Egg poachers

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
4:08 PM
[Mod.edit: this post and following few moved here to form a new topic (MG)]

My MIL gave me an egg poaching pan last year (or was it the year before)...anyway, I finally got around to using it today for the first time and it works pretty well! I made some seafood eggs benedict with slivered asparagus and hollandaise. The seafood mixture contained shrimp, scallop, lobster, crab, and smoked salmon. It was pretty much fabulous!

Last edited by a moderator:
My MIL gave me an egg poaching pan last year (or was it the year before)...anyway, I finally got around to using it today for the first time and it works pretty well! I made some seafood eggs benedict with slivered asparagus and hollandaise. The seafood mixture contained shrimp, scallop, lobster, crab, and smoked salmon. It was pretty much fabulous!

View attachment 87524View attachment 87522
View attachment 87521
How high up does the water come in that thing, like halfway? I have one too, but I’m not quite sure how it works, and I’m too lazy to google it.

How high up does the water come in that thing, like halfway? I have one too, but I’m not quite sure how it works, and I’m too lazy to google it.
Only need about 1/2 inch of water, but it's important to spray the little individual egg holders with non-stick oil. Bring the water to a boil, put the egg trays in, and boil on medium flame for about 5 minutes covered. I didn't google it either, I just flew by the seat of my pants and it worked. I did remember MIL telling me about the non-stick spray but the rest of what she said went through my brain like water through a collander.

Edited to add: just rereading this, and thought it was funny...non-stick oil, as opposed to sticky oil? Ummm...

Last edited:
Only need about 1/2 inch of water, but it's important to spray the little individual egg holders with non-stick oil. Bring the water to a boil, put the egg trays in, and boil on medium flame for about 5 minutes covered. I didn't google it either, I just flew by the seat of my pants and it worked. I did remember MIL telling me about the non-stick spray but the rest of what she said went through my brain like water through a collander.

Thats how my mom made poached eggs. I grew up thinking that's how everybody made them.

CD

Last edited:
Not here we don't, sorry. Hubby poaches them in a pan of near boiling water with a tablespoon of vinegar. He's better at it than me though ;(
It's new to me. I had this pan in my cabinet for 2 years and still did them the old fashioned way up until today.

It's new to me. I had this pan in my cabinet for 2 years and still did them the old fashioned way up until today.
We don't have one, and to be honest I'm not certain we have poached eggs often enough to warranty purchasing one, but if I could pick one up free off www.freecycle.org them I might.

We don't have one, and to be honest I'm not certain we have poached eggs often enough to warranty purchasing one, but if I could pick one up free off www.freecycle.org them I might.
It was a gift but I don't think they are costly. I doubtfully would have bought it either but now knowing how easy it is i will probably make them more often.

It was a gift but I don't think they are costly. I doubtfully would have bought it either but now knowing how easy it is i will probably make them more often.

These were the last ones hubby made, I cut into them for the photo.

I can't eat eggs too often because I'm exceptionally sensitive to the cholesterol in them for some reason. A guaranteed way of getting another blood test needed is for me to have eaten just a single egg inside 3-4 days of a blood test being due. If I don't eat eggs at all, then my test results are great. So despite having 18 chickens (ok, not all lay because some are too old and I'm happy for them to live out their lives naturally) most of my eggs get given away to a food charity.

I’ve had mine for 30 years, and used it for the first time a few weeks ago, but they were so-so, because I wasn’t quite sure how it worked, so I guessed, and I guessed wrong.

I’ve had mine for 30 years, and used it for the first time a few weeks ago, but they were so-so, because I wasn’t quite sure how it worked, so I guessed, and I guessed wrong.

To be honest, I don't think eggs cooked in one of those pans are technically 'poached'. I think they are coddled or steamed (or both). They have a different shape and the white has a different texture. I'll call on garlichead as a resident chef for his view...

To be honest, I don't think eggs cooked in one of those pans are technically 'poached'. I think they are coddled or steamed (or both). They have a different shape and the white has a different texture. I'll call on garlichead as a resident chef for his view...
I think the same thing, and I’ve since read a couple of instruction pages on them and they agreeing, they’re technically coddled, not poached, but the end result is close enough.

Technically a coddled egg is put into a container of some kind then placed in a baine marie. A poached egg is submerged into acidulated water. The non stick then sprayed for release uses the coddling method then remove to resemble where poached eggs are generally used like eggs benny for example, so it can be somewhat confusing. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom