Recipe Fish Croquettes

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
10:56 PM
G came home yesterday with 2 gallons of Sac a Lait (white perch) fillets. We fried some last night. With the Dish of the Month in mind I had to try making fish croquettes. When I make something new I usually tweek it a few times before I am satisfied with the final product. Not this time. I really nailed it.
I made a cake shape to pan fry in shallow oil. If you are deep frying make ball shapes or traditional croquette shape. Any fish can be used including fresh salmon or tuna. If you use Salmon or Tuna make the cakes thicker so the fish will be medium/medium rare. This same recipe would be great with shrimp (prawns), crab, crawfish or lobster.

INGREDIENTS
1 TBSP EVOO + more for frying
1/4 cup minced onion
2 TBSP minced celery
2 TBSP minced sweet pepper any color or sweet banana peppers. I used sweet bananas because I have an over abundance.
1 TBSP cored and minced Jalapeno pepper
1 TBSP drained capers
1 1/4 Lbs. fish fillets
1/4 cup real Mayonnaise
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs - divided
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 TBSP chopped fresh dill or 1 tsp dried dill
Pinch Cayenne
1 TBSP Benoit's Best Seasoning
Salt
Fresh ground pepper

METHOD

Drain capers and set aside
In a heavy skillet heat 1 TBSP EVOO
Add onions, celery, sweet and hot peppers.
Saute until soft
Add capers and cook an additional 2 minutes.
Remove from the heat and allow to cool
Pat the fish dry and remove any pin bones
Chop fairly fine

In a medium/large bowl combine fish, mayonnaise, garlic, Dijon, Seasoning, cayenne, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup Panko. Add cooked veggies.
Mix well with a spatula or your hands
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap - the wrap needs to touch the fish mixture.
Chill for at least 1 hour.
Divide the mixture into 4 portions. Shape into a ball then press into a cake shape - 1/2" - 3/4" thick ( thicker if using salmon or tuna)
Spread a layer of panko on a plate
Gently press the patty into the panko on both sides. You do not need complete coverage. Repeat with remaining 3 patties.
In a heavy skillet heat 3 or 4 TBSP EVOO
When hot add the patties. Do not crowd. I did two at a time. Cook until golden about 5 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
Serve with a salad, lemon wedges and Homemade Recipe - Tartar Sauce

The story I heard is that Benoit was a pharmacist. Someone close to him had serious health issues and could not have salt. He went on a mission to develop a salt free seasoning that actually tasted good. After much trial and error he found the perfect balance of spices and herbs. His initial market was hospitals and retirement facilities. There was so much demand that he partnered with Targil to produce and package his seasoning mix. For a couple of years I could only find it at local markets. Now most of the national chains carry it.
Not the typical Cajun seasoning blend. Most commercial blends, even the salt free blends, are heavy on the cayenne and light on herbs. Benoit's has just enough cayenne and a nice mixture of other spices and herbs. I use Benoit's and salt to taste. I am always amazed how many locals have never heard of it. If you are curious enough to try it it is available on line.
i don't use it every day. A 12 oz. container will last for several months.

If you are curious enough to try it it is available on line.

I did search - mainly to see if I could see what the ingredients were but I couldn't find any available on-line in the UK. The ingredients seem very few:

On another site:

Ingredients: Granulated Garlic, Granulated Onion, Spices, Dehydrated Parsley, Dehydrated Red Bell Pepper, Paprika.

Back
Top Bottom