First attempt: sticky chicken wings

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:24 PM
Chicken wings aren't any where near as popular here in the UK as they are in the US. In fact I don't think many supermarkets stocked them until fairly recently. They are a bargain though! The five quite large wings in the photo cost just £1.

This is my first attempt at cooking wings. As you can see they are a bit burnt especially the wing tips. I note some recipes suggest cutting off the wing tips and discarding.

Do you have any tips about how to cook sticky chicken wings? Should I cut off the tips? What oven temperature is best?

20240526_181744.jpg

Chicken wings aren't any where near as popular here in the UK as they are in the US. In fact I don't think many supermarkets stocked them until fairly recently. They are a bargain though! The five quite large wings in the photo cost just £1.

This is my first attempt at cooking wings. As you can see they are a bit burnt especially the wing tips. I note some recipes suggest cutting off the wing tips and discarding.

Do you have any tips about how to cook sticky chicken wings? Should I cut off the tips? What oven temperature is best?

View attachment 114011
First, those are beautiful. Simply gorgeous.

Second, to answer your question about the tips - if you’re going for American-style bar wings (aka hot wings, Buffalo wings, etc), you’d want to not only cut off the tips, but also cut them at the other joint as well, into flats and drummies.

1716750173927.png

The Kitchn

First, those are beautiful. Simply gorgeous.

Second, to answer your question about the tips - if you’re going for American-style bar wings (aka hot wings, Buffalo wings, etc), you’d want to not only cut off the tips, but also cut them at the other joint as well, into flats and drummies.

View attachment 114012
The Kitchn
Yer thats how the prepared ones are sold here now. I found it quite confusing at first I kept looking at it thinking but that's the wing so where did this tiny drumstick thing come from? 😂

View attachment 114011
They have always sold them here but usually in the pet shop as they were always discarded as dog food.
Lucky dogs!

They look fabulous.
What did you do to them and did you enjoy them?

They have always sold them here but usually in the pet shop as they were always discarded as dog food.
Lucky dogs!

They look fabulous.
What did you do to them and did you enjoy them?

3 ingredients: gochujang paste, yoghurt and the wings. They were good I think. Not really my thing. I tasted a bit of one to see how it was. My son took some away as a snack and will report back. Marinated overnight. I cooked at 175C for 20 mins then turned and cooked another 10 mins.

3 ingredients: gochujang paste, yoghurt and the wings. They were good I think. Not really my thing. I tasted a bit of one to see how it was. My son took some away as a snack and will report back. Marinated overnight. I cooked at 175C for 20 mins then turned and cooked another 10 mins.
I think thats another paste made with wheat that I'll never know what it tastes like 😂

Edit: I take it back, amazon have a gluten free version.

For me, the wing meat is far and away the best-tasting meat on a chicken, and that includes the oyster. It’s just that’s there’s so little of it per chicken.

My favourite too. Although I also love the oyster because they're my cook's perks 😉

I don't eat the wings when I do a whole 'roast' chicken cos my lot would never eat chicken skin or meat fat so I took the only advantage available from that irritation by cooking the chicken completely covered, and that's worth it for moist meat, it just does nothing for the wings, which are then wet and a bit mushy.

Then the little buggers leave home, run out of money and discover hunger means they do like chicken wings after all!
20 years of not cooking ribs, wings, pork belly cos of their meat fat hatred and now they flippin' eat it all! 😆

View attachment 114011
The optimal baking temperature is usually around 200-220 degrees Celsius. It's recommended to preheat the oven before baking. The baking time can vary depending on the size of the wings, but typically takes about 25-30 minutes.

The tips are usually discarded or thrown into a bag, then the freezer for eventual stock making when you have enough.

To avoid burnt areas, either reserve some marinade for glazing and remove as much of the marinade as possible before cooking for about a third of the time, then basting OR tent with foil for about a third of the cooking time, then uncover.

And, yes, your wings look great. I'd eat them in a heartbeat.

My wings are winging their way to my place and I'll be winging my way there tomorrow, soz can't help myself 😆

So I'm thinking I'm going to try out Nagi's recipe. She seems to be the person I have to make the least adjustments to the recipes of. We'll see!

Baked Buffalo Wings - ULTRA CRISPY!!

There's a youtube vid on there of making them that's not bad (and nice and short). Not sure about her coating sauce choice but I like the idea of trying out baking powder to give them super crunch.

Yes, I usually cut off the tip and separate the "flappers" from the "drumettes" to make for easier eating when served. It's no big deal to cook them with the tips on but it's a waste of sauce and seasonings to leave them on since they are going to be discarded and not eaten. Like medtran49 said, freeze them and save them for making chicken stock.

I like the char on wings, personally. Makes for some extra crispy skin. Morning Glory your wings look delicious! Good score on the price, too. Here in the US back in the 70s they were super cheap and it wasn't a popular thing to eat back then. Now they cost more than skinless boneless chicken breasts at the grocery store most of the time, and to eat them in a restaurant, they sometimes cost $10 (usually more) for only 6 wings. Ridiculous.

My son facetimed earlier. He's was a bit sad but when he searched for something to be happy about he said "ooh I do know a nice thing, I've got wings in the fridge for dinner"

I couldn't contain myself I started laughing and said "Of course you have because I'm not there, it's part of your continued campaign to torture me with chicken wings!"

We laughed a lot and I said
"Only yesterday I was telling my forum friends what little buggers you two were not eating any meat fat and depriving me of pork belly, ribs and chicken wings for twenty years and then you move out and now you so n so's eat them all!"

More laughing

"Yer that pork belly I cooked the other day was AMAZING"

"What are you doing?"

Grinning cheekily-
"I'm looking for a pic of it on my phone to send it to you"

"Aaargh"

"Hahahahaa oh yeh I facetimed you and ate it in front of you didn't I, man that was sooo good"

"Aaargh"

"Hahahahaahaaaaaa that's cheered me up"

"Well Mr Schadenfreude I think when I get back you can cook us all pork belly and when you have umm about 20 times then I might forgive you"

🤣😂🤣😂😂

So we're going to the butchers together when I get back and I shall be buying pork belly for him to cook and he wants to join in with the experimental kitchen chicken wings.

So thanks guys! Happy days 😘

My son facetimed earlier. He's was a bit sad but when he searched for something to be happy about he said "ooh I do know a nice thing, I've got wings in the fridge for dinner"

I couldn't contain myself I started laughing and said "Of course you have because I'm not there, it's part of your continued campaign to torture me with chicken wings!"

We laughed a lot and I said
"Only yesterday I was telling my forum friends what little buggers you two were not eating any meat fat and depriving me of pork belly, ribs and chicken wings for twenty years and then you move out and now you so n so's eat them all!"

More laughing

"Yer that pork belly I cooked the other day was AMAZING"

"What are you doing?"

Grinning cheekily-
"I'm looking for a pic of it on my phone to send it to you"

"Aaargh"

"Hahahahaa oh yeh I facetimed you and ate it in front of you didn't I, man that was sooo good"

"Aaargh"

"Hahahahaahaaaaaa that's cheered me up"

"Well Mr Schadenfreude I think when I get back you can cook us all pork belly and when you have umm about 20 times then I might forgive you"

🤣😂🤣😂😂

So we're going to the butchers together when I get back and I shall be buying pork belly for him to cook and he wants to join in with the experimental kitchen chicken wings.

So thanks guys! Happy days 😘
I love that especially!

There's char and then there's burnt. We haven't been back to the restaurant that served me wings that for the most part were burned on 1 side, tough, and dry as sawdust, yet the male server insisted was just char even when I tore 1 open in front of him and proved my point. I posted the pics on here and everyone that posted agreed.

Back
Top Bottom