English gravy?

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
7:52 PM
I make my gravy from pan drippings flour and brown food colouring .
ITS NOT LIKE AMERICAN GRAVY'!!
So for s roast for my family I make a 1 liter jug of it. A few roasts ago I ran out of gravy. What!!°!!
So yesterday I used a 2 liter jug. I made

1.5 litres. Theres about 1/4 cup left over
I believe I make it like the brits as well?
Can you muricans get your head around it??
Pic is leftover

Russ

17161642670754373510635364407791.jpg

Calm down, rascal , your roast dinner gravy is safe.
My dad made proper gravy, with the beef dripping, but since no-one else in the family ate beef, that soon stopped. Time for Bisto gravy. Yep, I could manage that with the roast chicken.
So I'm well over 50 years old and all of a sudden I get broadsided with this "Biscuits and Gravy" thing from the US of A, on a trip to New York.
"You can't do that! " I thought - but it's already done. I've never tried it, but it's basically ( from what I understand) a savoury scone with something like a bechamel sauce, and breakfast sausage added in. I'm going to have some next month in Ohio.
Then, when I thought I knew everything, an Italian American asks me if I ever have Sunday Gravy.
"Yep - of course! On my Roast dinner!"
Wrong - Sunday Gravy is a tomato sauce served in US /Italian households.
So I'm retired, cooking for fun, and I get to cook for the Indian Embassy. Make them some food, which they loved.
"Comments, gentlemen?"
"Food was delicious, but next time you make the Chana dal (Chickpea curry), please make more gravy with it"
I think I'm going to stick with salsa from now on.

I make my gravy from pan drippings flour and brown food colouring .
ITS NOT LIKE AMERICAN GRAVY'!!
So for s roast for my family I make a 1 liter jug of it. A few roasts ago I ran out of gravy. What!!°!!
So yesterday I used a 2 liter jug. I made

1.5 litres. Theres about 1/4 cup left over
I believe I make it like the brits as well?
Can you muricans get your head around it??
Pic is leftover

Russ

View attachment 113734
Yes, it is just like American gravy. I make brown gravy for mashed potatoes pretty often. I use beef pan drippings and flour. No food coloring. It's very common here in the USA for people to have brown gravy at dinner, almost always for mashed potatoes and/or on the meat.

I also make sausage gravy for breakfast sometimes over savory biscuits, yes. At Thanksgiving I make turkey gravy using pan drippings, other times chicken gravy with fried or roasted chicken, etc.

Some people buy it in packets, jars, or cans. I prefer to make it myself from scratch.
00052100098609_A1N1_master.png
Heinz-HomeStyle-Brown-Gravy-12-oz-Jar_b361979c-fdb7-45ef-a587-ee6fffe708c5.c313e6cdd4988575ca...jpeg

Last edited:
Calm down, rascal , your roast dinner gravy is safe.
My dad made proper gravy, with the beef dripping, but since no-one else in the family ate beef, that soon stopped. Time for Bisto gravy. Yep, I could manage that with the roast chicken.
So I'm well over 50 years old and all of a sudden I get broadsided with this "Biscuits and Gravy" thing from the US of A, on a trip to New York.
"You can't do that! " I thought - but it's already done. I've never tried it, but it's basically ( from what I understand) a savoury scone with something like a bechamel sauce, and breakfast sausage added in. I'm going to have some next month in Ohio.
Then, when I thought I knew everything, an Italian American asks me if I ever have Sunday Gravy.
"Yep - of course! On my Roast dinner!"
Wrong - Sunday Gravy is a tomato sauce served in US /Italian households.
So I'm retired, cooking for fun, and I get to cook for the Indian Embassy. Make them some food, which they loved.
"Comments, gentlemen?"
"Food was delicious, but next time you make the Chana dal (Chickpea curry), please make more gravy with it"
I think I'm going to stick with salsa from now on.

Isn't that how chicken tikka massala came into being?

A provocative post from you Rascal! 😆

My sons love gravy, really love it. I have to make at least a litre (250mls each) to go with a Sunday roast and use small individual gravy jugs so fights don't break out over who's taken the most gravy. I also use a dedicated small insulated coffee jug to keep extra gravy warm. I spend a large portion of my time and attention on the gravy part. So yes I'm a big meat gravy maker and lover.

I mostly use onions or shallots, copious amounts of red wine, oodles of fat (usually butter) and often a large dollop of caramelised red onion chutney to add an imperceptible sweet note.
I rarely need gravy browning as the wine is dark.

But I don't shy away from gravy browning if I want it (plain unflavoured caramel extract version, I don't use one with any salt or sugar in it) as gravy is a very visual success or failure.

As for american biscuits and gravy (or upside down sausage cobbler as I told everyone it was called before I served it for breakfast 😆) it went down a storm, it really is a bit of an upside down sausage pie.
Sausage in a white sauce (a chance to go mad with the butter if you like that sort of thing) and a cobbler top (scones) on the bottom. It is not a light breakfast, you want to be ready to eat and hungry before putting that in your stomach, and if it's a hit and you foolishly have seconds (ahem 😳) schedule some sitting down time after 😆

I'm looking forward to having it again.
Not least of all because the gravy part can be made the day before (when you're probably awake) and reheats well.

So yer there you go. My 'life is gravy' think that belongs on the phrases thread 😆

Last edited:
Sunday Gravy is a tomato sauce served in US /Italian households.
Not just a thick, rich tomato sauce though. It has multiple proteins in it so that the whole family, and Italian-American families at the time it came into being were LARGE, had plenty to eat and there was something in the gravy that was a favorite for everyone.

Have to admit I've never tried it, but the descriptions of how it's made, and how/when it's eaten are really interesting. It's obviously a very important element of Italian/American tradition.
Yeah, I met my Italian-American husband 25 years ago and it took me about 10 years before I could make it the "right" way according to his parents, grandmother, cousins, aunts, etc..the restaurant I worked at in Florida in college I was a server and I did eat some of the dishes but never was privy on how they were prepared, and they weren't serving Sunday gravy anyway.

We're having pork ribs with mashed potatoes topped with gravy, and peas on the side. This brown gravy is not pork gravy, it's beef gravy. I had some beef drippings in the refrigerator from the last time I made steaks.
20240520_224015.jpg
20240520_225135.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom