Recipe Egg-free Mayonnaise

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:17 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
So after my hubby came home with smoky vegan mayo instead of vegan mayonnaise, I was left needing to improvise and find up ways of using the stuff he bought.

So first steps first. An egg-free mayonnaise.

20231211_154610.jpg

This has actually meant I've needed to get out my immersion blender. It also meant I've actually had to look up what attachments to use and clean various containers out that came with it. You get the idea. It and I haven't really got on. All of that took longer than making the egg-free mayo.

Ingredients
250ml (200-220g) neutral oil
125ml (125g) soy milk
¼-½ tsp sea salt

*Extras
¼ tsp black pepper
½ tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp apple cider vinegar

Method
Well it couldn't really get any easier.
  1. Have everything at room temperature (zap the soy milk in the microwave for 30 seconds if needed).
  2. Add everything* to the immersion blender jug and whisk with the whisk attachment. I found having a tea towel handy helped to stop some of the splashes.
  3. Keep whisking until it turns thick. If it is gaining to thicken, add a tbsp of extra oil, and try again. Repeat as needed.
  4. Transfer to a suitable container and put into the fridge. It will thicken further apparently.
So I made 2 versions because I wanted to cook with one of them, and needed no extras*.

Yes, it's an oil, protein mixture that tastes like an egg-based mayo. The version with the extras has the edge, but that won't work for tomorrow's plans.

20231211_153949.jpg
20231211_154454.jpg

Based on these recipes.

Easy Homemade Vegan Mayonnaise
Vegan Mayo (Thick and Creamy)
The BEST Vegan Mayonnaise (4 Ingredients)

Does the soy milk have anything added to it (as bought)?
No, just as bought. It's not a sweet one, I only use Bonsoy. It's 14% organic soy beans. They're are 2.2g of "sugar" in 100ml of soy milk. It's the same one I make my soy yoghurt and vegan butter from.

It's ingredients are listed as

Ingredients
Filtered water, Organic (Certified USFDA, NOP) Whole Soybeans (min. 14%), Tapioca Syrup, Sea Salt, Job’s Tear (Hato Mugi), Calcium Carbonate.

So after my hubby came home with smoky vegan mayo instead of vegan mayonnaise, I was left needing to improvise and find up ways of using the stuff he bought.

So first steps first. An egg-free mayonnaise.

View attachment 107906

This has actually meant I've needed to get out my immersion blender. It also meant I've actually had to look up what attachments to use and clean various containers out that came with it. You get the idea. It and I haven't really got on. All of that took longer than making the egg-free mayo.

Ingredients
250ml (200-220g) neutral oil
125ml (125g) soy milk
¼-½ tsp sea salt

*Extras
¼ tsp black pepper
½ tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp apple cider vinegar

Method
Well it couldn't really get any easier.
  1. Have everything at room temperature (zap the soy milk in the microwave for 30 seconds if needed).
  2. Add everything* to the immersion blender jug and whisk with the whisk attachment. I found having a tea towel handy helped to stop some of the splashes.
  3. Keep whisking until it turns thick. If it is gaining to thicken, add a tbsp of extra oil, and try again. Repeat as needed.
  4. Transfer to a suitable container and put into the fridge. It will thicken further apparently.
So I made 2 versions because I wanted to cook with one of them, and needed no extras*.

Yes, it's an oil, protein mixture that tastes like an egg-based mayo. The version with the extras has the edge, but that won't work for tomorrow's plans.

View attachment 107905View attachment 107907

Based on these recipes.

Easy Homemade Vegan Mayonnaise
Vegan Mayo (Thick and Creamy)
The BEST Vegan Mayonnaise (4 Ingredients)
It looks like it should taste great. Bravo. I made an aioli the other day which was no better than passable. Perhaps a vinegar would have provided more flavor than the lemon juice I used.

No, just as bought. It's not a sweet one, I only use Bonsoy. It's 14% organic soy beans. They're are 2.2g of "sugar" in 100ml of soy milk. It's the same one I make my soy yoghurt and vegan butter from.

It's ingredients are listed as

Yeah - I was asking if it had anything added 'as bought'. I was curious as I suspected it may have some starch added (which it has). I am wondering if this is why it works to make mayonnaise. But - I may be wrong. I've tried with almond milk and it doesn't work but that is nut milk rather than bean milk. Best results for vegan I can get is with aquafaba.

Yeah - I was asking if it had anything added 'as bought'. I was curious as I suspected it may have some starch added (which it has). I am wondering if this is why it works to make mayonnaise. But - I may be wrong. I've tried with almond milk and it doesn't work but that is nut milk rather than bean milk. Best results for vegan I can get is with aquafaba.
From what I've read, it's the proteins in it that is the key. The way to test would be for someone to try it with full cream dairy milk. Soy and dairy milk have very similar proteins (thankfully just not identical!) and that's why they are often interchangeable in recipes.

Back
Top Bottom