First Aldi in Louisiana, U.S.

Yes, I bring my own shopping bags sometimes, but they aren't insulated. For quite awhile no stores here would allow anyone to bring their own bags because of covid. I like using their boxes because I tend to put some of our recycling in them before taking stuff out to our big recycling container. We recycle way more stuff than we throw away in our house. That's one thing that drives me crazy about going to Port Arthur, they don't offer recycling in that part of Texas. In Austin they don't offer shopping bags anywhere, if you go to H.E.B, Walgreen's, etc. you have to bring something to put your purchases in.

If I lived in Texas I likely would have insulated bags too, but I live about 10 minutes from Aldi so it's really not necessary. In summer on very hot days I do tend to keep a cooler in my trunk with ice packs if I am making multiple store visits, but our "hot" days are only in the mid to high 80s usually, not like Texas style hot, so not much to worry about.

IKEA used to sell these awesome insulated shpping bags with zippered tops for 6-bucks each. I am down to my last two, and they don't sell them anymore. :(

The zippered tops are the best part, because without them, I know that the very last turn I make before arriving home, open top bags will tip over and scatter groceries all over the back of the car.

CD

IKEA used to sell these awesome insulated shpping bags with zippered tops for 6-bucks each. I am down to my last two, and they don't sell them anymore. :(

The zippered tops are the best part, because without them, I know that the very last turn I make before arriving home, open top bags will tip over and scatter groceries all over the back of the car.

CD
I have a collapsible container for my groceries in my trunk. It doesn't tip over.

I have never been inside of an IKEA, I have no idea if there is even one within 50 miles of me. Probably not.

I have a collapsible container for my groceries in my trunk. It doesn't tip over.

I have never been inside of an IKEA, I have no idea if there is even one within 50 miles of me. Probably not.

If you are ever near one, go there. Even if you don't buy anything, it is a unique experience. We have one in Frisco.

CD

If you are ever near one, go there. Even if you don't buy anything, it is a unique experience. We have one in Frisco.

CD
I heard their Swedish meatballs are gross. I remember that Ed Norton's character in Fight Club bought everything from IKEA.

I heard their Swedish meatballs are gross. I remember that Ed Norton's character in Fight Club bought everything from IKEA.

Their Swedish meatballs are fine, if you like Swedish meatballs. I used to keep some in the freezer for a quick dinner. I haven't had them in a few years.

CD

I will check it out.
ALDI is an excellent source for cheese. Even in my po-dunk town, they carry proper raclette cheese, and interesting things like cranberry cheddar. A lot of their cheese is imported.

Their booze prices are excellent and the quality is very good, for my basic tastes. My average bottle of Prosecco from Kroger is about $15, and the bottle I get from ALDI is half that and tastes noticeably better.

Their fresh meats, especially their Never Anything chicken, get very high marks from from independent reviewers, as does their coffee.

Also, they carry the Ambiano line of budget kitchen small appliances, which also get decent reviews.

We absolutely love their German sausages. We now either go to the proper butcher or ALDI for that. We don’t get sausage from Kroger any longer, except for one local brand they carry, unless it’s something we can’t get anywhere else.

Bring a quarter if you want a shopping cart. You put a quarter in to get a cart, and your get the quarter back when you return the cart. If there is a kid around when I finish with my cart, I let him/her return it and keep the quarter. :laugh:

Some people leave the quarter in the cart for the next person.

CD
:laugh: That was mentioned in the news reports. I think it is great. No stollen carts, no need to pay employees to gather carts, no carts rolling around the lot on a windy day crashing into vehicles. I shop Costco so I keep bags in my car. I use my washable bags at other stores. My curiosity is turning into an itch. I will have to check out Aldi sooner rather than later.

ALDI is an excellent source for cheese. Even in my po-dunk town, they carry proper raclette cheese, and interesting things like cranberry cheddar. A lot of their cheese is imported.

Their booze prices are excellent and the quality is very good, for my basic tastes. My average bottle of Prosecco from Kroger is about $15, and the bottle I get from ALDI is half that and tastes noticeably better.

Their fresh meats, especially their Never Anything chicken, get very high marks from from independent reviewers, as does their coffee.

Also, they carry the Ambiano line of budget kitchen small appliances, which also get decent reviews.

We absolutely love their German sausages. We now either go to the proper butcher or ALDI for that. We don’t get sausage from Kroger any longer, except for one local brand they carry, unless it’s something we can’t get anywhere else.
Good to know. We both love cheese. I will have to compare their liquor prices with Costco. Also, coffee and meat prices.

I’m assuming they do since Sam’s Club sells it as well.
We have 2 Sam's Clubs up here, neither sell booze. Must not have been able to get a liquor license here? Some grocery stores up here have a liquor department, and different locations of the same chains don't.

In the UK its brilliant. Its budget price and good quality. I have an Aldi at the end of my road (literally 4 minutes walk!) but due to the pandemic I've stopped shopping 'in person', so I don't go to supermarkets or any shops any more. I know they make an effort to cater for regional tastes too. I sometimes order their wine on-line (they do wine but not food on-line). Its excellent quality at budget price.
Yeah, agreed. Same goes for Lidl imo, we only have a Lidl near where I live but any of these 2 is good to have near. Neither of them deliver groceries here either.

ALDI ironically has a great luxury range. When I had one near I would often go for the luxury pasta brands, yoghurts, cheeses etc.

Yeah, agreed. Same goes for Lidl imo, we only have a Lidl near where I live but any of these 2 is good to have near. Neither of them deliver groceries here either.

ALDI ironically has a great luxury range. When I had one near I would often go for the luxury pasta brands, yoghurts, cheeses etc.
They also have a fantastic organic product section here. There are 6 locarions within 20 miles of my home. Two of them are new and quite large.

Back
Top Bottom