fish flavours....

And back to the fish.
You have no idea.

If buttermilk makes fish be not muddy, how can I do that for someone with a dairy allergy? What else can be used to de-muddy fish?

Also Turducken? I never eat things that start with turd.

I don't know, honestly I'd give up on having fish if the OP doesn't like a lot of it, or perhaps just put the ball back in their court and let them choose?

as almost without exception, fish does not have a funky smell or funky taste.
the only fish I find off-putting is Atlantic blue fish - too oily for my tastes.

if a fish has funkies, the first question comes to me is "freshness"

And back to the fish.

I don't know, honestly I'd give up on having fish if the OP doesn't like a lot of it, or perhaps just put the ball back in their court and let them choose?
I've been trying to get her to decide on a Christmas protein since September.

I'm going to suggest insects next.

For anyone still paying attention, she tried the insects idea by getting a bag of snacking insects. They made her ill for a few days....

Cry? Laugh? It's all the damn same.

For anyone still paying attention, she tried the insects idea by getting a bag of snacking insects. They made her ill for a few days....

Cry? Laugh? It's all the damn same.

I wish I could send you some wild pig. They are out of control in Texas. Professional hunters get paid to kill them. They do their best to use the meat, with a lot of it apparently going to feed the poor. I've heard it is good meat, although a bit gamey (like all wild game). You won't find it in supermarkets.

Anyway, it would be something you (and she) have never had.

Apocalypse Sow: Can Anything Stop the Feral Hog Invasion?

CD

I'm going to suggest insects next.

Fried grasshoppers maybe?

grasshoppers.jpg

Dover sole. I've never had halibut taste muddy or fishy, unless it's past its prime. I like cod as well.

I have to say I prefer seafood wild caught over farmed. Too many antibiotics and other things in the water with farmed fish unless they are farmed in giant closed/netted off areas in the open ocean.

What about shrimp, clams, oysters, mussels?

I wish I could send you some wild pig. They are out of control in Texas. Professional hunters get paid to kill them. They do their best to use the meat, with a lot of it apparently going to feed the poor. I've heard it is good meat, although a bit gamey (like all wild game). You won't find it in supermarkets.

Anyway, it would be something you (and she) have never had.

Apocalypse Sow: Can Anything Stop the Feral Hog Invasion?

CD
20years ago, I used to frequent a mongolian BBQ. They always had wild boar and some other weird exotic meat like zebra. I love wild boar. Sadly, she's allergic to pork and boar. She really misses sausages, bacon and ham, especially as all the mainstream alternatives all contain other allergens.

Dover sole. I've never had halibut taste muddy or fishy, unless it's past its prime. I like cod as well.

I have to say I prefer seafood wild caught over farmed. Too many antibiotics and other things in the water with farmed fish unless they are farmed in giant closed/netted off areas in the open ocean.

What about shrimp, clams, oysters, mussels?
Clams, oysters and shrimp stand a chance next year. A surf n turf hot oil fondue seems like a contender for that. Though, I'll probably need to get comfortable with oysters. (We've both had bad experiences with mussles)

She gave in to prudence and chose a safe meat - venison.

20years ago, I used to frequent a mongolian BBQ. They always had wild boar and some other weird exotic meat like zebra. I love wild boar. Sadly, she's allergic to pork and boar. She really misses sausages, bacon and ham, especially as all the mainstream alternatives all contain other allergens.

Clams, oysters and shrimp stand a chance next year. A surf n turf hot oil fondue seems like a contender for that. Though, I'll probably need to get comfortable with oysters. (We've both had bad experiences with mussles)

She gave in to prudence and chose a safe meat - venison.

I've had two bad experiences with mussels. Late seventies and early eighties. I've not had any since.

They brought on an asthma attack and I haven't suffered from asthma since I was 18 years old.

Back
Top Bottom