Favorite Movies

I agree - James Bond is a work of fiction not an historical reconstruction and frankly, there isn't a single James Bond film which is the true to the original fiction in any case. Plots and scenarios are completely changed and invented. James Bond was written at a time when racism was 'accepted'; a time of white supremacy and imperialism. See this verbatim quote from Goldfinger, the novel as an example:

Does James Bond Have to Be White?

This article goes on to note that even the most recent Bond movies have elements of racism inherent in the plots and scenarios. A black Bond would hopefully change that.
Well I suspect Hollywood will without a doubt embrace diversity and inclusion with the 007 francise and why Hollywood movies that showcase this in the last few years have been so popular and profitable. Keep it up Hollywood, and I pray they do. Cheers.

Just received an old classic movie that I'd never seen before, - "The Battle On The River Plate."

This is about the German pocket battleship Graf Spee and how it was cornered by the British Navy in Montevideo harbor, Uraguay, after a sea battle. To avoid internment, the Graf Spee was scuttled in the middle of the River Plate which is about 100 miles wide, between Uraguay and Argentina.

Here's yet another movie, another that I'd never heard of before - "Army Of Shadows."

It's about the French resistance to Nazi Germany in 1942/1943. The movie is in French language with English subtitles. I have just started watching it and from what I read about it, expect it to be a very good flick.

Here's another new movie DVD that I just received, - "Air Force." I've seen this movie before, about the B-17 "Marry Ann", one of nine B-17s that flew into Pearl Harbor when it was being attacked by the Japanese on December 7th, 1941. It stretches the truth of its ongoing participation in early World War II a bit, after it went on to the Philippines, but is a good movie, all round.

I just received another new movie and one that I have never seen before, - "Bombers B-52." A nice movie, but I think missles will do the job with a bit more certainty. B-52s have alternately been used for pattern (checker board) bombing from high altitudes.

This movie is a drama regarding the initial test phases of the B-52 after the Korean War.

Today, I received a very nostalgic animated movie, - "Hoppity Goes To Town."

This is one of Dave Fleisher's Paramount animations in competition with Walt Disney back in the 1930s and early 40s. This was was released in 1941 and I have fond memories of watching this when I was only a child.

Another new movie which I have never seen before, - "None But The Brave."

This movie is special in that it was the first, if not one of the first, cooperative movie efforts shared by the US and Japan after WWII. The script was written by a Japanese author and it was directed and produced by Frank Sinatra.

The film reflects a Japanese sentiment after the war to establish friendly relations with the USA and is about two groups of soldiers, one Japanese and the other US, marooned on an island without communications and lacking much in terms of supplies. Like the movie "Hell In The Pacific", friendly relations are established to foster mutual support and like "Hell In The Pacific", things ultimately return to opposition and war when the US soldiers fix their radio and get a destroyer sent to get them off the island.

"Hell In The Pacific" was made after "None But The Brave." A third movie that demonstrates cooperation with Japanese forces during World War II that some may be aware of was "The Bridge On The River Kwai."

I just received the new Matrix sequel, - "Matrix Resurrections."

The first half hour of this movie was rather terse and there were other parts where the characters took way too long to explain contexts. Mush of it seemed to rely on rerun scenes. It was somewhat disappointing. Yes, it had its share of Kung Fu fighting and automatic weapons gun fights. What of it?

On the topic of favorite movies, my favorite Japanese film is "Spirited Away", an animation that Roger Ebert called the perfect film -- and he was right.

If you're in North America, they are re-releasing some of the hits from the studio that made "Spirited Away" and they are all worth seeing on the big screen if you have a chance.

Here's a link to find a theater near you.

Studio Ghibli Fest 2022

On the topic of favorite movies, my favorite Japanese film is "Spirited Away", an animation that Roger Ebert called the perfect film -- and he was right.

If you're in North America, they are re-releasing some of the hits from the studio that made "Spirited Away" and they are all worth seeing on the big screen if you have a chance.

Here's a link to find a theater near you.

Studio Ghibli Fest 2022
I would suggest then, if you haven't already seen, to give Princess Mononoke by Miyazaki a watch. Another one of his great films.

Here are some new movies that I am interested in that will be released this year and coming years ...

Indiana Jones 5 2023
Jurassic World: Dominion 06/2022
The Northman 04/2022
Riddick 4: Furia 2023
Top Gun: Maverick 05/2022

I just saw the new Fantastic Beasts movie for the second time yesterday. It's in wide release from this Friday and makes up for part two. This new version is closer in feel and tone to the Harry Potter world you'll remember, but set in an adult's world with "real life" problems.

Back
Top Bottom