First step on new pans

Non stick pans are like bicycles with training wheels in my opinion. They're ok for a while but as you get better riding the wheels come off, never to return to them again. Also a total waste of money in the big scheme of things simply because they wear out and will need to be replaced. :whistling:
Maybe if you're only talking about cheap Teflon-coated pans you then you may have a point (they don't last very long). But Teflon-coated is just one non-stick surface, there are other technologies out there. My non-stick anodised aluminium pans were 16 years old when I retired them and they were still in excellent condition with at least another 16 years left in them. The only reason I changed was because they didn't work on induction.

I’m another one who likes All-Clad’s handles. If I were moving to induction and needed new cookware, I’d just make it easy on myself and buy All-Clad. It works, it’s what I’m familiar with, and while not cheap, it’s also not cash-in-the-retirement-account expensive.

Maybe if you're only talking about cheap Teflon-coated pans you then you may have a point (they don't last very long). But Teflon-coated is just one non-stick surface, there are other technologies out there. My non-stick anodised aluminium pans were 16 years old when I retired them and they were still in excellent condition with at least another 16 years left in them. The only reason I changed was because they didn't work on induction.
Yep agreed, anodized is probably the better non stick option and with proper use they will last for years. The problem I have with any non stick is the recommended use and maintenance which limits their use in the real world. Aluminum is a separate issue but personally I don't own any.

Don't get me wrong here, non stick, anodized, aluminum is all fine, people can use what ever they want to get the job done my critique on the subject comes from the professional side where if possible a home cook can use materials that can work better and cost less in the long run.

Scanpan cookware is pretty good, but I found that I liked the shape of the handles on the All-Clad pans more than Scanpans which feature more round handles and can twist in your grip if you're handling a heavy Scanpan frying pan with a single ungloved hand.
I did have a look at the All Clad Copper Core, only range our local physical kitchen store stocks, and then turned it over to see the price and put it back down. They do have the D5 range on their website so may ask if they could get any into their physical store to have a look at.

Funny because it's the handles on the all clad that I don't like. Too narrow.
Just shows we aren't all the same, thankfully

I did have a look at the All Clad Copper Core, only range our local physical kitchen store stocks, and then turned it over to see the price and put it back down. They do have the D5 range on their website so may ask if they could get any into their physical store to have a look at.

Just shows we aren't all the same, thankfully
Yeah, the copper core all clad are really expensive and why I use the aluminum core and aluminum is a very good conductor anyway and probably wouldn't make much difference.

As far as the handles are concerned I do a lot of manipulation (flipping ingredients) continually for some applications and the handle for my hand is too narrow which can made it move side to side and isn't as stable as a wider handle, especially when the pan is loaded. If I'm only using the handle to move the pan then it doesn't matter too much.

Last edited:
I've had French copper for most of my life and also like the patina generated and actually don't like them when they're shinny and look new.

View attachment 81380

If you plan to have a whole slew of copper cookware, you might want to get set up to plan for help keeping them clean, which might require a 2nd job or live-in help! One or two pieces aren't bad, but if all of your cookware is copper lined, then get ready to have to hire a person to clean it for you. One reason why I never bought it. Too much work to try to keep it clean!! :ninja::stop:

If you plan to have a whole slew of copper cookware, you might want to get set up to plan for help keeping them clean, which might require a 2jnd job or live-in help! One or two pieces aren't bad, but if all of your cookware is copper lined, then get ready to have to hire a person to clean it for you. One reason why I never bought it. Too much work to try to keep it clean!! :ninja::stop:
I don't clean the copper GG. I just wash them and leave them to patina naturally.

Copper Core = waste of money.
The D5 is more than sufficient, in fact, I went with the D3 and got the whole set LOL

This was exactly me about 2 years ago - though I hadn't actually replaced the gas hob at that point, but I was planning on it. I loved my old anodised aluminium pans and I wanted something equally robust and non-stick for my induction hob but without a Teflon coating.

In the end I went for the Greenpan Venice Pro range (I got them in the sales from John Lewis) which are ceramic non-stick. When brand new literally nothing sticks to them but of course that level of non-stick-ness doesn't last forever. However after a couple of years I'm still very happy with their performance: they are definitely as good as my old anodised pans. The saucepans very very rarely burn on the bottom (when they do it usually user-error) and the non-stick on the frying pan is still working well.

I try not to use metal utensils in them, though I do occasionally and I have chipped a couple of them, but again, they're no worse than my old anodised pans and it doesn't affect the overall performance.

I have one cast iron pan which is ideal for certain things eg. searing steaks, but I couldn't deal with using cast iron pans every day. Apart from anything else I don't want to scratch or crack my glass hob!

Le Creuset used to be popular back in the 80s, but they are so heavy and as more and more hobs became glass-topped, I wonder if, like me, people were worried that cast iron would damage them?

Glass topped cooktops/hobs? Here they are ceramic topped. They look like glass, but are MUCH harder. I have no problem using my cast itron on my ceramic cooktop. I can't imagine having a glass cooktop -- I don't think you can even get such a thing here.

CD

Glass topped cooktops/hobs? Here they are ceramic topped. They look like glass, but are MUCH harder. I have no problem using my cast itron on my ceramic cooktop. I can't imagine having a glass cooktop -- I don't think you can even get such a thing here.

CD
Same here, I use a 12” cast iron skillet just about every day on my ceramic top, and I’ve dropped it a time or six, with no issue.

Non stick pans are like bicycles with training wheels in my opinion. They're ok for a while but as you get better riding the wheels come off, never to return to them again. Also a total waste of money in the big scheme of things simply because they wear out and will need to be replaced. :whistling:

I like mine, for the things I use them for, like eggs. The main reason for a professional kitchen to not use non-stick pans is longevity, as you mentioned. Under heavy use day-in-an-day-out, they would have to be replaced too often. But, for home cooks, that is generally not an issue. If I get five years out of a non-stick pan, it is worth it for the ease of use and ease of cleaning.

CD

Back
Top Bottom