Essential Kitchen Items

I got this on a whim, but it's been fantastic. I have wrist problems and was finding it more and more of an issue opening a bottle of wine, and this little guy makes it a dream.

Almost all the wine bottles I get these days are screw-cap so I rarely need a corkscrew.

Wow, nice find.

She mentions to put the foil cutter back in the base after usage so you won't lose it.
"I" do not need that lecture.

I...more than likely, would probably misplace everything but the foil cutter, then have it lurking around the kitchen to haunt me for the rest of my days!!!
I can tell you that I have misplaced the wine bottle sealer, but that's only because I've never needed it. 🥂

So sorry to hear that he died! :cry:

He was very proud of that smoker.

My favourite kitchen items would be my whetstone to keep my knives super sharp and top notch, colander- this has saved lots of my pasta from falling into the sink! and also my meat mincer- I always use this when I'm making the filling for spring rolls and dumplings and it just makes my life so much easier.

Where to start.
I am a sucker for kitchen gadgets but have put the brakes on and have donated much stuff that was underutilized and taking up much needed storage space.
I no longer have a rice cooker or an electric juicer.
I do have a crock pot. Should have used it yesterday for red beans and sausage.
G likes big, expensive toys.
He has a gas grill and a Weber. He also has an electric smoker and a CharBroil Big Easy (sold as an infrared oil less turkey fryer.)
We have a cast iron meat grinder and a cast iron sausage stuffer. Both are large, heavy and date from the 40's or 50's. They belonged to my Dad. Of course G has an LPG boiling stand and an assortment of boiling pots.
He has gone through numerous vacuum seal machines. We do use it frequently and they die every few years. Last November the last one kicked the bucket. It was hunting season and we were making sausage and processing venison. So his early Christmas present was a professional grade vacuum machine. I am embarrassed to say that it cost over $900. It weighs 85 lbs. so he had to spend another $100+ on a cart. His justification was that he has spent more than that over the years on not so heavy duty vacuum machines. He does have a point. That baby lives in the shop until needed.

My toys:

Stainless clad carbon blade Japanese Chef knife and Japanese boning knife. (My babies)
SpyderCo knife sharpener and a horse butt strop
large cross cut mahogany cutting board.
Immersion blender, Kitchen Aid Mixer, mandolin, micro plane, box grater, kitchen shears, stainless colander, assorted stainless bowls, assorted ramekins, assorted sieves from course to very fine, assorted whisks and wooden utensils, a set of stainless measures from 1 cup down to a smidgen. 2 glass liquid measures. Electric spice grinder. Blender and food processor.
Cook ware - Copper bottom stainless. Something that I got on sale years ago sold as Emeril's cookware. Don't know the manufacturer but it is a good set. Even on sale it was expensive. Calphalon non stick skillet used mostly for eggs. Assorted sizes of cast iron skillets and my can not live without #10 cast iron dutch oven.

All of the other assorted cookware and implements. I really need to get in the drawers and cabinets and purge. Too much "stuff" that takes up space. Not used often enough to justify the space it takes up.

My Niece and her husband are building a new home. Nephew told my niece that she can design the house any way she wants as long as the kitchen is his. For years he worked as a line chef for Brennan's in Houston. He is an excellent chef. We are always talking food, recipes and techniques. I am SOOO jealous. He is getting a 48" dual fuel Viking range!!!:cry:

morning glory

I shopped chefknivestogo.com

My culinary inclined brothers and my nephew-in-law (he was a line chef in a fine dining restaurant in Houston) all agreed that I made very good purchases. Great quality for an amazing price.

How do you sharpen your knives? Whet stones or ceramic? I love my knives and could discuss pros and cons for days.

How do you sharpen your knives? Whet stones or ceramic? I love my knives and could discuss pros and cons for days.

I use a very odd and probably very bad for my knives, device. I'm away from home at the moment but will take a snap of it when I get back. I also have a steel but rarely use it.

This is the knife sharpener that I'm currently using (ceramic).

Finally, the new kitchen tap was installed on Monday. "It's much bigger than I was expecting", said my wife. Not a phrase I get to hear that often. It is taking a bit of getting used to, having three separate control levers.

Back
Top Bottom