Egg poachers

Slightly different texture as well.
Agreed. I used it again today. I think I much prefer the results of the traditional method, but for it's ease of use to make hubby's breakfast (and he doesn't seem to care) I will use it again when making "poached" eggs for him.

I wrote a post on the thread about electric egg boilers in which I mentioned the egg poacher my son had given me. I have it sitting out ready to be donated to a charity shop. I'm the only one who eats poached eggs on a regular basis, so a poacher which cooks four at a time is a bit of a waste to me. Also, the traditional method of poaching eggs in a saucepan is quicker - boil water in kettle, add to saucepan break egg on to saucer and slip into saucepan, bring water back to the boil, then lower heat for two minutes - results are usually good.

Having said all that, I remember my aunt cooking poached eggs for my family when we visited her many years ago, probably by the traditional method - there were eight of us in our family - she could probably have done with the above-mentioned poacher.

I watched a video recently where someone poached their eggs by first letting them sit in some vinegar and water for about 10 minutes.

Apparently, that causes the white to start to set ever so slightly, just enough for it to hold its shape when lifted out of the vinegary water and dropped into a simmering pot to do the poaching. It’s supposed to be a restaurant technique for doing a lot of eggs at one time. 🤷🏻

I’m going to try it next time I poach an egg.

I watched a video recently where someone poached their eggs by first letting them sit in some vinegar and water for about 10 minutes.

Apparently, that causes the white to start to set ever so slightly, just enough for it to hold its shape when lifted out of the vinegary water and dropped into a simmering pot to do the poaching. It’s supposed to be a restaurant technique for doing a lot of eggs at one time. 🤷🏻

I’m going to try it next time I poach an egg.

I saw a video like that, too. It was a chef describing what she did at the restaurant. It sure worked when she demonstrated it. I want to try it, too.

CD

I haven´t got the pan, but neither do I make mine as they should be made; I make mine wrapped in clingfilm.
Nothing like a poached egg!

I tried wrapping the eggs in clingfilm some time ago (it has been suggested on this forum before). Mine were a complete disaster and I cannot remember why (it could have been my incompetence). I never tried it again.

Here it is:

View: https://youtu.be/mrq3iZcvHAw

I don’t even have the need to poach a lot of eggs. I just want to see if it works! :)
Right!
I thought that I'd seen this.
Please report back there TastyReuben.
I'm with you, normally I only make 2-4 poached eggs at a time, but I mean if it comes out perfect each and every time, I'm in.
And there's a question:
Can poached eggs be frozen? Or is that even worth it, say if I did make a dozen poached eggs?

I tried wrapping the eggs in clingfilm some time ago (it has been suggested on this forum before). Mine were a complete disaster and I cannot remember why (it could have been my incompetence). I never tried it again.
I just recently purchased a new box of clingfilm/plastic wrap that is just rubbish! Very thin. I'm hoping it runs out soon!!!
I need to go get some Kirkland brand Stretch-Tite, that's the BEST!!!
I'm thinking that using a thin wrap wouldn't work well, mainly because when I've used it to cover a dish and reheated it in the microwave oven, IT MELTED!!! I can only imagine what the heck would happen in boiling water for 4.5-5 minutes (I "giggled" the clingfilm method-easy peasy).

Cling film method:
You´ll need some teacups/coffee cups to do this. Cut a large piece of clingfilm and press it gently into each teacup, ensuring there´s plenty of clingfilm overhanging the edges. Emphasise gently, because it clings to the sides and you want to ease it down to the bottom; do it too hard and you´ll break the film. Lightly grease each clingfilm cup with butter, oil, what ever you use. Break an egg into each cup, then gather the 4 corners of the film together, gently pulling up the sides, until you have an egg package.
Twist the cling film to ensure it´s closed. I´ve seen some people tie up the packages with elastic bands, but it´s not really necessary.
Bring the water to a boil, drop in the packages and cook 4 minutes.
The huge advantage is that you can do eggs for half a dozen people all at the same time.
Cling film eggs

Back
Top Bottom