Favorite food/cooking aromas?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
1:26 PM
Thinking of typical food and cooking aromas, I’m sure things like bacon frying, or a roast in the oven, or a simmering sauce, would place high on a lot of people’s list of favorites.

I was struck by one I never would have considered. I made devil’s food cupcakes the other day, minus any frosting, and popped them in a plastic container to keep fresh.

I went to pull a couple out the next evening, and when I took the lid off, I was overwhelmed by an intense cocoa/chocolate/sugar smell that was just wonderful - every bit as good as any of those others I listed, which is funny, because I never think of a finished cake as having much of a defining odor to it, apart from the sickly-sweet smell of some frostings.

What about everyone else? What are some of your favorite kitchen aromas?

well...for me the aroma that spreads around the house while the Bolgonese lasagna is cooked in the oven is priceless

I'm a salt person, not a sweet one! :D

I'm a salt person, not a sweet one! :D

Me too. A lot of us here are savoury rather than sweet oriented.

I find the question really difficult to answer. I love the aromas of so many things. In fact I often spend time in the kitchen opening the tops of herb and spice jars, just to sniff them.

Me too. A lot of us here are savoury rather than sweet oriented.

I find the question really difficult to answer. I love the aromas of so many things. In fact I often spend time in the kitchen opening the tops of herb and spice jars, just to sniff them.
Me too! what about nutmeg? 🤩

The smell of onions and garlic sauteeing makes me feel at home anywhere because almost no good cooking is done without one of those two (imo). I love it when I have a stew on and the aroma spreads through the house. But I actually like cooking smells in general, unless it's fish.

The smell of apple pie baking is also a very nostalgic one, I used to request a specific one every year on my birthday and I still make that one frequently .

Yes, love it. Have you come across tonka beans? This is one spice I find almost too overpowering when sniffing the jar.
never heard about it!
maybe because I'm not passionate in pastry, and I red it's used for sweets!

Back
Top Bottom