Filet Mignon and Garlic Butter Quinoa and Peppercorn Cognac Sauce

Steak

Beef Tenderloin "Filet Mignon"
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
Granulated garlic to taste
2 TBSP Butter
2 TBSP Olive Oil

I cooked mine sous vide followed by a sear. Cook yours as you like.

Sous vide 1 hour - plus (not over 1.5 hours) at 130F/55C
Sear in a hot cast iron pan with olive oil and butter on all sides to make a brown crust

Quinoa

1/2 cup white quinoa
1 cup water
2 TBSP butter
4 cloves minced garlic

Cook quinoa in water as directed on package
Fluff quinoa, stir in butter and garlic

Peppercorn Sauce

3/4 cup beef broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 to 4 TBSP freshly course ground black peppercorns
1/4 cup (50ML bottle) cognac

Combine ingredients except cream in cast iron pan with remains of oil/butter/beef drippings (lower heat first to medium high)
Reduce liquid, then add cream

Plating

Lay down a base of garlic butter quinoa, place Filet Mignon on top, and spoon peppercorn cognac sauce over steak and quinoa

FiletQuinoa001.jpg

CD

Last edited:
Wow, very impressive. That looks rich and decadent. I probably would have added something green, maybe some chopped green onion? Still, it looks fabulous.

Wow, very impressive. That looks rich and decadent. I probably would have added something green, maybe some chopped green onion? Still, it looks fabulous.
I make this same dish, but with green peppercorns, it's delish. I have green ones on my list to buy ATM.

Russ

Filet Mignon is my favorite steak. I don't eat it often because health officials claim that too much red meat can cause cancer, but when I do, it's a treat!!!! :whistling:

Isn't quinoa sort of similar to couse couse? :unsure:
No, not really. Quinoa is a seed from a plant and couscous is made from semolina flour like pasta only smaller and the technique isn't quite the same as making a pasta dough and rolling it out, it's kinda rubbed when adding water and ends up in small pieces. There is also an Israeli couscous that actually look like ball bearings and much bigger but still made with semolina.

Filet Mignon is my favorite steak. I don't eat it often because health officials claim that too much red meat can cause cancer, but when I do, it's a treat!!!! :whistling:
Yeah, Shermie the problem with associations is you can claim just about anything can cause cancer. The actual scientific data has been debunked for decades but the same associations still come up. Cancer loves sugar (glucose) but nobody is saying chocolate cake causes cancer, it must be because cakes don't fart and give off methane lol.

EDIT TO ADD: for people that might find this interesting. The problem with meat and cancer is like anything else we eat there needs to be context and dosage. Traditionally made processed meats like sausages and bacon do have a small association with colon/bowel cancer when 50g are consumed everyday. association is based on classification by the WHO and not how much carcinogenic material is in the product. For example alcohol is in the same classification as prosciutto. Anyway the risk associated with eating bacon everyday of your life is gauged according to epidemiology and increases your risk for colorectal cancer by 18% and this is the most damning study. Ok, so now you think well maybe I shouldn't eat bacon or sausages, salami, prosciutto, parma etc but what they don't disclose is the type of risk. These studies always use relative risk as opposed to actual risk, unless otherwise stated. Relative risk is relative to what the actual baseline risk is. For example what is your chances of getting bowel cancer in the first place, on an individual world perspective. It depends on genetics, where you live, lifestyle etc but lets say everyone has about a 5% chance in getting colorectal cancer. The relative risk would be an 18% increase in the 5% so around 5.6%. That doesn't get the point across very well so they always use the 18% relative risk. The biggest pharmceutical profit makers in the world are statins with a relative risk of 36% or the actual risk of 1 less death for every 1000. Cheers. Sorry I don't mean to derail a thread but sometimes an answer can inspire research and possibly some critical perspective thinking.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom