Eggstra special eggs.. are they worth it?

Are expensive eggs worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Not fussed either way

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Eat eggs are you mad?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Back when I was young (and the Earth was still cooling), I lived on the Gulf coast, and did a lot of duck hunting during duck hunting season. I would get the ducks processed, and take them to a good friend's mom, and she'd make a huge pot of duck gumbo. OMG that was good.

Wild ducks have a more intense flavor than farm raised ducks. Gumbo was a great way to tone down the gaminess of the wild ducks.

You did have to be careful eating that duck gumbo, because every now and then, you would encounter some steel shot/pellets. :eek: :laugh:
Our long gone butcher used to sell wild duck. I never did really buy into the idea that nearly cracking a tooth on some shot was ‘lucky’ 😆

Yorky who lives in Thailand only ever gets duck eggs. I'm not sure I want to know (or that he knows) how those ducks are kept but the eggs do have luscious looking yolks. His 'egg bleed' photos are infamous here!

The ducks here, at least the ones who lay our duck eggs, are free roaming farm ducks. Any village (even our own which is virtually "in town") has some ducks roaming around. 90% of the time, our duck eggs come from the market(s).

Duck egg 'v' chicken egg:

The ducks here, at least the ones who lay our duck eggs, are free roaming farm ducks. Any village (even our own which is virtually "in town") has some ducks roaming around. 90% of the time, our duck eggs come from the market(s).

Duck egg 'v' chicken egg:

You’re making me want duck eggs waaaay too much 😆

One of my favourite supermarket treats (you know - well done me for doing the shopping, get yourself a little something while you’re here) is a little carton of hard boiled peeled quails eggs that comes with a little sachet of celery salt. Marginally overpriced as well which somehow makes the treat taste better 😆

Do you know the trick of how to peel hard boiled quail's eggs easily? It seems that even many top chefs don't know this...
I have a thread somewhere here.

Have recently discovered these which have fantastic orange yolks:

Screen Shot 2023-04-14 at 21.27.57.png

Here fried with black rice vinegar and Aleppo chilli flakes sprinkled over.

20230413_123056 (1).jpg

Most people here in nz just buy off shelf. I buy from a guy I know who has a egg farm. $20 for 20 large free range eggs. Delivered . This stopped about 8 months ago. Covid stuffed us up.since then my wife buys from supermarket. Still free range but no double yolkers.
New laws have seen no cage eggs here now.

Russ

Yes, eggs from happy chickens taste much better. Everyone who tries our chicken eggs days the same thing. We have a range of breeds of birds, so it's not breed related. They all eat more or less the same thing, that does help and they're are many foods (natural foods) that colour the egg yolk. Many chook feeds contain natural food colouring as a means to colour egg yolk without claiming you're colouring egg yolk. Whole corn is one such natural food colouring and i can always tell when my girls have been feasting in it.

I won't buy shop bought eggs because I care about the conditions the chooks live on. Saying 1,000 birds per hectare (laws in most first world countries are 10 times that for humans conditions) doesn't mean that they have a happy life. All it means is that they have space, nothing more. I like to see the condition the chickens live in and make my own assessment.

Some egg producers now have live webcams so you can see the chickens and how they are living. If I'm happy, I'll buy those, but I prefer to go without eggs if my chooks are not laying for whatever reason. I've usually 1 or 2 birds laying year round, so it's rare we have none.

To me, it is more important the conditions they are kept in than how cheap the eggs are.

Yes, eggs from happy chickens taste much better. Everyone who tries our chicken eggs days the same thing. We have a range of breeds of birds, so it's not breed related. They all eat more or less the same thing, that does help and they're are many foods (natural foods) that colour the egg yolk. Many chook feeds contain natural food colouring as a means to colour egg yolk without claiming you're colouring egg yolk. Whole corn is one such natural food colouring and i can always tell when my girls have been feasting in it.

I won't buy shop bought eggs because I care about the conditions the chooks live on. Saying 1,000 birds per hectare (laws in most first world countries are 10 times that for humans conditions) doesn't mean that they have a happy life. All it means is that they have space, nothing more. I like to see the condition the chickens live in and make my own assessment.

Some egg producers now have live webcams so you can see the chickens and how they are living. If I'm happy, I'll buy those, but I prefer to go without eggs if my chooks are not laying for whatever reason. I've usually 1 or 2 birds laying year round, so it's rare we have none.

To me, it is more important the conditions they are kept in than how cheap the eggs are.
There are some good things happening on that score in the UK

Can you be a vegan and eat eggs?

Back
Top Bottom