brilliant! Aren't you clever! :)

This does sound like a great idea. So many disposable plastic bottles end up in the landfill and they can take hundreds of years to break down depending on what kind of plastic is used to make them. Kind of reminds me of a candy that I used to have when I was a kid. They were little juice bottles that were made of a wax substance, you drink the juice in the bottle and chewed on the wax. I really miss those candies!

Back
Top Bottom