Favorite Movies

I've seen one, not for me. I haven't seen a single thing by Tarantino that I've liked, except for Jackie Brown.
I think what I dislike most about QT is this: my favorite film genres (if you can call them that) are the same as his - exploitation films in all their sub-genres, horror, grindhouse, gialli, and low-budget European imports (what we sometimes refer to as "Eurotrash" movies, but I don't like that term).

Many/most/all of his movies try to emulate and pay homage to these films, and he so misses the mark, IMO, except with Jackie Brown - that's why I like it. His others...he sort of gets the style, but never quite captures the simple brilliance of these genres.

That...and because every talk show I've seen him on, he comes across as an egotistical jerk. :laugh:

Last edited:
I think what I dislike most about QT is this: my favorite film genres (if you can call them that) are the same as his - exploitation films in all their sub-genres, horror, grindhouse, gialli, and low-budget European imports (what we sometimes refer to as "Eurotrash" movies, but I don't like that term).

Many/most/all of his movies try to emulate and pay homage to these films, and he so misses the mark, IMO, except with Jackie Brown - that's why I like it. His others...he sort of gets the style, but never quite captures the simple brilliance of these genres.

That...and because every talk show I've seen him on, he comes across as an egotistical jerk. :laugh:

I have some colleagues and friends who think exactly like you. By my side, I don't feel I'm in total disagreement, so I understand what you mean, and on some things I agree with you, it's as if he wanted to imitate something that has already been done but giving it a more modern and irreverent connotation (He also drew on Sergio Leone), as if he were playing the bad guy but with special effects.

Yet despite this I don't dislike his films, in fact I have my favourite ones of his: Jackie Brown (yes, this one is beautiful), Reservoir Dogs (for me the best ever) and Kill Bill (1). Pulp Fiction I like but I found that it bores me a bit.

Last edited:
Another day and its vertical. I got my coffee brewing and oats at the ready.

The morning movie will be "Predator."

The mid-day movie will be "The Quick and The Dead."

And for the late night movie? - "Robocop."

I'll be going for groceries this morning, so no breakfast today. No coffee.

This morning's movie while waiting to go is "The Untouchables."

I picked "Bat 21" for the mid-day.

And for the late nighter, I will watch "Colors."

Another road trip this morning, means another day without oats and coffee.

I'm starting the day with "The Dead Pool" and Clint Eastwood.

Mid-day, I will watch "Return to Snowy River" and the late night movie will be "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"

I just received "Whiskey Galore" and "The Secret of Santa Vittoria" via US Post this morning. I will watch them both tomorrow.

Good morning all. It's back to oats and coffee, however boring this may be for a breakfast.

I received "Whiskey Galore" and "The Secret of Santa Vittoria" yesterday, so they're in the lineup today.

The breakfast movie is "The Secret of Santa Vittoria."

The mid-day movie will be "Willow", a very likeable movie.

And the lat night movie will be "Whiskey Galore."

The movie "The Secret of Santa Vittoria" is supposed to be a comedy, but I found it to be less than a comedy and more of a drama. I really liked the movie and give it my recommend.

Friday. Coffee and oats and three more movies.

The breakfast movie is "84 Charlie Mopic."

The mid-day movie will be "The Abyss", a movie that has a good start, but is way too long, as it goes through this huge length of film while descending into a trench while blathering on between man and despised wife, on and on and on and the perfect time to make a call to the john - and on and on and on, for what seems like a half hour till the clown hits bottom and discovers that he's all out of oxygen. It gives new meaning to the word - abyss.

The late night movie will be a very nice adventure romance - "Always", a movie about air attack fire fighters, one in particular, who dies and becomes a ghost, tasked with inspiring a new air attack flier. I love aviation movies, true, but this movie is a nice alternative to the usual ratta tat tat war aviation movies.

The "Whiskey Galore" DVD that I received was defective and it would not read on my normal DVD/BluRay player or a special all regions player on my laptop. So I did not watch it last night and can't critique it.

Last night, I watched "Casualties of War", instead.

I will try and add a couple eggs and bacon to the breakfast this morning with my coffee.

The breakfast movie will be "Deep Star Six", the delightful scifi creature feature where the seafood eats people.

The mid-day movie will be "Farewell to The King" and the late night will be "Fat Man & Little Boy."

Good morning all. Coffee is brewing and I just poured the oats.

The Breakfast movie this morning will be "Glory", a movie about the black man's roll in America's civil war.

For mid-day, I will watch "Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade."

And the late night movie I selected is "James Bond, 007, License to Kill."

It's March 1st and only three weeks to go till the equinox, the day when the length of days and nights are equal. This is the beginning of Spring.

Breakfast is oats and coffee with the movie "Kickboxer", Jean Claude Van Damme's 2nd best martial arts movie.

The mid-day movie will be the 1989 "Liviathan", a not so great creature feature in the deep.

And the late night movie will be "The Siege of Firebase Gloria."

Good morning. It's oats and coffee for breakfast with the movie "Star Trek V, The Final Frontier."

The mid-day movie I chose is "Wallace and Gromit: A Grand Day Out." I love these Wallace and Gromit animations. Let's have some cheese.

Since the Wallace and Gromit flick is a short, I will also watch mid-day, "Winter People." This is an interesting drama that is sort of a Hatfield and McCoy feud.

The late nighter will be "Air America" with Mel Gibson. We're not really here.

G'day all. Oats and coffee today as usual.

This morning's movie will be the 1949 version of "Whiskey Galore" which I downloaded yesterday after receiving a bad DVD last week.

The mid-day movie will be "Chicago Joe and The Showgirl", a movie about the true case of the only American serviceman legally hung by the neck til dead by the British, in WWII, - and the woman who moved him to commit a string of crimes which included murder.

The late night movie will be "The Current War", another movie that I downloaded yesterday. This one covers the history of the battle between Thomas Edison and George Westinghouse over the use of DC or AC electric current for powering cities across America. It featured Nickola Tesla's contribution, of course.

Back
Top Bottom