Recipe Exploring the Perfect Pairing: Roti and Lunu Miris (Sri Lankan Traditional Food)

Local time
9:39 AM
Food is not just about sustenance; it's about culture, tradition, and the pleasure of indulging in flavors that transport us to distant lands. In Sri Lanka, one such culinary delight is the combination of roti and lunu miris. These two elements come together to create a combination taste that tantalizes the senses. Join us on this journey to know the essence of this delectable duo.​

Roti.png

The Art of Making Roti:

R Roti, a type of flat circular food, holds a special place in Sri Lankan cuisine. Its simplicity lies in the combination of a few basic ingredients: flour, water, salt, and a touch of oil. Yet, the true magic lies in the technique. Whether it's the flaky paratha or the soft and pliable pol roti, each variety offers a unique texture and taste. We'll delve into the diverse world of roti, exploring traditional recipes, variations, and the art of achieving the perfect consistency.​

Here are the steps to make pol roti using the ingredients below provided:
  • Wheat Flour (350g)
  • Onion (1/2 nos.)
  • Curry leaves (10-15 leaves)
  • Green chilies (3 nos.)
  • Scraped Coconut (250g)
  • Salt (1 1/2 Tsp)
  • Water (30ml - 60ml)
  • Coconut oil (Little bit)
1. In a mixing bowl, add 350g of wheat flour.
2. Finely chop 1/2 onion, 10-15 curry leaves, and 3 green chilies. Add them to the mixing bowl.
3. Add 250g of scraped coconut to the bowl.
4. Sprinkle 1 1/2 tsp of salt over the ingredients in the bowl.
5. Gradually add 30ml to 60ml of water to the mixture and start kneading the dough.
6. Knead the dough until it becomes smooth and pliable. If the dough feels too dry, add a little more water. If it feels too sticky, sprinkle some flour.
7. Divide the dough into small portions and roll each portion into a ball.
8. Take a portion of the dough and flatten it with your palm & roll out the dough into a thin, round shape. Aim for a diameter of approximately 6-8 inches.
9. Heat a clay tawa over medium-high heat.
10. Place the rolled-out roti on the hot tawa and cook it for about 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown spots appear.
11. Repeat the process for the remaining dough portions, rolling and cooking each roti individually.
12. Once cooked, remove the rotis from the tawa and serve them hot.

Lunu Miris: A Fiery Condiment:

No exploration of Sri Lankan cuisine is complete without mentioning lunu miris. This is fiery condiment preparing with onions, red chilies, lime juice or tamarind and salt. The result is a punchy, tangy, and spicy relish that adds a burst of flavor to any meal. We'll uncover the secrets behind making an authentic Lunu miris, balancing the ingredients to achieve the desired taste.​

Here are the steps to prepare lunu miris using the ingredients below provided:
  • Onion (01 no.)
  • Chili pieces (2 Tsp )
  • Salt (1/2 Tsp)
  • Tamarind (3 pieces)
1. Chop 1 onion.
2. The chopped onion, 2tsp of chili pieces, and 1/2 tsp of salt & grind the ingredients together until they form a paste.
3. Take 3 pieces of tamarind & remove any seeds. Mix well the tamarind to the onion and chili mixture.
4. Taste the lunu miris and You can add more salt if desired.
5. Transfer the lunu miris to a bowl or container.

Roti and lunu miris represent the heart and soul of Sri Lankan cuisine. They embody the flavors, traditions, and the warmth of a culture that embraces culinary artistry. Whether enjoyed as a street food delight or prepared with love in the comfort of your own kitchen, this remarkable pairing is sure to transport you to the vibrant and captivating world of Sri Lankan gastronomy.
Enjoy your homemade rotis with your favorite Lunu miris!!!.​

I'm fascinated to learn how you make your roti (pol roti). I must give that a try.
As for the lunu miris - looks right up my street. Hot condiment, yum.
I assume you use fresh chiles for this. However, not sure how the tamarind works - 3 pieces would be about three inches ?

However, not sure how the tamarind works - 3 pieces would be about three inches ?
It may be 3 tamarind fruit. I would imagine that in Sri Lanka you can purchase them fresh, unshelled. I used to be occasionally able to in the UK with the sweet tamarind fruit and they were delicious (similar in presentation to a peanut).

I doubt that 3 inches of a compressed block would equate to 3 pieces though.

These are some fresh tamarind dates that I purchased 9 years ago.

DSC_0138.JPG
DSC_0141.jpg
DSC_0136.JPG

Nowadays I have to get tamarind (sour tamarind) in a compressed block which cookingwithsanda may not be familiar with.

16866913605921833915571680227866.jpg

It may be 3 tamarind fruit.
You may well be right. Here it's sold in a block, with the outer skin removed:
1686693121004.png

Back in 2020, a friend gave me a whole SACK full of fresh tamarind. There must have been 10-15 kilos. I spent 4 wonderful days removing the skins, soaking the tamarind and making piles and piles of Tamarind chutney for a huge event.
3 days after I finished...LOCKDOWN!!!

I'm fascinated to learn how you make your roti (pol roti). I must give that a try.
I assume you use fresh chiles for this. However, not sure how the tamarind works - 3 pieces would be about three inches ?

I get tamarind in a jar. Thin down with water. Sweet and absolutely delicious with onion bhajees.

Russ

Thank you for your comment. Here I used dry chili pieces. You can see which Tamarind I used for the lunu miris. Thanks.
1686712447664.png

You may well be right. Here it's sold in a block, with the outer skin removed:
View attachment 101264
Back in 2020, a friend gave me a whole SACK full of fresh tamarind. There must have been 10-15 kilos. I spent 4 wonderful days removing the skins, soaking the tamarind and making piles and piles of Tamarind chutney for a huge event.
3 days after I finished...LOCKDOWN!!!
Usually I can get the skin removed, but here because of biosecurity laws on anything coming into the country, all seeds must be rendered useless, so often they are chopped into small pieces which is annoying to say the least. This time around my block has the skin as you can see. I'm guessing there will be no seeds in this one but who knows.

I get tamarind in a jar. Thin down with water. Sweet and absolutely delicious with onion bhajees.

Russ
Fresh and from a block is much nicer than the concentrate that comes in jars, plus jars often have salt, preservatives and often sugar added. So I try to stick with the blocks and make my own.

Thank you for your comment. Here I used dry chili pieces. You can see which Tamarind I used for the lunu miris. Thanks.
View attachment 101274
Yep, so you've used fresh tamarind dates that have been shelled. It is very unusual to get those outside of their growing regions. I've managed it once.

I'm guessing weight wise, it may have been 25g?

Yep, so you've used fresh tamarind dates that have been shelled. It is very unusual to get those outside of their growing regions. I've managed it once.

I'm guessing weight wise, it may have been 25g?
Thank you for your comment. yes, I used fresh tamarind. I can take it from the tree.
this weight may be about 10-20g

I got fresh tamarind as well, when in season.
The picture posted looks like 3 seeds with the meat around it. Won't be a lot.
For everyone using a block, just start with a real little bit, then add more to taste.
The beans differ in taste but I assume the blocks to be more consistent.

Recipe sounds good and I'll try it soon.
I only have liquid tamarind at the moment, so will have to boil it to thicken, or just accept a liquid form :wink:

I got fresh tamarind as well, when in season.
The picture posted looks like 3 seeds with the meat around it. Won't be a lot.
For everyone using a block, just start with a real little bit, then add more to taste.
The beans differ in taste but I assume the blocks to be more consistent.

Recipe sounds good and I'll try it soon.
I only have liquid tamarind at the moment, so will have to boil it to thicken, or just accept a liquid form :wink:
Thank you for your comment. yes of course, you can try for it. So no problem, you can use liquid tamarind. We can use tamarind with different way. :)

We can find fresh tamarind in Venezuela, but you have to look for it. The blocks are the most common form, and sometimes, there are even plastic-covered "rolls" of tamarind, with added sugar. I think the only use for tamarind here is to make drinks - tamarind juice. I can't recall ever seeing it in other culinary uses.
I make my own Imli (tamarind) chutney,because it's not a product that's available here. I've tried purchased stuff in the US and the UK, and honestly, mine tastes better! (Modesty apart!!)

Naïve general question: is there a difference in cuisine between Sinhalese and Tamil?
Yes of course, there is a difference in cuisine between the Sinhalese and Tamil . Sinhalese and Tamil cuisines maintain their own unique characteristics and flavors. Both are very delicious. :bbq:

Yes of course, there is a difference in cuisine between the Sinhalese and Tamil . Sinhalese and Tamil cuisines maintain their own unique characteristics and flavors. Both are very delicious. :bbq:
Thanks- can you enlighten us about how they differ? Lunu miris is a Sinhalese word, so I'm guessing it's a Sinhalese condiment. :D

Back
Top Bottom