Eggs to my door.

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
12:22 AM
My egg supplier had to move out country due to road widening, so I found a friend who could get free range. These have been ok but not on time so we have had to find other eggs. It's hard to get a good large free range with colourful yolks.
So I thought about it and rung the guy I want to get them from. No problem he says, txt me your addy, leave money under the mat and I drop off daily. Wow, my problem solved through a phone call. Money's out eggs due later today.
Can you get that kind of service where you are.?

Russ

Money's out eggs due later today.
Can you get that kind of service where you are.?
Sounds very practical!
During lockdown, last spring there were lots of small farms around my city which offered door delivery. They were significantly more expensive than the supermarket, so I never used them. I do understand they charge for the gas and the time, but provided three /four shops are within 5-10 min walk away, it was not a necessity.

I heard of fresh fish delivery like that too, but never used it either.

I would be a bit uncomfortable leaving money under the mat though. My ap building has 8 floors x 4 aps x 4 people, it just is a lot of people passing by, some with dogs, small children...all my neighbours are wonderful, honestly I don't think any would steal the money, I just would not feel calm being away and leaving the money under the mat.

Funny, there was a strawberry guy who drove to our neighbourhood and sold right out of his van. And had 'infiltrated' the Mom group on Viber😂 advertising daily...some Mom caught him cheating on the weigth though, don' t think he sold much after...

Sounds very practical!
During lockdown, last spring there were lots of small farms around my city which offered door delivery. They were significantly more expensive than the supermarket, so I never used them. I do understand they charge for the gas and the time, but provided three /four shops are within 5-10 min walk away, it was not a necessity.

I heard of fresh fish delivery like that too, but never used it either.

I would be a bit uncomfortable leaving money under the mat though. My ap building has 8 floors x 4 aps x 4 people, it just is a lot of people passing by, some with dogs, small children...all my neighbours are wonderful, honestly I don't think any would steal the money, I just would not feel calm being away and leaving the money under the mat.

Funny, there was a strawberry guy who drove to our neighbourhood and sold right out of his van. And had 'infiltrated' the Mom group on Viber😂 advertising daily...some Mom caught him cheating on the weigth though, don' t think he sold much after...

I agree with you in apartments, I have cameras at front door and back door, plus I'm in a pretty safe area. Lots of old nosey lol people looking out windows. :)

Russ

We have a dozen eggs delivered every weekend from a local farm smallholding. Its more expensive than buying from a supermarket, but we know they are fresh and we are supporting a local business so we're happy with that. Payment is done by direct debit and the eggs are dropped off at the front door every week.

I just get the chooks to deliver them to the door for me. Lol

I do get the same service as you for my wood.
The guy, an English builder whose been over here for a couple of decades now and is married to a local Army officer, actually stacks the wood in my woodshed for me. Everyone else who we've used to get wood has just dumped the load in the driveway and left. Some don't even attempt to get the wood near to the shed for me so I had to move it several hundred meters on one occasion (despite me asking for it much closer and pointing out that I have a bad back and am partially paralyzed). So now, I send him a text message with an estimate of how much wood I have left and he'll deliver the wood, stack it and often disappears before I can pay him! I hate owing people money, but there have been times when I've owed him nearly $1000 because he delivered when I wasn't around or he didn't want to wake me whilst I was sleeping during the day. The last time he was here, he also took my excess eggs to the food bank for me because we'd forgotten to the previous day. He has chooks on his farm but they aren't laying at the moment (moulting stops chooks laying usually, though some of mine don't seem to know this! ) so he had a couple of dozen for his family, another dozen for each neighbour and took the rest (4 or 5 dozen to the food bank). He's not put the price of his wood up the whole time we've been using him and tidies up after himself as well.
And he cuts the wood to the size of our stove so we don't have to worry about logs being too large to fit in from back to front. I don't like putting logs in sideways because they have a habit of rolling against the door which obviously is a fire risk. Other suppliers, outs you get what it is, our builder puts in that little extra and cuts to size!

That is smart. We have two cameras in the joint entry hallway and outside. For all of us. Just feels safer that way.

Good friend of mine ( at the time) had his cricketer friend at home one night, he answered the door to be stabbed to death in his hallway. The neighbour who did it was strung out on drugs. This was 30 years ago, I've never trusted people at my door since. Your life can change just by opening the door. Ffs.

Russ

Good friend of mine ( at the time) had his cricketer friend at home one night, he answered the door to be stabbed to death in his hallway. The neighbour who did it was strung out on drugs. This was 30 years ago, I've never trusted people at my door since. Your life can change just by opening the door. Ffs.

Russ
Hubby and I haven't locked a door since moving to Australia (except for hotel doors and when we were away in another state for 6 weeks). In the UK we never used to lock the door either and often left ground floor windows open. In fact on one occasion we came home on a Sunday night to find the front door wide open. Our first thought was not have we been burgled but how many pheasants we were going to find in the house (answer 2). I'd forgotten to shut the door on the Friday night and in the dark had not seen that a dark solid oak and very old door wasn't shut.

Here we know that rurally, if you find a door locked (or windows shut ) you know the person is away from home for more than just the day.

Hanging by the kitchen door are all the keys for both vehicles, garage (unlocked), woodshed, toolshed and onto the farm and access to all that equipment...

But if you look carefully, at the front gate where we turn in, the big double gates into the field rather than up the farm track, there is a chain, there is a padlock but it isn't closed shut, just closed to.

Russ
I do open my door... in daylight. But then thankfully I have not had anything like that begin to happen. The worst, and by several orders of magnitude less to that experience, has been the efforts of local proselytizers to make me a Jehovah's Witless.

I guess it's a country thing , my bro was the same when he had a 10 acre block in the country, nothing locked. Keys in vehicles.
But here in town doors are locked. Our front door is locked nearly 24/7 as we are in the back garden a lot. Back French doors both open all day. We only have one neighbour.

Russ

I do open my door... in daylight. But then thankfully I have not had anything like that begin to happen. The worst, and by several orders of magnitude less to that experience, has been the efforts of local proselytizers to make me a Jehovah's Witless.

Last religious lot that knocked on my door got a mouthful from me. Mum and dad God botherers but they had two kids with them, obviously theirs, it was a Saturday morning, I ripped into them for torturing their kids, I said they should be playing sport, not hanging around with you losers.
They quickly disappeared, my wife was laughing in the background.

Russ

Last religious lot that knocked on my door got a mouthful from me. Mum and dad God botherers but they had two kids with them, obviously theirs, it was a Saturday morning, I ripped into them for torturing their kids, I said they should be playing sport, not hanging around with you losers.
They quickly disappeared, my wife was laughing in the background.

Russ
Might be a spot for a topic change... but...

This didn't happen to me, but to a couple I was friends with.

The first year they lived in a place the proselytizers came by at 7 am. On New Years Day. This was when we were all in our early 20s, and most folk had been up late on New Year's Eve.

Second year in that house, my friends prepared. Again, the doorbell rang at 7 am. The husband - who sported a black goatee and longish black hair to begin with - went to answer it exactly how he slept - as in wearing nothing. Coming down the stairs, he grabbed the family black cat, and the candelabra with candles he'd situated nearby. Opened the door, peered out. Then called loudly back to his wife... "Hey, M____, the virgin sacrifices are here!"

They vanished. Never had a drop of trouble after.

Here, I do lock some of the doors, but until I can get the French door out back fixed, it isn't locked. Often when I sleep the others aren't locked, either. I do always lock the car, though. I had an attempted car break-in - the windows were open an inch or two and I found raccoon paw prints all over the windows! Yes, they'd attempted breaking and entering!

Back
Top Bottom