Electric kettles across the world

I think I vaguely remember in old movies about homesteaders and settlers in the US ( portraying life in the 1800s) they referred to cooking in a kettle over an open fire or in the fireplace
You can go right down the road from your house and get your very own:

Lehman's Cast Iron Campfire Kettles

Makes the possum extry tender! :laugh:

It's like a vat then?
No, no, no - vats live in kaves.
A vat always conjures up something enormous, like cooking soup for 150 people. They use vats in industrial cooking processes.
Just out of interest I looked up "kettle" and the word comes from Norse or old English, cetel. "A deep container for cooking or serving food".
Modern English English: A container or device in which water is boiled, having a lid spout or handle"
Modern US English: A metallic vessel usually used for boiling liquids"
So that solves it then.
No-one's got a clue :laugh: :laugh:

A vat always conjures up something enormous, like cooking soup for 150 people. They use vats in industrial cooking processes.
Just out of interest I looked up "kettle" and the word comes from Norse or old English, cetel. "A deep container for cooking or serving food".
Modern English English: A container or device in which water is boiled, having a lid spout or handle"
So that solves it then.
I have to emphasize :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

So that solves it then.
I'm blaming the whole dratted thing on the English.
Oxford English Dictionary

karadekoolaid: 'tis a fine kettle of fish we're in now lad, eh?"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom