Eggs

I still found it strange, not having ever used egg substitutes myself (except 3 small eggs for two large eggs).

Powdered egg was common in the UK during WW2, as eggs were rationed. I've a number of vintage cookery books which have powdered eggs in recipes.

I accept that but that quote was from the internet which was unheard of in the 40s and 50s. Maybe it would be more relevant to offer real egg substitutions for powdered eggs?

I have not seen powdered egg, or any other egg substitutes, in the Third World country in which I currently live.

I see recipes that routinely call for egg substitute in the ingredients. If a person reading that doesn’t buy egg substitute (I know I don’t), they might find that but if it useful.

I still found it strange, not having ever used egg substitutes myself (except 3 small eggs for two large eggs).
One of my sisters-in-law is almost a vegan and rarely buys eggs ( only from cage-free, pasture-raised chickens). When she bakes, she uses egg substitute powder. I would also imagine that this is popular for people who are allergic to eggs or are vegan.

No idea about the powdered egg thing, but as others have said, possibly are hard to obtain? Maybe someone who lives in what we call in the US a "food dessert" where there isn't a grocery store nearby and perhaps only small convenience stores (and they don't own a car or have other transportation), which makes obtaining fresh eggs difficult.

Hundreds of millions of people in the world don't have access to clean drinking water. Not sure about fresh eggs.

CD

Hundreds of millions of people in the world don't have access to clean drinking water. Not sure about fresh eggs.

CD
The people who don't have access to clean drinking water probably aren't worried about what to substitute for fresh eggs in a recipe...

So I was lying in bed this morning with a little bit of a hangover and thinking about TastyReuben...

Not like, that, get your head out of the gutter! I was thinking about this:
Show me your breakfast (2023)

467b9600-73b9-485e-a74f-b0fbb6c612f3-jpeg.jpg

I mentioned to my husband that I was craving a scrambled egg sandwich (mine with cheesy eggs though). He looked at me oddly, and then I said, "You know, white bread, mayonnaise, and scrambled eggs n cheese." He looked at me like I had two heads, so I just made cheesy scrambled eggs, toast, and bacon (ironically he put the eggs right on top of his toast and ate it open-faced). No mayo though. It was still really good.

Back
Top Bottom