Egg poachers

Cling film method:
You´ll need some teacups/coffee cups to do this. Cut a large piece of clingfilm and press it gently into each teacup, ensuring there´s plenty of clingfilm overhanging the edges. Emphasise gently, because it clings to the sides and you want to ease it down to the bottom; do it too hard and you´ll break the film. Lightly grease each clingfilm cup with butter, oil, what ever you use. Break an egg into each cup, then gather the 4 corners of the film together, gently pulling up the sides, until you have an egg package.

If I remember correctly, you are accurately describing what I should have done and what did wrong!

However, it appears to be a lot of messing about compared with my usual method (I only cook two maximum).

However, it appears to be a lot of messing about compared with my usual method (I only cook two maximum).
Oh yes, it is a lot of faffing around if it´s only for one or two eggs. BUT, for example, when my son got engaged there were 6 of us for brunch, and I had smoked salmon, herbed cream cheese and two poached eggs per person. Did them all together in one pan.

Cling film method:
You´ll need some teacups/coffee cups to do this. Cut a large piece of clingfilm and press it gently into each teacup, ensuring there´s plenty of clingfilm overhanging the edges. Emphasise gently, because it clings to the sides and you want to ease it down to the bottom; do it too hard and you´ll break the film. Lightly grease each clingfilm cup with butter, oil, what ever you use. Break an egg into each cup, then gather the 4 corners of the film together, gently pulling up the sides, until you have an egg package.
Twist the cling film to ensure it´s closed. I´ve seen some people tie up the packages with elastic bands, but it´s not really necessary.
Bring the water to a boil, drop in the packages and cook 4 minutes.
The huge advantage is that you can do eggs for half a dozen people all at the same time.
Cling film eggs

You can also add other ingredients using this method - herbs, spices etc.

When I poach eggs, I use a large skillet, put a little vinagar in the water, let it come to a simmer & carefully crack the eggs & drop them into the water, bating the tops of them for a few minutes. I cooke them just until the yolks are no longer runny. :whistling:

When I poach eggs, I use a large skillet, put a little vinagar in the water, let it come to a simmer & carefully crack the eggs & drop them into the water, bating the tops of them for a few minutes. I cooke them just until the yolks are no longer runny. :whistling:
That´s probably the right way to do it, or at least the classic French way (oeufs poché) to do it. That´s how you´d expect your eggs to be poached in a proper restaurant.

Am I the only one reading the 'clingfilm' method and thinking about the environment and even the plastic in clingfilm leaching into the egg? I know you can get plastic free clingfilm and environmentally friendly clingfilm but it isn't good at high temperatures.

I'll stick to my current method which is to let hubby make them. He can and does do 4 at a time in one pan without issue.

Last edited:
I'll still to my current method which is to let hubby make them.
You have to make a video of that.

To be clear, I don’t mean a video of your husband’s method, but a video of you, in front of a kitchen counter and cooktop, eggs out, pan of water simmering, bottle of vinegar off to the side…

“Hi, welcome to SatNav’s Savories! If you enjoy this video, be sure to click like and subscribe below (points to the floor with finger).

Today, I want to show you my favorite method for foolproof poached eggs. Darling! Oh, daaaarrrrliiiing! Come poach me eggs!”

<fade to black>

:laugh:

Back
Top Bottom