Favorite Movies

I have been watching one of my favorite scifi movies, "Blade Runner." I am amazed at how poorly the writer of "Blade Runner" predicted the future of our world. The "Blade Runner" movie takes place in 2019 and already has levitational vehicles, a collapsed climate and ecosystems in severely polluted environments, overrun with an unsustainable population. It has humanity, not just exploring space with manned missions, but colonizing space and mining it for resources. It has synthetic androids fleshed out in human form doing slave labor and military combat, - off world.

How wrong could the writer of "Blade Runner" have been? Humanity today, is no where near that and still has a workable planet, although, climatically changing. Our real nemesis today, turns out to be a pandemic and endemic virus, one that kills, but not everybody. We have economies in turmoil and problems with global distribution and provision of everything from food to high tech. We are a mess, but not in the way that "Blade Runner" predicted. "Blade Runner" should have been set in some later year, like 2183 or something.

As erroneous as its predictions are, I still love the movie.

Watched the new Matrix Resurrection, yeah, no. But seriously, you decide to redo an iconic classic with basically the same plot line and spend 190 million and were expecting to best it, yeah, insanity and Hollywood as it exists now and the reason I don't bother too much with these productions.

I did watch "Don't Look Up" A satire I liked pretty much. Pretty funny.

Last edited:
I have finished watching the foodie movie "Mid-August Lunch" and have comment. The movie is in the Italian language, taking place in Rome, with subtitles. It occurs on an Italian holiday "Farrogosto" which dates back to Emperor Augustus who gave the peasantry holiday for working hard agriculturally.

The movie is quaint and does feature a lot of food, almost continuously. I was hard pressed to find a structured plot, or even a moderate denouement. It seemed to wind on. With that said, the movie seemed a bit flat, but did have some small subtle, it may be supposed, points of humor.

What the movie did feature as very interesting was the level of exposure for the common familial Italian culture. For example, wine is almost an on going beverage which is carried with, outdoors even, to share with people one meets, to help bind and seal good interrelations, especially when purchasing something. And cordiality is very important between people.

The movie involves elders, octogenarians, which does not bother me so much as I am fast approaching that threshold in my life.

I got a new movie delivered today, - "The Thing (2011)." This was released in 2011 and I did not even know about it until last week. It is the prequel to John Carpenter's "The Thing (1982)." It involves the discovery of the The Thing in Antarctic ice by the Norwegians and what happened prior to the US researchers coming into contact with The Thing in John Carpenter's original movie.

Here's John Carpenter's "The Thing (1982)."

I got a new movie delivered today, - "The Thing (2011)." This was released in 2011 and I did not even know about it until last week. It is the prequel to John Carpenter's "The Thing (1982)." It involves the discovery of the The Thing in Antarctic ice by the Norwegians and what happened prior to the US researchers coming into contact with The Thing in John Carpenter's original movie.

Here's John Carpenter's "The Thing (1982)."

John carpenter's version is amazing. The 2011 flick is meh

John carpenter's version is amazing. The 2011 flick is meh

The 2011 version of "The Thing" is a pathetic example of Hollywood social engineering a movie with the pretense of supporting authority roles for women this time. There's a total disconnect between what is claimed to be a prequel to John Carpenter's "The Thing." What happened to the two Norwegians chasing the dog in a helicopter that opened up the 1982 version? What happened to the thermite charges used to uncover the alien space craft? And what was all the stupidity of falling down into the guts of the spacecraft in the 2011 version as it warmed up for flight, having our heroine survive an incredible crevice fall and then wind up being the sole survivor of the whole deal? That part just made the movie go totally flat for the sake of making that social statement.

And now, Hollywood wants to make the next James Bond 007 a black man to make a social statement. I've had all the James Bond that I can stomach now, thank you. The movie is likely to flop. I don't think Morgan Freeman would have ever agreed to take on the role of a black James Bond.

Mind, I don't mind women being portrayed with authority in a movie, but it shouldn't be a context destroying social statement. Same with black actors in movies. They should be in legitimate black character roles and not social statement token substitutes.

No, I am not a racist or a misogynist. I just appreciate good movies without being fed something meant to manipulate my world view.

I'm going to disagree with you. I don't mind gender and/or race casting for roles from movies "back in the day". Lets take James Bond. Nobody outside of a white male could have ever auditioned for the role in the 60's because of racism and sexism. I would like to think that society has changed for the better, and now we can look at literally "anyone" for these roles.

I'm a huge bond fan. I would love to see an African American, Female, ect..... play 007. Something new isn't necessarily something bad. We may get something exciting that we haven't seen before!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to disagree with you. I don't mind gender and/or race casting for roles from movies "back in the day". Lets take James Bond. Nobody outside of a white male could have ever auditioned for the role in the 60's because of racism and sexism. I would like to think that society has changed for the better, and now we can look at literally "anyone" for these roles.

I agree - James Bond is a work of fiction not an historical reconstruction and frankly, there isn't a single James Bond film which is the true to the original fiction in any case. Plots and scenarios are completely changed and invented. James Bond was written at a time when racism was 'accepted'; a time of white supremacy and imperialism. See this verbatim quote from Goldfinger, the novel as an example:

The racism in the Bond novels isn’t subtle. In 1959’s Goldfinger, for example, Fleming writes that “Bond intended to stay alive on his own terms. Those terms included putting Oddjob and any other Korean firmly in his place, which, in Bond’s estimation, was rather lower than apes in the mammalian hierarchy.”

Does James Bond Have to Be White?

This article goes on to note that even the most recent Bond movies have elements of racism inherent in the plots and scenarios. A black Bond would hopefully change that.

Back
Top Bottom