Eggs in the fridge

Corzhens

Veteran
Local time
12:06 PM
Does anyone here experienced a spoiled egg in the fridge? It's actually not spoiled but somewhat frozen in texture although it is not in the freezer. The taste seems to be okay except for the texture. I am thinking of not putting the eggs inside the fridge anymore but my husband said that this is a tropical country and the eggs might rot.

My fridge will sometimes freeze things. I have had frozen eggs but they are fine once they are cooked. I would definitely not keep them out of the fridge for fear of them rotting. Would much rather have frozen eggs then rotten eggs. :)

Try reducing the temperature of your fridge slightly. I have had eggs like that as well, so I have reduced the temp a bit or moved the eggs to a part of the fridge that isnt quite so cold, but some recipes I have call for eggs at room temperature. I just take them out the night before to ensure they are at room temp. Eggs on the verge of freezing shouldn't be a problem, but I would tend to use them in cakes.

I never put eggs in the fridge. Living in Scotland, temperatures never reach a point where there is a necessity for this...

However, I have lived in tropical countries and when I lived in Eritrea, I never had a fridge. As long as we used the eggs inside a week, there wasn't a problem. We used to do the "sink or stink" test, putting eggs into water and checking that they sank. Eggs that sink are fine; those that don't should be unceremoniously removed from the vicinity.

I've had a few that got slightly frozen but it wasn't a big deal. On the other hand I''ve tossed one or two that were left on the kitchen counter for a little too long. Cozhens you might consider adjusting the temperatures on the fridge.

Actually we do not buy too many eggs and buy only that is good for one week use because we want that we will always have fresh eggs for eating or for use in our cooking. That is why sometimes it is just okay that we will not put it in a refrigerator. And one thing the climate here in our place is always cold that is why the temperature is just good for the eggs. . We only have 3 months summer here and sometimes it is not that hot and the wind is also cold. So far we had not experience having spoiled eggs even it is not in the fridge.

Does sound like the fridge might be too cold if they are starting to freeze. I don't usually store our eggs in the fridge - I just keep them in a cupboard (like Duck59 I do the water test if they're getting a bit old). But then eggs in the UK are generally fine stored at room temperature - its not just about climate but also about the egg production process. Interesting article here: http://www.forbes.com/sites/nadiaar...egal-in-a-british-supermarket-and-vice-versa/

Yes, I think the best idea is to raise the temperature of your fridge a bit., I have had refrigerators that get too cold, and things will start to ice over. I wouldn't think eggs would be too suspectible to that but they might be. I hate to see any food that is frozen or spoiled. Sorry this happened to you Corhenz!

Try reducing the temperature of your fridge slightly. I have had eggs like that as well, so I have reduced the temp a bit or moved the eggs to a part of the fridge that isnt quite so cold, but some recipes I have call for eggs at room temperature. I just take them out the night before to ensure they are at room temp. Eggs on the verge of freezing shouldn't be a problem, but I would tend to use them in cakes.

I think you are right. I had already asked our housemaid to lower the the temperature (by raising the thermostat) so the eggs wouldn't freeze. The other day, she said that the eggs look okay when she fried one for testing. We cannot store the eggs at room temperature because we live in a tropical country and there is a tendency for the eggs to spoil after a week. And we cannot afford to have no eggs in the fridge because it is one of our necessities especially during breakfast.

I have experienced this same problem. I have had the problem of wanting fried egg only to have an iced version of an egg in my frying pan. So frustrating. My refrigerator seems to be having attitude problems. At times it gets super cold other times, it's just barely cooling. It maybe the tropical temperatures, but I've resorted to just keeping the eggs in a small cooler with ice. It works for me since like keep my drinks chilled in the cooler during the day so I don't end up going in the refrigerator 20 times a day. It's something I've resorted to since having so many of my little cousins over.

Back
Top Bottom