Efficient toaster

osemcgroat

Local time
12:50 PM
Does anybody have a 2-man toaster that does a good job? I like toast crisp outside, soft inside. My last toaster was the least worst of a thoroughly bad bunch, most of which (especially the more expensive ones) baked the bread rather than toasting it. One of the dearest had an element like one of the old electric fires, with a mirror behind it! Any recommendations would be gratefully received.

I'm really picky about toast, and after many years, I discovered bad toast is usually the result of bad bread, not a bad toaster.

That said, the best toast I get is usually out of the grill/broiler, but I use my basic $10 toaster more for speed than anything else.

I'm really picky about toast, and after many years, I discovered bad toast is usually the result of bad bread, not a bad toaster.

Wow, I never would have guessed. :whistling:

I gave up on trying to find a perfect toaster. My current one toasts one side more than the other. I just live with it. My paternal grandfather was obsessed. He'd show me the toast and proclaim, "Look at this! One side is done and the other isn't!!!"

CD

Wow, I never would have guessed. :whistling:
Probably the best toast I ever had was on an Aga - funny that a cooker that costs the same as a car, and nearly the same to run it each month, it's big selling point is, "It makes really good toast!"

I'm not knocking Agas - I'm just jealous I can't afford one. :laugh:

In my $15 Sunbeam toaster, I have it down to a method. In goes the bread, and the doneness knob gets set to about 1/2 of the way over. Once it pops up, I simultaneously turn the slice upside down and front to back, then I reduce the power to 1/4, and back down it goes.

Then it sits in the toast rack for several minutes to cool off. I like my butter to stay solid and not melt.

I mentioned in the BLT topic about diners and toast. Around here, diners are concerned with getting food out as fast as possible, and one area where they cut corners is with the toast conveyor machine. They turn that thing up as fast as it'll go, and you get bread that's barely warmed, and not even close to toasted.

I'm not one to send food back unless I absolutely have to, because I know what happens to complainers' food when it's sent back, so I just deal with it and figure it's a small price to pay for someone else making my breakfast.

We were at Waffle House a few years ago, and the waitress brought a guy his breakfast, and he started eating. Before long, I heard him tell the waitress, "I ordered toast, not warm bread. Could I get some bread that's been, you know, toasted?"

I couldn't help it, I raised both my arms and shouted, "PREACH IT, BROTHER, PREACH THE GOOD WORD!!!" :laugh:

A truly international response! Thanks guys.

The secret of a good toaster - for me more important than evenness - would be that the element is very hot and close to the bread. Light brown on the outside, soft so you can taste the bread on the inside, The best one I have is in my caravan, and cost around £10 in Sainsbury's.

The best one I have is in my caravan, and cost around £10 in Sainsbury's.

That says it all... in many many toaster years I've yet to find any that are perfect. The best I had was also a cheap supermarket job. Some toasters don't even fit an average slice of bread (why?).

The one thing my wife cooks? Is crumpets, it's a thing of beauty to get it right. She puts two in a double toaster facing each other. Pop up. Turn to opposite. Pop up. Turn again. Pop up. Then pop in again for about 20 secs. Perfect toasted, butter then Vegemite. Perfect. I have these about once a month.? I leave her to do them. She knows I love them like that crunchy?

Russ

She knows I love them like that crunchy?

I also prefer them crunchy.

Hey guys, how about some specifics? Hasn't anybody got a 2-man toaster that does the business that they can recommend? I'm dying here!

Hey guys, how about some specifics? Hasn't anybody got a 2-man toaster that does the business that they can recommend? I'm dying here!

I would suggest an efficient toaster would be a halogen oven. It's a bit of a pain because of it's size but I have had regular success with cheese/onion/ham on toast. I have not yet tried it for toasted sandwiches. For standard toast I just use the Tefal.

Probably the best toast I ever had was on an Aga - funny that a cooker that costs the same as a car, and nearly the same to run it each month, it's big selling point is, "It makes really good toast!"

I'm not knocking Agas - I'm just jealous I can't afford one.
In the UK I've had a solid fuel and oil type, both cost me buttons. The price of each house was agreed. The kitchen equip was open to offers. I told them I was not interested. I checked how much they are to decommission dismantle and move then rebuild reinstall cost then about £1500. I offered them £100 cash, they both refused. I refused to complete until each one had been removed. The oil aga would of had to be removed with a drained tank. 24 hrs before completion they accepted.
You have to put your toast between a round wire mesh thingy and place on the fast round plate, the crumbs go everywhere burn and set the smoke detectors off.

Back
Top Bottom