First step on new pans

Here are 2 of the 5 non stick pans I use made from carbon steel. Bought these 15 yrs ago and they ranged from about 12-20 dollars a pan.

20220415_080239.jpg

I've stopped buying pans made from carbon steel. They are too much of an invitation for rust to set in! :yuck:

I've stopped buying pans made from carbon steel. They are too much of an invitation for rust to set in! :yuck:
I don't think I have ever owned one, but it seems if you washed it and dried it right away it wouldn't be a problem? Are they truly non-stick or does one have to use some sort of oil or fat, I wonder? I know with my new pans I can cook eggs in them without any butter and they slide right off. I like to use butter because it tastes better, but...hmmm. I do use my cast iron skillets pretty often and they are so old and well-seasoned that searing scallops in them is easy, that and searing just about anything else.

I don't think I have ever owned one, but it seems if you washed it and dried it right away it wouldn't be a problem? Are they truly non-stick or does one have to use some sort of oil or fat, I wonder? I know with my new pans I can cook eggs in them without any butter and they slide right off. I like to use butter because it tastes better, but...hmmm. I do use my cast iron skillets pretty often and they are so old and well-seasoned that searing scallops in them is easy, that and searing just about anything else.
I don't think I've ever fried anything in a dry pan sans spices. Yeah, eggs just slide around. I love them and they are the classic French pans for crepes and omelets which are notorious for sticking and sometimes referred to as French carbon. I wash and clean them with my bamboo scrubber that I also use on my carbon steel wok. It takes a while for the Teflon like coating to develop but I would suggest anyone give them a try.

Last thing that i bought made of carbon steel was a wok. It was good, but the blasted rust won't leave it alone!! I've had it with that metal!! :yuck:

Last thing that i bought made of carbon steel was a wok. It was good, but the blasted rust won't leave it alone!! I've had it with that metal!! :yuck:
Yeah, I have a coated wok. But I only use it probably 4x a year (don't faint, Yorky). I still believe that the key to keeping those carbon steel pans has got to be immediately washing and drying them. I can't see how they would rust, otherwise.

Yeah, I have a coated wok. But I only use it probably 4x a year (don't faint, Yorky). I still believe that the key to keeping those carbon steel pans has got to be immediately washing and drying them. I can't see how they would rust, otherwise.

Even when they're dry, they would STILL rust! It's ridiculous!! The home might have some moisture in the home, part of which may settle on things. Some of that will attack the carbon steel cookware. Like Cast iron, carbon steel has to be kept oiled to keep that away. I don't have time to keep on oiling it. Which is why I bought THIS! It also replaces the bambo steamer!

:yuck:

Last edited:
Even when they're dry, they would STILL rust! It's ridiculous!! The home might have some moisture in the home, part of which may settle on things. Some of that will attack the carbon steel cookware. Like Cast iron, carbon steel has to be kept oiled to keep that away. I don't have time to keep on oiling it. Which is why I bought THIS! It also replaces the bambo steamer!View attachment 83689

:yuck:
Okay, that explains a lot. With my having no experience with the carbon steel pans, I had no way of knowing that. And I have been known to let pans soak overnight before so I wasn't saying you were doing anything wrong if you did that, I just was trying to figure out how they were rusting. I do oil my cast iron after each use, it doesn't take me long to do that. I didn't know you had to do that with carbon steel, though.

Your pan (above) looks great to me!

I have two carbon steel pans, and I never use them. They are similar to cast iron, as far as maintenance. Rust is not an issue in North Texas.

I use some kind of fat with any pan I use, even Teflon type (PTFE) non-stick. So, no big deal. Like cast iron, oils spread into a nice layer with carbon steel, instead of pooling up like they do in PTFE pans.

CD

I have two carbon steel pans, and I never use them. They are similar to cast iron, as far as maintenance. Rust is not an issue in North Texas.

I use some kind of fat with any pan I use, even Teflon type (PTFE) non-stick. So, no big deal. Like cast iron, oils spread into a nice layer with carbon steel, instead of pooling up like they do in PTFE pans.

CD
Fat just tastes good.

Before I put them away I put a little oil on a paper towel and wipe the pans down. The rust forms on raw carbon steel and after they've been worked in and have turned black, they no longer rust or almost, but a little oil prevents it and I do that with my wok as well.

Before I put them away I put a little oil on a paper towel and wipe the pans down. The rust forms on raw carbon steel and after they've been worked in and have turned black, they no longer rust or almost, but a little oil prevents it and I do that with my wok as well.
Really great information. One of these days I will probably buy one just to have it. I have a lot of stuff like that, LOL!

Okay, that explains a lot. With my having no experience with the carbon steel pans, I had no way of knowing that. And I have been known to let pans soak overnight before so I wasn't saying you were doing anything wrong if you did that, I just was trying to figure out how they were rusting. I do oil my cast iron after each use, it doesn't take me long to do that. I didn't know you had to do that with carbon steel, though.

Your pan (above) looks great to me!

Thanks, JAS_OH1!!

Personally I'm not a big fan of cast iron although I do have a Staub 'skillet' that I use sometimes. I've in the past cooked with Le Creuset pans and they are certainly not non-stick, plus I find them rather cumbersome.

These days, despite all my years as a cook and using many types of cookware, including rather expensive anodised pans, I've pared back what I use to simple stainless steel saucepans, two non stick frying pans and two sizes of super non stick 'granite finish' chef style pans with glass lids. The latter were not expensive but they are so non stick that I can literally scramble eggs in them without adding any fat and the whole pan remains spotless. They probably won't last forever, but at the price I paid I really don't mind. I have a feeling they are used a lot in India (from watching an Indian cooking channel).
I'm looking at a pots and pans set to give to my stepdaughter for her birthday, and I think that the granitestone might be a good option. I don't want to give her really expensive stuff at the moment because she tends to not take good care of stuff, also she is limited in her cooking (millenials, LOL).

Bedding, Bath Towels, Cookware, Fine China, Wedding & GiftRegistry | Bed Bath & Beyond

If you can open this link, let me know if this is similar to what you have? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom