Feeling full eating vegetarian

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
5:09 AM
I made vegetarian meals for dinner a couple times this last week as I was experimenting and found that I do not stay full as long as when I eat meat dishes. I put beans into a couple of the dishes for protein. Is there anything else I can add as a stomach filler or am I just going to need to come to the realization I will need to eat more frequently?

As far as I know, vegetables are usually quite filling, but from what you are saying here, you do not stay full as long as when the dish contains some kind of meat. Maybe you could eat a little more of the vegetables at one sitting, or perhaps add something like sweet potato or plantain which can also be very filling. Otherwise, you could also have a glass of milk or some other beverage after the meal. This may be helpful.

I was going to say beans and lentils tend to help me bulk up meals that I make that are vegetarian.

I also like sweet potato too, like @Caribbean girl mentioned - I find that potatoes/starches like that do help me feel full too. Drinking water before I eat and during my meal assists with that too!

I checked out @morning glory's link, because I've been looking for something like this. I'm not vegetarian, but since the prices of meat and eggs have risen, I'm seeking alternatives to supplement/replace some of the meat in my diet. I do use some of the foods mentioned, but will have to start buying Greek yogurt and figs. I have to limit my intake of beans, because they cause me stomach issues if I eat too many.

Potatoes are a good veggie to incorporate into vegetarian meals and they do tend to stay around in your stomach longer than some other veggies do. Thanks for the help everyone.

When I make vegan meals they're usually a bit light like salads with oil-based dressings and such so to make some dishes seem fuller I add a lot of mushrooms, beans or nuts. They're all a good source of protein too. Starchy foods are also good for this like root crops, potatoes and some pumpkin.

I am really going to have to study different foods and make sure I can have balance with my new healthy living lifestyle. I doubt that I would ever go vegetarian completely because I love a sizzling steak and other meats too much, but I can for sure cut down on my meat intake and save some money while I am at it.

Yes, vegetarian is generally healthier. I will never totally give up meat I know that for sure however, I try to go meatless at least once or twice a week. Some vegetarian entrees can be quite delicious, and the positive effect on your wallet is an added benefit. Good Luck with it! I think you will do fine. There are many great protein substitutes out there.

If you are not doing this often, maybe you are on the process of getting used to it or some sort of transitioning. Did you eat vegetarian food alone or it went with some carbohydrates? Carbs make me feel full and if I try to limit my intake that makes me feel hungry and not satiated.

Balanced vegitarean meal would fill the best of us up pulses ,beans ,hearty Veggies,and what's not to fill you,starchy vegetables ,different potatoes,there is plenty of variation

Back
Top Bottom